Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095992 times)

Thon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #10740 on: May 31, 2020, 02:58:07 pm »

Why do you need to wall off cleaned shafts?

Fps mainly, I used to play dwarf fortress on and off for 2 years now and every single time my fort would get bogged down to 3 fps within 5 years. Did some research and seems like main offender is pathfinding, specifically cleaned out z levels with added 31x31 stockpiles in them ( 961 possible hauling jobs per tick x however many stockiples I set as " Everything pile, just dump it all here " hurray! ). I know about traffic zones but it's safer to simply block access so pathfinding algorithm doesn't have to calculate it. If you want a cheatier way, you can also create rock walls with dfhack tiletypes followed by revflood on the fortress side. It also turns the area to unexplored.

Playing mainly with 2x2 embarks and generously abusing quantum stockpiles atm. 50 year old fort with 170 dwarves. Fps go down to 20 only when 3 different caravans are in with their 100 traders, other times it's a respectable 40.

Edit-Grammar

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10741 on: May 31, 2020, 03:07:34 pm »

Fps mainly, I used to play dwarf fortress on and off for 2 years now and every single time my fort would get bogged down to 3 fps within 5 years. Did some research and seems like main offender is pathfinding, specifically cleaned out z levels with added 31x31 stockpiles in them ( 961 possible hauling jobs per tick x however many stockiples I set as " Everything pile, just dump it all here " hurray! ). I know about traffic zones but it's safer to simply block access so pathfinding algorithm doesn't have to calculate it. If you want a cheatier way, you can also create rock walls with dfhack tiletypes followed by revflood on the fortress side. It also turns the area to unexplored.

Playing mainly with 2x2 embarks and generously abusing quantum stockpiles atm. 50 year old fort with 170 dwarves. Fps go down to 20 only when 3 different caravans are in with their 100 traders, other times it's a respectable 40.

Edit-Grammar
Did you know that the number of artifacts in your fort is tied to the number of revealed tiles? By unrevealing those areas you're limiting the number of artifacts that can be made in your fort.

Thon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10742 on: May 31, 2020, 03:14:35 pm »

Edit-Grammar
Did you know that the number of artifacts in your fort is tied to the number of revealed tiles? By unrevealing those areas you're limiting the number of artifacts that can be made in your fort.

Another facepalm for today.

Was curious why my super efficient fortress complete with an obsidian farm fueled from cave level 3 and magma layer to avoid carving mountain for stone was not getting any strange moods. Had just shrugged it off as rng.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10743 on: May 31, 2020, 10:06:31 pm »

I swapped the numbers for pop_cap and site_pop in worldgen on accident.  it was . . . busy.  200000 elves busy.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10744 on: June 01, 2020, 03:43:09 pm »

I was doing some obsidian farming to try to get the last few bits of adamantine and had a bungled water delivery mechanism that was still vaguely working.  I would just dumbly fill the chamber with water and then dig it out until it was relatively safe, then channel down above the squares I wanted to farm.  I'd expanded the water chamber because even immediately turning off the water after turning it on still led to a deluge.  So I'd close off the area and then flood it before proceeding.

I thought I'd closed off the area entirely before opening it up again (it was draining from a cavern lake a dozen or so z-layers up).  I hadn't.

Something like five z layers of fort (including lots of newly dug, beautiful, high value, smoothed, engraved living quarters full of new furniture) were nearly instantly flooded.  Only about five dwarves drowned but it is still annoying and some of the most valuable parts of the fort (including the adamantine) are still underwater.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10745 on: June 02, 2020, 07:46:55 am »

FreeSpace, I feel your pain.

When I started I kept thinking Charcoal was for cooking, I never looked at it as coal. Took me forever to operate a smelter. Kept digging, and digging for Bituminous Coal. Quit many times, thinking my embark was bad, it had no coal.
yes, the "needs refined coal" was keeping me thinking i'd need coke for creation of steel.
i kept trying to seperate the stockpiles for charcoal and coke and shit like that and wondered why the coke didn't get used up...
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10746 on: June 02, 2020, 03:21:50 pm »

Actually, I don't think you need to go all the way to unrevealing to get pathfinding FPS benefits. If you wall it off the search algorithm won't explore that area when the search passes by.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Shdorsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10747 on: June 04, 2020, 01:23:03 pm »

Not knowing about burrows and civilian alerts. Trying to cancel their jobs instead by removing designations and waiting for the right time to pull that lever and close them in...

Yeah, not very professional. Then again, I'm pretty new to df, with my longest fort running only for years (partly thanks to my region being far away from goblins and stuff) Though I am starting to get no new migrants and caravans anymore, although I used to... Not sure whether this was due to me being in this region and the version having changed things maybe or my initial fleecing of the caravans without trading any useful goods in since I lacked in critical resources. Hmmm...

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10748 on: June 07, 2020, 08:05:09 am »

My funny Mayor would really really like a

crundle horn chest in Throne Room.

Seems like he will be disappointed. ::)

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10749 on: June 08, 2020, 02:53:19 am »

Coming back to DF after some time, I was fooled by the new light aquifers. Easy to dig through, but they basically never stop. Deeper and deeper I dig, always smoothing and wall building for 40 levels, but still damp stone...

Then I realize, the aquifer was only three levels deep. The stone was damp due to the water trickling down from the aquifer.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10750 on: June 27, 2020, 05:49:34 pm »

Having dug a 3 wide ramp entrance into a new fort, one of the soil layers was so dark, it was hard to tell it apart from the void.  So after a year, I dug out that soil to replace it with a light colored stone.  Then, distracted by other fortress activities, I never did go back to build the stone walls.  2 migrant waves later, I was very confused as to why none of them would take jobs and just sat on the surface.  Occasionally penning a loose alpaca, they would only fish.  I thought something had gone wrong with the labors.  They moved as a squad, but only on the surface.  Then I remembered the plan to make the ramp more clear....  *Facepalm*

After years of generating worlds, I just realized you can pause world gen, and look around.  Then either let it continue or abort and tweak parameters.  That "Forming lakes and minerals" countdown is a big one....
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 10:41:16 am by Schmaven »

Acipenser

• Bay Watcher
  • "I love the smell of magma in the morning."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10751 on: July 07, 2020, 12:15:45 pm »

I once made the mistake of learning to use screw pumps for the first time. . . by using them to pump magma. I knew the pump had to have walls on both sides in order to stop the magma from flowing back at the poor dwarf operating the pump. The problem was I didn't know what end of the pump these walls were supposed to go on. I asked my brother (who is very experienced with screw pumps) and he said "you put them at the front." Tragically, when he said "front," I thought he meant the other side of the pump, the side you are actually supposed to be standing on to stay safe. So I built this pump, fatefully unaware of the calamity that was about to befall me. I sent an unfortunate dwarf to start pumping magma and I watched as my first ever pump sprung into life. Soon after it starts, I get a message saying that a dwarf has been found dead. I look up who it was and find out it's my pump operator. Thinking that this is simply a common occurrence with screw pumps, I begin enabling pump operating on all my immigrants and unskilled dwarves. Over the short history of this fort, no one ever died due to goblins or forgotten beasts, but almost 2/3 died to that screw pump. I think in the end something like 23 dwarves died by its hand.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 01:20:04 pm by Acipenser »

Folrunge

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10752 on: July 16, 2020, 03:17:42 pm »

Soo... that one dragon came to my fort and passed somehow all of my traps laid in the entrance corridor. I closed all my doors, put a row of cage traps, opened the door, and waited for the darn thing. It never came and apparently took a liking to my magma moat. So good-bye my dreams of taming a dragon, and hello to my new "fish" in "the pond"  :D

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10753 on: July 18, 2020, 08:13:54 pm »

I once made the mistake of learning to use screw pumps for the first time. . . by using them to pump magma.

Pretty much any time I use screw pumps at all turns into a face palm moment when I invariably screw it up somehow.  I think I am constitutionally incapable of making a pump stack that isn't hot garbage.  I'm always amazed whenever I manage to convey any amount of liquid from one place to another.  The only way I seem to be able to do it reliably without anyone dying or without somehow flooding my entire fortress with magma or water is with a bucket brigade.

Another thing I suck at is large channeling projects.  How the fuck do I do this without at some point enduring a collapse?  It's easy on paper but every time I do it, at some point, I dumbly create some catastrophe.  My favorite is one where I was doing one of these next to a set of stairs that went down all the way to the semi-molten rock at the very bottom.

Then I had my usual channeling disaster, and the dwarf responsible was completely unharmed although knocked out, but another dwarf was knocked down the stairwell by the dust, and fell over 100 z layers all the way to the bottom, leaving blood and various body parts on every single z-layer.  He was so obliterated that there was no actual "skeleton" anywhere, just stuff like back teeth and fingers. 

And somehow his blood kept showing up other places in the fort, poisoned a well, and was just absolutely everywhere. 

I guess my point is don't channel, it's dangerous.  At some point I always channel though.  I think I have lost more dwarves to channeling than to forgotten beasts.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10754 on: July 19, 2020, 09:01:15 am »

He was so obliterated that there was no actual "skeleton" anywhere, just stuff like back teeth and fingers. 

And somehow his blood kept showing up other places in the fort, poisoned a well, and was just absolutely everywhere.
It is never safe to assume that "nobody could have survived that".

Perhaps he was still walking around, thoroughly mangled.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 729