Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095608 times)

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #10590 on: May 30, 2019, 08:40:00 pm »

Probably a common boring one, but I forgot to build a well and my dwarves started almost dying of thirst. I maxed out my embark points and got enough alcohol to completely fill 2 castles, but they still drank all that in a painfully small amount of time. I wouldn't be surprised if their saliva just permanently became ethanol after drinking that much.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10591 on: June 03, 2019, 06:27:41 pm »

I generally have 3000 or so booze as a baseline.

If it gets too low i just have them process plants into booze until they run out of barrels.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10592 on: June 03, 2019, 10:39:39 pm »

oh here's a good one from early in my dorfing career.
hey wait i can undesignate areas to be dug??
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10593 on: June 09, 2019, 02:07:58 pm »

Quite recently, my 4 troll prisoners and 1 goblin prisoner had been stockpiled. Some dwarven merchants arrived. So what did I do? I designated the cages to be brought to the trade depot (they were listed under Pets) and a dwarf promptly went to deliver a troll. But, rather than dragging the cage to the depot, he released the troll and caused mayhem as the troll ran about smacking dwarves. On another note, a stray dog of mine earned a name near the end of this, presumably for killing the troll (which was not reported as dead via announcement, but checking the unit list and Dead/Missing section showed its name).

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10594 on: July 04, 2019, 07:04:53 pm »

yeah that's a known issue.

I was wondering why my dwarfs weren't equipping the goblinite outside to get some armor practice in, and realized that i still had the inside burrow active. and they were training nekkid. oops.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10595 on: July 20, 2019, 04:21:24 am »

moddedgamesproblems #19998:

After a lot of test embarks/world gens I found a wonderful location near a volcano. It turns out there isn't much water/vegetation around here and my civ can't farm. But there are honey bees...LOTS of honey bees.
I forgot to give my civ the "make mead" reaction.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10596 on: July 20, 2019, 05:02:52 am »

After a lot of test embarks/world gens I found a wonderful location near a volcano. It turns out there isn't much water/vegetation around here and my civ can't farm. But there are honey bees...LOTS of honey bees.

Looks like you need to invest in the materials to make honey. Good luck

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #10597 on: July 20, 2019, 08:35:33 am »

Could edit a random existing reaction to become the mead reaction. Or cave plants into drinks?
Could generate the world again from the exported text file of world gen params.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10598 on: July 20, 2019, 08:48:26 am »

Thanks for the suggestions but it won't be needed :)

The embark might not have that much readily available plants to gather but it supports a few different types of fruit bearing trees. After the first couple of years and with a bit of care on which tress i cut down I managed to get enough of them to have a failry steady supply of fruits for brewing purposes.

And I have messed up more reactions other than mead. Off to find out how I can regenerate that world.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 10:29:51 am by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10599 on: July 20, 2019, 12:55:07 pm »

And I have messed up more reactions other than mead. Off to find out how I can regenerate that world.

It Was Inevitable
(really sorry to hear that, iirc there should be something to give the exact gen'd map, and history seed)
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Traynack

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10600 on: July 20, 2019, 10:50:06 pm »

Ok, here's mine: I had created a burrow, an alert system, a military squad, and a front gate... that wasn't connected to a lever. Next few minutes a bunch of goblins come in and I see the "Your fortress has crumbled to its end" screen. *sigh* and we were going so well... oh well. Loosing is fun, right? Right?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10601 on: July 21, 2019, 03:00:16 am »

Ok, here's mine: I had created a burrow, an alert system, a military squad, and a front gate... that wasn't connected to a lever. Next few minutes a bunch of goblins come in and I see the "Your fortress has crumbled to its end" screen. *sigh* and we were going so well... oh well. Loosing is fun, right? Right?
that unconnected gate lever is the classic and i should know by now, but it happens again and again. most times i just can't decide where to put the lever.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #10602 on: July 21, 2019, 05:58:56 am »

Next few minutes a bunch of goblins come in and I see the "Your fortress has crumbled to its end" screen. *sigh*

"pause on animal or citizen death" in the announcements init, is combat watcher's friend!
[ADV_CREATURE_DEATH:A_D:D_D:UCR_A]
[CITIZEN_DEATH:A_D:D_D:UCR_A:P:R]
[PET_DEATH:A_D:D_D:UCR_A:P:R] will nag on butchering, but quite handy to detect the violence
P = pause, R= recenter view, D_D is "mention in fort mode"
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10603 on: July 21, 2019, 05:00:50 pm »

that unconnected gate lever is the classic and i should know by now, but it happens again and again. most times i just can't decide where to put the lever.

I tend to put all my levers in a small room right beside the main dining room to have a near guarantee that someone always has time to pull. The 'N'otes command is very handy in naming them appropiately.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10604 on: July 21, 2019, 09:20:19 pm »

I tend to put all my levers in a small room right beside the main dining room to have a near guarantee that someone always has time to pull. The 'N'otes command is very handy in naming them appropiately.

You can name the levers with q instead of just sticking a note over the top of them. Open up the lever like you're gonna pull it, then hit CTRL+n to name it something. Works with bridges and stuff too, so in a succession fort it lets other players know exactly what bridges the lever hooks to and not just "is the west north gate the one in the caverns or the one on the surface?"
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 729