Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 706 707 [708] 709 710 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095901 times)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #10605 on: July 22, 2019, 06:23:11 am »

I tend to put all my levers in a small room right beside the main dining room to have a near guarantee that someone always has time to pull. The 'N'otes command is very handy in naming them appropiately.

You can name the levers with q instead of just sticking a note over the top of them. Open up the lever like you're gonna pull it, then hit CTRL+n to name it something. Works with bridges and stuff too, so in a succession fort it lets other players know exactly what bridges the lever hooks to and not just "is the west north gate the one in the caverns or the one on the surface?"
thanks, that really helps :)
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10606 on: July 23, 2019, 06:09:33 pm »

We wanted to make a hospital with a waterfall just inside the door.  The first level of Our fort that is in use is just above an aquifer, so We thought that We could just channel a drain into it.

As it turns out, aquifer drains do not work that way.  While one of Our dwarfs did successfully brave the flooding to close the shut-off hatch, the water wheel continued to turn and power the pumps.

Such was the result.  We believe that We should not have allowed water from the pump stack to have a route to the power source.

If We ever feel the need to render the fortress completely uninhabitable, We now have a way.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #10607 on: July 24, 2019, 07:52:21 am »

I like to have corpse/refuse piles underground, and then once they're full, I have them "floored" off so they can't be entered again, so dwarves don't get horrified seeing all that. There was one pile I was trying to block off, but it just so happened that every single time I installed a floor to permanently block off the underground pile, a cat or dwarf would slip through just as the floor was being done, trapping them inside.

I had to remove and re-add that floor so many times. Christ that was annoying.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10608 on: July 24, 2019, 11:32:12 am »

I like to have corpse/refuse piles underground, and then once they're full, I have them "floored" off so they can't be entered again, so dwarves don't get horrified seeing all that. There was one pile I was trying to block off, but it just so happened that every single time I installed a floor to permanently block off the underground pile, a cat or dwarf would slip through just as the floor was being done, trapping them inside.

I had to remove and re-add that floor so many times. Christ that was annoying.
Couldn't you just lock a door instead? Or lock a door and then put a wall in front of the door?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

CmmDmmCD

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10609 on: July 26, 2019, 05:58:37 am »

I would like to share that on my embark, I started with a werecat.
It transformed and infected everyone, (the babies too, but the werecat ignored its cat bretheren), after two kills the werecat was slain by my miner.

hotdeliciousdwarvenpizza

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10610 on: July 30, 2019, 09:32:08 am »

First fort, I ignored the advice to not embark on an aquifer because I didn't think it would be a "big deal". LOL. I couldn't dig more than 2 layers deep. Every other room in my fort was a staircase because I was desperately looking for a spot where there wasn't an aquifer.

On that same fort, the fortress failed because I didn't think to designate seeds to be planted on farm plots... all my dwarfs starved to death.

I guess these are just "noob mistakes" and not true facepalm moments, but looking back on it with what I know now I do cringe a little  :)

Alidus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10611 on: August 06, 2019, 09:48:59 am »

First fort, I ignored the advice to not embark on an aquifer because I didn't think it would be a "big deal". LOL. I couldn't dig more than 2 layers deep. Every other room in my fort was a staircase because I was desperately looking for a spot where there wasn't an aquifer.

On that same fort, the fortress failed because I didn't think to designate seeds to be planted on farm plots... all my dwarfs starved to death.

I guess these are just "noob mistakes" and not true facepalm moments, but looking back on it with what I know now I do cringe a little  :)

I like embarking on the edge of an aquifer. You can make it so it's only on one edge of the map and you can dig down everywhere else. Then you can tap into the side of the aquifer and make a cistern.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10612 on: August 06, 2019, 02:58:54 pm »

That is my preferred water solution hands down.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #10613 on: August 06, 2019, 05:06:13 pm »

Most solutions are water solutions. As are acids.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10614 on: August 06, 2019, 05:28:51 pm »

I prefer untested groundwater thank you very much.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10615 on: August 07, 2019, 02:18:18 pm »

just bought 4 books on sneakdrills thinking about improving my hunters/ambushers' skills - only to find out later that the human settlement "Gil Uhost" shows up as "Sneakdrills" near my fort :D
i 'm still laughing in disbelieve :D
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Tilmar13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10616 on: August 15, 2019, 05:10:45 pm »

Titan shows up to attack my fortress pretty early on in the game, so I turtle up. The lever is pulled, and the I realize I had forgotten to specify a bridge raise direction. Titan strolls across the retracted bridge and kills everyone.
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10617 on: August 17, 2019, 12:30:37 pm »

Attempted to drain some murky ponds at the top of a waterfall cliff via channeling them out over the edge. A few seconds later, two dwarves fall from that.

Quote from: The miner who broke his neck on impact.
So easily broken... Begone fear!
I was close to a waterfall. I'm so relieved.
I've been injured badly. This leaves me so shaken.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10618 on: August 17, 2019, 01:30:12 pm »

My latest "facepalm" moment: A (now ruined) fort of mine all but drowned. I eventually abandoned the place with only 2 citizens left who refused to die. Anyway, I had been about to make a stockpile when: "Digging designation cancelled: damp stone located."
Being foolish and thinking that aquifers tagged tiles below them as damp like actual water does (there was an aquifer layer above the Z-level I was mining in), I ignored the warning and went straight in. Soon enough my main staircase was flooding and dwarves were drowning way down in my tavern by the drawbridge to the first cavern layer (along with some visitors). Fast forward about a season, and I suddenly receive an announcement telling me that a ghost has battered my mayor. I check said mayor and find that his left leg has been amputated. So, now you know why I abandoned that fort (the other citizen at the time was a starving, dehydrated, drowsy child who was somehow still alive with about 5/7 water inside the entire bedroom he or she had gotten trapped in).

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10619 on: August 18, 2019, 09:55:00 pm »

I brought dwarves that had been mauled by werecreatures directly to my hospital, in the center of the fortress, which had zero quarantine measures in place. Predictably, they transformed about a day later, killing a few more dwarves and possibly contaminating many others. Unless there's a miracle I think this fort might be hosed.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 706 707 [708] 709 710 ... 729