Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 704 705 [706] 707 708 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095609 times)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #10575 on: May 04, 2019, 07:42:45 am »

Just read about crops after playing for years and realized only 1 of the underground 6 is edible with no processing required...

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Crop

It did inspire me to get into the textile / paper industries more though.

So a goblin siege arrives, I retract a bridge to force them to swim around - delaying them while my surface dwarves get inside.  While they go inside I'll just work on digging out the lower rooms of the fort some more to make more underground farms. 

Some time later in the notification window:
Urist cancels construct bag, interrupted by a goblin hammerman.

Oops, I never did go back up and order that lever pulled once the dwarves got inside.  Now 40+ goblins are in the main stairway.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 11:49:18 am by Schmaven »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10576 on: May 20, 2019, 12:27:24 pm »

It took a long time for me to figure out that a squad cannot train without a barracks. Good thing no sieges happened.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10577 on: May 25, 2019, 04:23:56 pm »

Oh hey I can use autodump to get rid of all those large clothing items clogging the bedrooms!
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #10578 on: May 25, 2019, 08:40:49 pm »

Wait till you hear about cleanowned!
In a time before time, I had a name.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10579 on: May 26, 2019, 12:10:55 am »

i knew about that one! but this wasn't owned items it was junk from a randgen fortress i'd reclaimed. currently i'm using it to move goblinite to a convenient location near the smelters on a diff fortress.

[edit]also i really hope it saves properly cuz i did a dumb and started to open the sims without closing and saving DF first.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 12:13:34 am by nezclaw »
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10580 on: May 26, 2019, 07:28:29 am »

i knew about that one! but this wasn't owned items it was junk from a randgen fortress i'd reclaimed. currently i'm using it to move goblinite to a convenient location near the smelters on a diff fortress.

[edit]also i really hope it saves properly cuz i did a dumb and started to open the sims without closing and saving DF first.

If you didn't close it, you can click it in the bottom area (taskbar?) and then save and close. I don't think opening something closes you out.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10581 on: May 26, 2019, 04:29:02 pm »

If you didn't close it, you can click it in the bottom area (taskbar?) and then save and close. I don't think opening something closes you out.
i forced quit the sims before it fully booted up. it's the memory i was worried about, since simulations of any kind, (dwarf fortress, sims, kerbal space program), tend to take up a lot of memory and processing power.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10582 on: May 26, 2019, 04:45:43 pm »

I hope it worked.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10583 on: May 27, 2019, 02:11:20 pm »

it did, but now there's a dragon and i don't have much in the way of dwarfy defenses.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10584 on: May 27, 2019, 02:17:27 pm »

it did, but now there's a dragon and i don't have much in the way of dwarfy defenses.
just the way the fort before my current fort died... 3 times reclaiming failed even further as the underground rooms beneath the ocean biome filled with water each time i reclaimed and flooded some levels, whiel that dragon was safe inside the main stairwell.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10585 on: May 27, 2019, 04:25:31 pm »

just the way the fort before my current fort died... 3 times reclaiming failed even further as the underground rooms beneath the ocean biome filled with water each time i reclaimed and flooded some levels, whiel that dragon was safe inside the main stairwell.
The stairwell seems to be the best spot to fight dragons as their fire doesn't have as much room to spread, giving the dwarves a better chance to get close enough for a swing at it.
...Or close enough so that when they are flamed, the molten steel mist that was their armor gets in the dragon's face.  Just throw wave after wave of your own men at it, and eventually you'll win.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10586 on: May 27, 2019, 05:16:30 pm »

When faced with large sieges and flying units, I bravely, gallantly, and proudly shut every entrance, go ‘neener-neener’ out the arrow slits and eat mushroomf until they go away. Works every time. It’s even bettee when it turns out there was an entrance which couldn’t be closed and now the farmers are dead and there’s a cyclops killing the haulers. That was fun.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10587 on: May 29, 2019, 12:15:37 pm »

You mean !FUN!.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10588 on: May 29, 2019, 12:50:05 pm »

When faced with large sieges and flying units, I bravely, gallantly, and proudly shut every entrance, go ‘neener-neener’ out the arrow slits and eat mushroomf until they go away. Works every time. It’s even bettee when it turns out there was an entrance which couldn’t be closed and now the farmers are dead and there’s a cyclops killing the haulers. That was fun.
i try that always and end up without a proper leverroom (and withou linked levers and bridges) near my godlike meetinghall because other tragedies keep my dorfs from completing it.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10589 on: May 30, 2019, 08:36:49 pm »

hahaha yeah well that's basically what i did for the goblin sieges. which is why my militia is understaffed. we're still cleaning up from that mess.

Pages: 1 ... 704 705 [706] 707 708 ... 729