Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 1442209 times)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #10665 on: October 22, 2019, 02:30:24 pm »

I have a cross post between "Face Palm" and "What's going on?" threads.
I'm more worried whether I have sufficient drainage when I flip the second lever to power up the misty waterfall in the temple. My engineers say it'll be fine, but that's what they said about the waterwheel sluice, too.

From the conclusions of the Soggy Aftermath Committee: "Real time flow readings from the outlet show that the drain was working as predicted and could have accommodated more. It was the pump stack that was overpowered, spraying water well beyond the containment radius of the waterfall feature."

I've just experienced a practical lesson in how pressure puts water in the 'dorfy nearest' tile, and NOT in the downmost available tile. The inadvertent good news is that the inlet also had less pressure from the brook than anticipated, due to my same misapprehension farther upstream. The two failures partially cancelled each other and made it a very slow flood.

TheCrimsonDM

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10666 on: October 31, 2019, 08:08:02 am »

Spent the past two or three years in game trying to make axes so someone would cut down some trees on the surface. Still had plenty of wood so it wasn't a big concern, but it was weird that no one would cut down a single tree so I could build a surface tavern. Lo and behold I realize that not a single dwarf had the wood cutting skill enabled because my only wood cutter died in a temple brawl years ago... needless to say, I had my facepalm moment.

At least i have a lot of axes now...

KaleNipClaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10667 on: October 31, 2019, 07:37:30 pm »

I ordered a dwarf to dig a lone, post-channeling wall. It was load-bearing, of course. There was blood. Thankfully I have a medical dwarf. Not-so-thankfully, that dwarf is also my cleaner.
I am a mutant dwarf, it's official.

KaleNipClaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10668 on: November 05, 2019, 02:39:52 am »

Okay, so I am officially the worst Overseer ever. I embarked in an evil Tundra, and some Profane Ash drifted by. Yeah, the stuff that zombifies and kills. I didn't reactivate the Civilian Alert. Everyone died. Fun in a couple of days.
I am a mutant dwarf, it's official.

Steedat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10669 on: November 18, 2019, 09:18:06 am »

First Weretortoise Attack:
Me: "Uh-oh, looks like trouble. Better seal the fort..."
*First bridge raises. Second bridge...retracts.*
Me: "...Oh crap."
(Full disclosure, I DFHack-'exterminated' the tortoise; I didn't want to lose the fort to a bone-headed mistake.)

Second Weretortoise Attack:
Me: "Again? Good thing I fixed those bridges."
*First bridge raises*
*Second bridge raises*
*Weretortoise paths through a diagonal crack in the wall next to the second bridge*
Me: "Son of a bi-"

One Month Later
Me: "Okay, bridges are right, walls are secure. Three dwarves dead, but all of the potentially infected are quarantined in 'hospital' cells. Oh look, the dwarven caravan is here."
*Urist McWrong-Place-Wrong-Time cancels Haul Item: interrupted by weretortoise Planter*
Me: "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFU-"
(I lost 4 more dwarves, including a very good broker and legendary weaver, not including the veteran planter-turned-ninja turtle)

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10670 on: November 21, 2019, 06:33:21 pm »

Two years on, I've had so many visitors petition to join my fort for soldiery that (aside from the dwarf captains) I have two full squads' worth of mercenaries training full-time. Thus far I've defeated a giant, a cyclops, and two (admittedly small) goblin sieges with zero casualties. Not sure if it is norma to get this many mercenaries or if it's a quirk of my fort's location/world.

Edit: Actually, the face-palm is that I meant to post this in the 'What's going on in your fortress' thread.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 09:10:26 am by mwanafalsafa »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #10671 on: November 21, 2019, 11:31:16 pm »

Spent five months piercing an aquifer and setting up the main staircase just mine a room directly under it like a fool before I could breach the caverns.
May Armok give me strength. Or scuba miners.
In a time before time, I had a name.

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10672 on: November 22, 2019, 05:26:55 am »

Spent five months piercing an aquifer and setting up the main staircase just mine a room directly under it like a fool before I could breach the caverns.

these days i use marker-only designations to spell out "NO DIG" in big letters on the level under the aquifer as soon as i bust through

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10673 on: November 22, 2019, 10:17:05 am »

Someone in my legacy game did the same, and I have been grateful ever since. A good habit.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • "Sanity impaired"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10674 on: November 22, 2019, 02:53:42 pm »

I've had my fair share of floodings and leakages. Some involved water. Some involved magma. Nowadays I usually install double-locks on anything remotely related to fluid movement-- doors are your friend!

This is beautiful and I am keeping it safe in my sig-storage forever. ^-^
Come play Mafia with us!
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #10675 on: December 25, 2019, 03:42:51 pm »

So I get sieged, although I don't panic because I had a nice setup. I always have 2 squads trained: one melee and one ranged. I'm sure everyone does that. I send both squads to deal with the siege but one of them gets absolutely slaughtered. Come to find out, I incorrectly set up the barracks for the ranged squad, so the game never knew they had to be trained. I may as well have sent 10 elementary school kids to Afghanistan. The amount of grieving dwarves I had was insane.

There's pieces of their body parts still stuck in the moat, as a reminder of my mistake.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10676 on: December 26, 2019, 06:34:21 am »

i actually never get a military up and running because everything beyond giving them basic melee or ranged equipment includes too many delicate steps that fail once just one of them isnt done right.

it's easier to build a minecart QSP setup for the whole metal industry than setting up a military with a schedule to train 4months, be on station/patrol 4 months and work the rest of the year.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • "Sanity impaired"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10677 on: December 26, 2019, 11:57:18 am »

All that scheduling stuff isn't really necessary.

In most my forts, I'll set up lots of melee-combat squads-of-3, set them all to train at the same one-weapon-rack barrack, place that barrack within the sole entrance to the fort, and tell all the soldiers to train always. If I need the soldiers working as haulers or something, I set all the squads to Inactive. If I want the soldiers to take a break, I remove the barracks designation for a bit. It's very convenient!

Marksdwarves are fiddly. I don't bother setting up archery ranges-- easier just to train by combat. I only ever really use marksdwarves for beast-slaying anyway, and that's a pretty low-risk task if done right.
Come play Mafia with us!
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Resting
    • View Profile
« Reply #10678 on: December 26, 2019, 02:09:42 pm »

All that scheduling stuff isn't really necessary.

In most my forts, I'll set up lots of melee-combat squads-of-3, set them all to train at the same one-weapon-rack barrack, place that barrack within the sole entrance to the fort, and tell all the soldiers to train always.

I agree, scheduling isn't necessary at all.  I have about half my dwarves train 100% of the time in a barracks by the main entry, and they have no issues.  I just make sure that any dwarf assigned to the military does not have the propensity to go berserk, and there are no issues, even if they get stressed.  Worst case scenario, one will succumb to stress, stumble around for a bit and then starve to death.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10679 on: December 26, 2019, 02:50:49 pm »

thanks, you gave me hope to try it again.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)
Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714