Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095687 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #10665 on: November 22, 2019, 02:53:42 pm »

I've had my fair share of floodings and leakages. Some involved water. Some involved magma. Nowadays I usually install double-locks on anything remotely related to fluid movement-- doors are your friend!

May Armok give me strength. Or scuba miners.

This is beautiful and I am keeping it safe in my sig-storage forever. ^-^
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #10666 on: December 25, 2019, 03:42:51 pm »

So I get sieged, although I don't panic because I had a nice setup. I always have 2 squads trained: one melee and one ranged. I'm sure everyone does that. I send both squads to deal with the siege but one of them gets absolutely slaughtered. Come to find out, I incorrectly set up the barracks for the ranged squad, so the game never knew they had to be trained. I may as well have sent 10 elementary school kids to Afghanistan. The amount of grieving dwarves I had was insane.

There's pieces of their body parts still stuck in the moat, as a reminder of my mistake.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10667 on: December 26, 2019, 06:34:21 am »

i actually never get a military up and running because everything beyond giving them basic melee or ranged equipment includes too many delicate steps that fail once just one of them isnt done right.

it's easier to build a minecart QSP setup for the whole metal industry than setting up a military with a schedule to train 4months, be on station/patrol 4 months and work the rest of the year.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10668 on: December 26, 2019, 11:57:18 am »

All that scheduling stuff isn't really necessary.

In most my forts, I'll set up lots of melee-combat squads-of-3, set them all to train at the same one-weapon-rack barrack, place that barrack within the sole entrance to the fort, and tell all the soldiers to train always. If I need the soldiers working as haulers or something, I set all the squads to Inactive. If I want the soldiers to take a break, I remove the barracks designation for a bit. It's very convenient!

Marksdwarves are fiddly. I don't bother setting up archery ranges-- easier just to train by combat. I only ever really use marksdwarves for beast-slaying anyway, and that's a pretty low-risk task if done right.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10669 on: December 26, 2019, 02:09:42 pm »

All that scheduling stuff isn't really necessary.

In most my forts, I'll set up lots of melee-combat squads-of-3, set them all to train at the same one-weapon-rack barrack, place that barrack within the sole entrance to the fort, and tell all the soldiers to train always.

I agree, scheduling isn't necessary at all.  I have about half my dwarves train 100% of the time in a barracks by the main entry, and they have no issues.  I just make sure that any dwarf assigned to the military does not have the propensity to go berserk, and there are no issues, even if they get stressed.  Worst case scenario, one will succumb to stress, stumble around for a bit and then starve to death.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10670 on: December 26, 2019, 02:50:49 pm »

thanks, you gave me hope to try it again.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #10671 on: December 27, 2019, 06:31:51 pm »

I was very excited to realize that my channeling error for my magma forge wasn't a waste. Placing them directly under the blocked tiles only saves you the bother of a grate!

A little later, I notice that half my fort is on fire. The culprit? A !!cat!! has somehow caught on fire and is running around in what I assuming would be a very reasonable approximation of a cat with his tail on fire.

Pausing for a careful scan of who might have set the cat on fire (I first suspected a tantruming dwarf), I eventually find a dead fire snake near the forges.

*headdesk*

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10672 on: December 27, 2019, 07:34:08 pm »

a titan appeared and jumped several tens of meters into my animal pen to slaughter my plentiful lifestock.
atleast that gave me time to close the main gate before he could do any real harm...
still wondering if he would've been caught in my cagetraps if i had finished those on the only entrances of my animal pen... i'll never know because my dorfs were too lazy to build them!

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #10673 on: December 27, 2019, 07:41:58 pm »

So, you guys know how you can just set a minecart to guide until you finish the railtracks and the dorfs just pick the thing up and haul it?
I didn't. Not until some minutes ago, that is.

I could be forging equipment ages ago.
In a time before time, I had a name.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10674 on: December 27, 2019, 08:10:17 pm »

My new world gen is just over 2 gigs in size.  and thats without me playing yet....
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10675 on: December 30, 2019, 02:39:26 am »

i failed to account for water pressure when trying to make a fish trapping chamber a couple z-levels below sea level. as a result, my fort flooded between one tick and the next.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Ljas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10676 on: December 30, 2019, 10:58:58 am »

I found out the drawbridge I was using to isolate my fort from the outside world was destroyed at some point, probably by a tantruming dwarf. The ideal way to find out would have been on my own, before the 200+ strong goblin army was walking down the ramp towards my entrance.
It's amazing how fast a handful of swordmasters backed up by the rest of the fort as recruits can melt so many goblins and trolls, but keeping the 24 depressed survivors stumbling around in miasma didn't feel meaningful anymore. Better luck next fort I guess.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10677 on: December 30, 2019, 01:50:11 pm »

Channeled stairs with boulder, and got bonked after. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10678 on: December 30, 2019, 04:10:15 pm »

i tapped the brook carefully, leading the water ~50 tiles through an underground aqueduct to a place where it can be pumped into a small cistern and a well above it.
i even installed two drawbridges to conveniently being able to close the aqueduct at the brook or shortly before the pump... but i put the levers next to the pump, so the titam went in and destroyed the pump and both levers while both gates were open and the aqueduct is flooded.
i got no easy way of setting it dry again to reenable the gates.
i'll have to either put a windmill or waterwheel at the brook and install a series of pumps there or abandon that cistern and well and only keep tha aqueduct and keep the aqueduct levers inside the fort this time.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10679 on: January 01, 2020, 03:05:44 am »

I finally trapped the giant cave spider who had been eating my monster slayers. With careful preparation, lots of debugging, and much stealing from Reddit posts, I triumphantly unveiled a fully automated silk farm, and set it to work. After a year or so, however, I discovered that the spider had gotten the last laugh.

The inventory screen of every one of my dwarves is now approximately:
≡Relicsparkle the Bulbous Dominion's giant cave spid
☼Relicsparkle the Bulbous Dominion's giant cave spid
Relicsparkle the Bulbous Dominion's giant cave spide
-Relicsparkle the Bulbous Dominion's giant cave spid
☼Relicsparkle the Bulbous Dominion's giant cave spid

Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714 ... 729