Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095606 times)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #10710 on: April 23, 2020, 10:40:01 am »

A giant undead grasshopper was causing floor constructions to get suspended.  I sent the adamantine equipped mace lord squad after it.  Usually 1 hit to the head will mangle it.  But they fought it right next to the magma moat, and the grasshopper pushed 2 mace lords right into the magma like it was nothing...

Please tell me your mace lords don't have admantine maces.  Those things are only good for giving to hammerers.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10711 on: April 23, 2020, 12:33:56 pm »

A giant undead grasshopper was causing floor constructions to get suspended.  I sent the adamantine equipped mace lord squad after it.  Usually 1 hit to the head will mangle it.  But they fought it right next to the magma moat, and the grasshopper pushed 2 mace lords right into the magma like it was nothing...
how big was the grasshopper? Normal size? How was it able to push two giants? Do grasshoppers learn?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10712 on: April 23, 2020, 01:14:13 pm »

The mace lords have either silver, platinum or rose gold maces.  Just adamantine armor like gauntlets, high boots, etc.  The giant grasshoppers are about 3 times the size of a dwarf.  They may have just dodged into the magma, but it's been pretty consistent in my forts that any fight with the undead near an edge will result in dwarves falling off the edge for some reason.  In hindsight, I should have sent a more expendable squad.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10713 on: April 23, 2020, 04:06:12 pm »

Oh, somehow I missed the word giant, whoops

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10714 on: April 23, 2020, 06:44:11 pm »

The mace lords have either silver, platinum or rose gold maces.  Just adamantine armor like gauntlets, high boots, etc.  The giant grasshoppers are about 3 times the size of a dwarf.  They may have just dodged into the magma, but it's been pretty consistent in my forts that any fight with the undead near an edge will result in dwarves falling off the edge for some reason.  In hindsight, I should have sent a more expendable squad.
Zombies charge a lot, which if not dodged might knock back people, so there's more opportunity to fall down a pit.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10715 on: April 25, 2020, 11:55:19 pm »

I am getting used to using the manager. I like it a lot. I realized I was getting lots of reports of coffins being made, and wondered... I thought I had set it to 20. It was set to infinity. I now have ~150 coffins. Ready for !!fun!!
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10716 on: April 26, 2020, 01:39:16 pm »

I tend to make coffins a lot, so I have them ready and buried for when deaths occur
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 09:42:57 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10717 on: April 26, 2020, 09:01:36 pm »

I am getting used to using the manager. I like it a lot. I realized I was getting lots of reports of coffins being made, and wondered... I thought I had set it to 20. It was set to infinity. I now have ~150 coffins. Ready for !!fun!!
that happened in dawnthunder, i asked why there were so many slabs built and one of the other participants said something to the lines of 'oops'
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

AshTheTiefling

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Artist, Adequate Modder, Necromancer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10718 on: May 02, 2020, 04:35:02 am »

I have a few cats in my fortress, who not only frequently explore the haunted forest full of zombie reindeer (It's okay, the cats just freak out and run away from them, they're faster than the deer) but multiple times I've caught a confused kitty ramming her head against the door to my DAS rubbish disposal, trying to get in. If I unlock the door she runs around in there, gets bored, and heads out. I then promptly lock the door.

Once I forgot zombies could open unlocked doors and freaked out when a dwarf corpse got out of the crusher room. My miner-militia promptly dispatched it, and I made sure there were no cats wandering around in there before crushing the corpse.

Then the dwarf who died came back as a ghost...
You know what was happening? The terrifying master, nearly maxed all combat skills, was hitting me with some copper earring. Over and over. It took it few days, but he managed to beat me with copper earring.
Welcome to... Megabeast Park! *Raaawr!*

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10719 on: May 02, 2020, 05:01:23 pm »

I expelled some dwarf during a tantrum, which seems to have been a bad idea.  Instead of leaving the map, he climbed up in a tree and got stuck there, attacking anyone who got near him, causing constant job cancellations and apparently starting a mini-loyalty cascade which somehow only affected one or two dwarves. 

He finally pulled this stunt on the wrong dwarf and got a bismuth bronze pick to the head.

The face palm is apparently wait until the tantrum is over before expelling the dwarf.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10720 on: May 07, 2020, 07:43:16 pm »

Let it be known that while one unarmed and naked Goblin dropped into a Room full of training Dwarfs is anticlimatic, five such Goblins can prove deadly.

We lost one Dwarf enroute to Our Hospital, and suspect four to six other Dwarfs were wounded.

KassaK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10721 on: May 09, 2020, 10:31:15 am »

I raided a necromancer tower and get the wonderfull book "The Secret of Life and Death".

As I had many books in my fortress , I decided to build a libray, full of bismuth bronze and gem encrusted furnitures.

I was happy to see my dwarfs go to the libray and read books, So I was just watching them.

After few days, a dwarf died in my tavern, probably from alcoohol poisoning like many other, and turn to UNDEAD.

I checked why, and I saw that I have like 10 necromancers dwarfs in my fortress.

After that, that escaladed quickly, it was a FREE FOR ALL in my entire fortress : Civils VS Militaries VS Necromancers VS Undeas VS Pets VS Guests

My computer also fought, from 100FPS to 2FPS.

More than 110 dwarfs died, and only 5 survived. And they are in the hospital.

End of my fortress.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10722 on: May 13, 2020, 08:39:20 pm »

I raided a necromancer tower and get the wonderfull book "The Secret of Life and Death".

As I had many books in my fortress , I decided to build a libray, full of bismuth bronze and gem encrusted furnitures.

I was happy to see my dwarfs go to the libray and read books, So I was just watching them.

After few days, a dwarf died in my tavern, probably from alcoohol poisoning like many other, and turn to UNDEAD.

I checked why, and I saw that I have like 10 necromancers dwarfs in my fortress.

After that, that escaladed quickly, it was a FREE FOR ALL in my entire fortress : Civils VS Militaries VS Necromancers VS Undeas VS Pets VS Guests

My computer also fought, from 100FPS to 2FPS.

More than 110 dwarfs died, and only 5 survived. And they are in the hospital.

End of my fortress.
You might still be able to get migrants, at least if the FPS is back up.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10723 on: May 17, 2020, 09:46:30 pm »

All I can think of is how many sci-fi/fantasy tropes have 'forbidden knowledge' and how this is a great example.

I feel like its a great end to a story you didnt know you were telling.

To Stay Relevant:

I have added several monsters to my games, from mammoths to T-rex to audrey ii to Pennywise in demon form.  The latter is a night creature: a stingerless giant scorpion with a necrotic bite - although its very usually overkill as by the time its done wrestling you into submission it has already won.

Anyway, they function as incredibly glass cannony terrors.  A group of unarmed peasants can usually kill it with heavy injuries, as it is only a scorpion, and is so massive youd have to be blind to not hit it.  Chitin really inst that strong.  It even can overextert itself, and will do so.

So, it shows up to my 6 month old fortress.  This one is actually a child, so it was only the size of a great white shark.  It rushes my fisherman, who does the smart thing and flees across the river.  it doesnt go into the water.

Running back up to my fort entrance, it chases down a coal worker does one of it favorite things - shattering hips, cutting off hands, and popping kneecaps.  in this case it did all three, put down the dwarf to kill a puppy, and then came back to cut off its head.  Before complimenting itself on its new leather cap.

:|

So a 'seebee' comes up to it, a dwarf trained in mechanics and crossbow.  She takes the hammer from her off hand and shatters 2 legs before IT crumples the upper body, and then after I mark it for dumping it leaves the body to rot for the next year.  No biggie, its just in the way between the surface and the underground.

Its quite fun hearing a hostile creature going through a train of thought about its combat.
'i have suffered a wound.  it is annoying'
'i have improved my skills'
'i have improved my armor'
'i am exerted'
blah blah blah.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 09:48:58 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #10724 on: May 20, 2020, 09:55:02 pm »

I wanted to geld a horse:

the Gelder Ingish Åmuzol is fighting!
The stray horse kicks the gelder in the head with his left rear hoof,
bruising the muscle, bruising the skull through the (pig tail hood)!

The gelder has been knocked unconscious!
The force pulls the neck, tearing apart the fat and bruising the muscle
and tearing apart the upper spine's nervous tissue!
A tendon in the upper spine has been torn!

The gelder falls over.
The gelder regains consciousness.
The gelder is no longer stunned.
Ingish Åmuzol, Gelder has been found dead.

:-\ The stray horse now has a name: Igërlitast (Rivertorch)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 10:05:40 pm by Nagidal »
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)
Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 729