Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095970 times)

Sil3nt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #10545 on: January 16, 2019, 03:50:05 pm »

"Alright, Let's hope my dwarves are safe during my bridge test... yep, nobody coming up dead. Bridges went up and down just fine. Looks Like nobody died. Although I'm not sure if I could tell."

A bit more than an ingame week later.

URISTMCCARPENTER HAS BEEN MISSING FOR OVER A WEEK

"oh shit."

Ahahahahahah i almost fell from my chair

htamos

• Escaped Lunatic
  • What a sweet little kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10546 on: January 26, 2019, 05:41:56 am »

Nearly everything i have done before discovering the in-game macro function.
All the repetetive micromanagement i can skip with it is like heaven.
Most of my forts usually die more or less worthy, but i remember a chain of wererhinoceros infections, running around in my bedroom area, because i didn't watch if someone was bitten. lol
Or in a terrifying embark undead ogers started knocking on my entrance door and i just think "on no, please wait i'm not ready for you yet"
While i tend to build military up very early, mostly even one of the starting seven is set to it.
I don't remember all of my earlier forts, but i remember a (giant?) bagder invasion, killing or crippling most of my dwarfs, but this one is a classic. :)
Urist stopped building bridge, interrupted by carp.
Urist stopped building bridge, interrupted by sponge.
Urist stopped building bridge: went insane.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10547 on: January 26, 2019, 08:26:43 am »

Most of my forts usually die more or less worthy, but i remember a chain of wererhinoceros infections, running around in my bedroom area, because i didn't watch if someone was bitten. lol
Or in a terrifying embark undead ogers started knocking on my entrance door and i just think "on no, please wait i'm not ready for you yet"
While i tend to build military up very early, mostly even one of the starting seven is set to it.
I don't remember all of my earlier forts, but i remember a (giant?) bagder invasion, killing or crippling most of my dwarfs, but this one is a classic. :)
is there a tutorial on how to use that feature?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

htamos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10548 on: January 26, 2019, 08:44:32 am »

is there a tutorial on how to use that feature?

The official wiki entry seems to make it over complicated, but still ok: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Macros_and_keymaps
I set my keys on F1 to F4 (record,play,save,load), this way you need to clear home hotkey(F1) every time first though
I just tell you how i do it: just prepare everything, for example press D D for digging, move cursor the start spot, press record(ctrl+r), do whatever room size you want and press record again. Every time you press play, it redo every input you do. a new rocord just overwrites the old one therefore the saving option.
Works best if you end it on the last starting spot for the next room, this way i create 2 (opposite of the floor one to) bedrooms just with one key, same with furniture and room definings.
It's really easy, but gives you tons of potencial.
On youtube there should be some guides, i would need to look into that, but if you find a good guide feel free to post it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10549 on: January 27, 2019, 01:12:15 am »

I set my keys on F1 to F4 (record,play,save,load), this way you need to clear home hotkey(F1) every time first though
You don't use repeat (ctrl+u)? I find it useful for bringing goods to the depot and separating fat/tallow stockpiles (over 200 repeats, IIRC.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

htamos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10550 on: January 27, 2019, 03:54:25 am »

You don't use repeat (ctrl+u)? I find it useful for bringing goods to the depot and separating fat/tallow stockpiles (over 200 repeats, IIRC.)
I usually only trade (mostly) finished goods out of stone glass or clay, and then i simply hold Shift and scroll all the way to the bottom to select everything. This way my bins don't get selled, and for trade reasons, you can restrict the stockpile near the trade depot to only take certain materials(and forbid artifact quality), this way you see from the distance, that you select the rigth bins.
Tallow ends up as soap in my hospital, in most games there is not much to butcher, i normally do not hunt, depends on the map really, the potencial overflow gets cooked up.
I have a macro for adventure mode to carve rings, but in most cases you don't really need a macro.
Or what do you mean? I don't see much use for continue a macro in most cases, i rather keep control.
But it could be useful at some times, that's for sure, but i can't remember using it at all in the past, i simply don't need it.
To answer your question, no i don't use continue.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10551 on: February 02, 2019, 11:31:49 am »

Ptl
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10552 on: February 18, 2019, 10:04:50 pm »

I've got one from a fort that was eventually abandoned to rampant FB attack. RIP Arch of Ancients.

Anyway! There was this one dwarf there named Obok. I don't remember what his official job was, but it must have been one of the ones that required going outside since Obok decided he'd like to climb a tree but then remembered he didn't know how to get down. And so was just hanging out in the branches. I don't remember how exactly I found him, but I found him while he was still alive. So, being the benevolent overseer that I am, I sent someone out to cut down the tree to correct this malfunction in dwarven behavior. Now, I was a bit concerned since this tree was overlooking a trench I'd dug to drain a pond to retrieve a poor dwarf's remains. So, the tree gets cut down, but I don't see any sign of him. So I check the trench to see if he fell in there. Nope. No sign of him. I check where the trench emptied, nope, nada.

Where do I find him? The little bugger managed to either jump or step into the branches of the tree on the opposite side of the trench! With his little pet hamster that I didn't know until then that he had with him in his grasp too. I was seriously tempted to just leave him up there. For about a moment until my conscience won out. From that day onward he was known as Treehopper for that little stunt.

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10553 on: February 19, 2019, 03:40:37 pm »

With his little pet hamster that I didn't know until then that he had with him in his grasp too.

Go for the eyes, Urist McBoo!
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10554 on: February 19, 2019, 03:51:02 pm »

Go for the eyes, Urist McBoo!

I'm very glad I understand that reference. XD

ViolentBeetle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10555 on: February 20, 2019, 11:34:13 am »

I think I just caused a laval leak by automining into a magma tube. Why did they not stop digging?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10556 on: February 20, 2019, 08:01:06 pm »

Designated mining.

Raised the wrong bridge.

Mining on the other side of the bridge.

Miner came from over 120 blocks away to arrive on the exact time and spot the 1x2 bridge was slamming down on.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10557 on: February 20, 2019, 08:10:05 pm »

Designated mining.

Raised the wrong bridge.

Mining on the other side of the bridge.

Miner came from over 120 blocks away to arrive on the exact time and spot the 1x2 bridge was slamming down on.
Piece was diagonal to magma vein.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Troll_Kaiser177

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10558 on: February 24, 2019, 01:26:15 pm »

My most recent fortress came and went so quickly -

Embark, begin mining, go make matcha (and forget to pause), excitedly return to Giant Hyenas tearing my single remaining DORF to pieces  :'(
S̸͔̃ ̵̻̔L̸̦̅ ̵̨̊Д̵̮̽ ̵͘ͅV̶̬͛ ̵͕͠Ӟ̸̣́ ̶͚̕ ̴͉͝ T ̴͕̋Ӧ̵̻́ ̵̨̋ ̶̭̂ ̷̧͌Д̵̓ͅ ̶̦̒Я̶̝̾ ̵̄͜М̷̜̉ ̴̮̋О̶͓̒ ̶̝͗К̶̼͐

NeoSilverThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, not again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10559 on: February 26, 2019, 02:20:39 am »

Oh, just about any time I forget to check what's on the Z levels above before digging upwards it turns into one.  Largely due to my luck being just lousy enough that I'll dig into something I shouldn't have.  Like a lake.
"Good" is when a fortress lasts a season without major catastrophy.  "Great" is when it lasts a year.
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 729