Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 712 713 [714] 715 716 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095605 times)

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #10695 on: February 25, 2020, 11:55:25 am »

I haven't dealt with aquifers for years. Like the thought of the 'light aquifers'.
Didn't realize they also spread water down.
So now I'm force to relocate my initial workshops and temporary dorms.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

UUU

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10696 on: February 26, 2020, 03:47:25 am »

Told my dwarfs to open up my fort after a siege had been pulverised by my Kruggsmash inspired minecart traps. As a steady stream of dwarfs dutifully marched around collecting all the goblinite I realized the job on the front door lever had been set to repeat; half a dozen haulers had already been pancaked and a couple more thrown violently around the hallway.

Before that there were the dwarfs who got stuck on the wrong side of that same bridge at the start of the siege and had no choice but to christen the trap corridor themselves (no survivors), before that there were the accidents in my river diversion program (3 drowned miners and a baby), and then before all of this I had my entire military of 5 dwarves (only competent/skilled but fully armed and armored) get wiped out by some kind of undead axe wielding "Crypt hunter" who came to steal an artifact.

Its a good time to be in the slab and coffin business

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10697 on: March 03, 2020, 04:42:33 am »

I've played DF for years.

I just spent an entire year with my main food stockpile set to armor instead of food. I spent most of the first year mitigating miasma that I couldn't figure out...

Xcalibwr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10698 on: March 07, 2020, 02:56:16 pm »

Every time I begin an embark I set the work orders after I disable hauling on the miners.

I set it so fast that I also pressed 'f' so the farmers would ignore food. It went on like that for a few seasons. I was frustrated and gave myself a laugh when I figured out.

Can I get an "F" for my lost pig tail crops?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10699 on: March 07, 2020, 07:26:02 pm »

Any time I build a bridge and don't find out I left it retracting until after I have connected it to a lever.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10700 on: March 16, 2020, 05:32:08 am »

Forgot to prospect the metals when embarking on a new fort. No iron. Ha ha ha balls to that. Then I posted it in the wring thread.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10701 on: March 21, 2020, 06:46:00 am »

I quickly read a unit name as "Master of Fish" rather than what it really was: "Monster of Ash".  I kept wondering what a Master of Fish does - is he some sort of super fisher dwarf?  Does he use a fishing pole?  Or is he some sort of leader of the fish who can control them?

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #10702 on: March 21, 2020, 04:26:02 pm »

Now I want Toady to add Master of Fish to clear this up.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10703 on: March 21, 2020, 08:08:49 pm »

Master of Fish is a fish larger than every other fish in the game, and has telekinetic powers, as well as being able to turn any land it touches into water

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10704 on: March 24, 2020, 11:48:21 pm »

I had a ~5x5x3 hole dug right next to a big wall. The zombies came and I sent my army to go fight them.  Instead of going around the hole, two of them decided to hang from the wall and cross the hole.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

basedbeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10705 on: March 29, 2020, 07:22:16 pm »

Several members of my intelligent undead military weren't equipping gauntlets and/or shields, despite having surplus masterwork steel to choose from. It was only when playing around with Therapist filter scripts that I noticed an overlap between dwarves not equipping single gauntlets and those missing limbs...

ColdDane

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10706 on: April 03, 2020, 12:50:09 am »

Just started playing DF and are now in my first relatively successful fort, after my previous attempt quickly was lost due to a weremarmot.

Got my 1st mood, so my 1st artifact. Hurray! What do I get? a glove. Not a set of gloves, but a left glove. 2nd artifact is a silver scepter, that I can live with! Third artifact; another glove. I check description; it’s another left glove!. My dwarves are morons! I guess I have to wait a few eternities for the RNG to create 2 x artifact right right gloves.

(Already love DF)

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10707 on: April 10, 2020, 01:31:55 am »

We are constructing a Goblinite Processing Unit, and just ran a test of the Bridges used for separating the Goblinite from its Matrix.  One pair rose towards the Centre as We desired.

The other Set retracted.

We are going to be making some Adjustments.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10708 on: April 21, 2020, 01:18:17 pm »

My prison is designated as a no specific deity prayer zone so prisoners can spend some time reflecting about their crimes. It's a very nice prison, with beds, tables, a barrel of food in each cell, and even a grate with access to water.

Normally it stays empty, but every now and then a tantruming dwarf ends there after punching someone, like Thickut the Potash Maker. While trying to figure out what could we do about his unhappiness, we noticed he was somewhat embarrassed about drinking water through the floor grate. Figured it was about time to upgrade all cells with their own well.

Now, from time to time good citizens also walk in to pray along the prisoners. This was the case of one of the fort's many diagnosers. In fact, he was so enraptured, he didn't even notice a worker removing the grate under his knees.

Unnecessary to say, the poor dunked pious dwarf had little familiarity with deep water.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10709 on: April 23, 2020, 10:21:46 am »

A giant undead grasshopper was causing floor constructions to get suspended.  I sent the adamantine equipped mace lord squad after it.  Usually 1 hit to the head will mangle it.  But they fought it right next to the magma moat, and the grasshopper pushed 2 mace lords right into the magma like it was nothing...
Pages: 1 ... 712 713 [714] 715 716 ... 729