Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095904 times)

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #10620 on: August 18, 2019, 10:19:41 pm »

I brought dwarves that had been mauled by werecreatures directly to my hospital, in the center of the fortress, which had zero quarantine measures in place. Predictably, they transformed about a day later, killing a few more dwarves and possibly contaminating many others. Unless there's a miracle I think this fort might be hosed.

Could just try locking and sealing them all in the hospital if there's enough room. They'll all transform and maul each other since they saw the others transform. And ideally they'll all be dead from their wounds before they transform again. Somehow worked for me on my very first fort, though I abandoned that one shortly after for different reasons.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10621 on: August 18, 2019, 11:58:52 pm »

I brought dwarves that had been mauled by werecreatures directly to my hospital, in the center of the fortress, which had zero quarantine measures in place. Predictably, they transformed about a day later, killing a few more dwarves and possibly contaminating many others. Unless there's a miracle I think this fort might be hosed.

Could just try locking and sealing them all in the hospital if there's enough room. They'll all transform and maul each other since they saw the others transform. And ideally they'll all be dead from their wounds before they transform again. Somehow worked for me on my very first fort, though I abandoned that one shortly after for different reasons.

Is locking a door really that effective? I thought its only use was traffic control, keeping your dwarves in or out of certain areas.

Related: I spent a good five minutes trying to figure out why nobody was building a lever. My mechanic has all the right labors enabled, she should pick up the slack, dammit!

... Only after staring at the screen for ten minutes did I realize that she wasn't doing anything because she's unconscious in the hospital and will probably never use her left arm again.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10622 on: August 19, 2019, 12:22:55 am »

Is locking a door really that effective? I thought its only use was traffic control, keeping your dwarves in or out of certain areas.

It'll keep anybody from going in there after you get the infected inside. But werebeasts are building destroyers that can tear up doors. So you'll want to build a wall (covering diagonals too) in front of the door so the infected dwarves can't get past it if/after their werebeast forms tear down the door.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10623 on: August 19, 2019, 12:39:46 am »

It's been a long time, but I thought I'd share something, if I hadn't already. I recalled one of my first ever forts, back in 31.25. I had brought a ton of eggs as food one embark.

I had failed to grasp the concept that eggs need to be cooked, as dwarves had eaten raw meat, prepared, but otherwise raw, fish, and raw mushrooms just fine. You can see where this is going.

Cue about a season or two later when dwarves start dying of starvation, with me not figuring out why until it was too late.

The last dwarf died heating up the pan to fry some eggs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10624 on: August 19, 2019, 01:09:58 am »

It's been a long time, but I thought I'd share something, if I hadn't already. I recalled one of my first ever forts, back in 31.25. I had brought a ton of eggs as food one embark.

I had failed to grasp the concept that eggs need to be cooked, as dwarves had eaten raw meat, prepared, but otherwise raw, fish, and raw mushrooms just fine. You can see where this is going.

Cue about a season or two later when dwarves start dying of starvation, with me not figuring out why until it was too late.

The last dwarf died heating up the pan to fry some eggs.

Reminds me of my first several forts, where even while following a guide I forgot to build a still.

Anyway, I solved the werecreature situation:

I think however I will retire this fort for reasons completely unrelated to the room full of water I have just created.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

ulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10625 on: August 19, 2019, 07:48:00 am »

While working on draining an aquifer, I had a rather large drainage room with floodgates controlled by levers on the same z-level as the gates. I had then made a series of screwpumps to drain the room back over the aquifer to remove the water. So far so good. Then I got distracted by other stuff in the fortress... And When I looked back the lower levels were completely flooded... Seems the drainage had been too good - so that the waterwheels didn't have any water to power them anymore... And then the real facepalm - I hadn't considered pressure - so the water had flooded over the pumps into the mechanics area - and then back into the access tunnels - and now the levers were 3 levels under water....

(I later figured out I could fix this by draining the water out of the map... doing that earlier would have saved a lot of dwarven lives)

Kryten42

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10626 on: August 23, 2019, 01:09:44 pm »

Ah, a perfect place for my first post here :)

My latest facepalm moment: Decided to raid some elves, since my game is a bit too calm for my liking (only one noteworthy gobbo siege so far, after 15 years). They were already at war with me, although I have no idea why(they sent caravans at the start, then stopped and I later discovered I was at war with them) and so I thought I might provoke some action by raiding one of their homes.
So I sent out my main squad of 10 legendary axedorfs to raid and raze that place, hoping to get some revenge action. They went through that place in no time and even brought back a breeding pair of unicorns! (Yay, soon we`ll have unicorn meat). I was really happy, but somehow there was no revenge action from them....checked the world later only to find out that this was apparently the last outpost of them, all other places don't have any inhabitants any more....duh. Since there are also no humans, I am left with the gobbos, which still haven't shown up a second time, although I am amassing wealth as much as I can. Even the artifact adamantine leggins, worth ~1.2 mil I have now displayed in my tavern doesn't seem to do the trick.

asialsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10627 on: August 27, 2019, 05:38:07 am »

"Ah, my water reactor is done at last, now I can-"
Urist McToddler has canceled job. And again. And again.
"Huh. It appears an idiot keeps getting splashed, but refuses to leave. They're not... hurting anything, so I guess I'll just wait until they leave for food, or starve."
A few minutes later...
"Alright, he moved, so now-"
Job cancel intensifies
"WHY ARE THERE NOW FOUR CHILDREN IN MY REACTOR?!"

I may have edited the raws a bit too much. I don't remember them being this dumb.
Off defending the fortress from dragons with a tank, I'm sure.
"All I want is for you to be happy. You won't be happy until I'm happy, so hurry up and shoot the zombies!"

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10628 on: August 28, 2019, 11:59:03 am »

had a surplus of valuable gems (rubies) on the surface and wanted them stored before any Keas could grab them.
i designated my temple to be mined, so i could store the gems there until i got proper rooms set up.
a few months later still no single gem in there.
i check and it's a refuse stockpile :D e and r are close on the keyboard...
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Kryten42

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10629 on: August 29, 2019, 01:01:08 am »

I built my first ever Pumpstack through 14 z-levels to get some water up to my fort. I did read in the wiki that such a stack is fragile and should only one pump get destroyed, the whole stack will collapse. Now if anyone would have told me that deconstructing and axle connected to the top pump will have the same effect...... *sigh* building the whole thing again now

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10630 on: August 29, 2019, 01:03:25 pm »

I built my first ever Pumpstack through 14 z-levels to get some water up to my fort. I did read in the wiki that such a stack is fragile and should only one pump get destroyed, the whole stack will collapse. Now if anyone would have told me that deconstructing and axle connected to the top pump will have the same effect...... *sigh* building the whole thing again now

ooh, yeah. you want to make sure it's connected to something that has a stable foundation that you aren't messing with.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10631 on: August 30, 2019, 03:50:07 am »

i used a 12x12 embark for a "stupid dorf project" with a cliffside on the far left.
it took about 5 Minutes until it finally loaded and i was actually surprised to have it run on 60fps.
then i found that at the position where i need to build the main gate into a cliffside, there was no cliffside, but flat area.
also i don't have a backup of the world, so i just deleted the region.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10632 on: August 30, 2019, 06:04:30 pm »

Tfw you build those sturdy drawbridges to close off the fort only to find out after linking them to the levers that they're set to retract.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10633 on: August 31, 2019, 09:45:58 pm »

I swear this has killed more fortesses than any forgotten beast.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10634 on: September 01, 2019, 05:19:33 pm »

Of course, sometimes a forgotten beast is involved...
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 729