Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 716 717 [718] 719 720 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095499 times)

GandalfTheGreyt3791

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #10755 on: July 23, 2020, 12:20:36 pm »

me as newb Discovering the <?> tab I kept hitting / with out shift *newb gets roasted*

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #10756 on: July 23, 2020, 05:52:47 pm »

He was so obliterated that there was no actual "skeleton" anywhere, just stuff like back teeth and fingers. 

And somehow his blood kept showing up other places in the fort, poisoned a well, and was just absolutely everywhere.
It is never safe to assume that "nobody could have survived that".

Perhaps he was still walking around, thoroughly mangled.

"He survives this. Bing!"

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10757 on: July 25, 2020, 12:41:10 pm »

Why is a Stone Short Sword recipe, so obvious, when a club is not? I have lots of stone. Why isnt this granite or this rock crystal fitting in this recipe. I mustn't be playing right. Oh dah. Toady meant Obsidian Short Sword.

Long before learning "all" DF's menu options and finding the Weaponsmith features, this facepalm occured. Still get flashbacks.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 12:45:35 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10758 on: July 28, 2020, 05:33:03 am »

Had three dwarves with the maximum "Help Somebody" need, so I put all my grazer animals inside, with no grass, and activated Animal Care for these altruistic dwarves so they could feel happy while feeding them.

I was setting up a controlled silk farm and had spent about a year collecting cave spiders with a trapper, I had about 18 of them.

As it turns out, dwarves won't feed animal on pastures, you have to cage them. After DFhack announced that my animals were all starving, I immediately built a cage and tossed them in and they started being fed. I was busy fiddling with a mood dwarf at the time, so I didn't see until it was too late: the dwarves were feeding the SHEEP all my LIVE CAVE SPIDERS. I couldn't do anything as I watched my last spider becoming animal food.

By the way, right beside that cage was stockpile (no barrels) of cranberries, that were used only after my spiders were gobbled up...
I was out in the rain. So exasperating!

GandalfTheGreyt3791

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10759 on: July 28, 2020, 11:57:35 am »

me not knowing the < & > keys were how you move z levels. (I only started playing 2 months ago by the way)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10760 on: July 28, 2020, 06:23:45 pm »

me not knowing the < & > keys were how you move z levels. (I only started playing 2 months ago by the way)

You can change keybindings from the Esc menu.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10761 on: July 30, 2020, 01:18:31 pm »

Lazynewber here, I learned DF with LNP.  The z level keybind is only keybind change, I make. Like in LazyNewb, I assign the greater than and less than symbols to z level changes. Only catch is during combat, the step pause button is the period, the period on keypad. Not the period on qwert keys, which shares the > symbol.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10762 on: July 30, 2020, 03:18:52 pm »

That had to have been really rough if you got an announcement that zoomed to the event on another z level.

My recent facepalm moment: Wondering why none of the dwarves with no job were building some walls, I thought maybe they just have to idle for a time before picking up the job if they don't have a preference for it or something.  A week or so later, I let 100% of the dwarves go idle with only masonry and construction enabled, still wondering why the wall wasn't being constructed.  Looking to see if maybe there's another labor they need to have enabled, I see that while I had checked construction in Dwarf Therapist, I did not commit the changes... *face palm*
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 04:41:38 pm by Schmaven »

GandalfTheGreyt3791

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10763 on: August 04, 2020, 11:25:20 am »

yeah but I ended using the units menu to get back to the wagon till I learned that and 2 wks later would the f1 key

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10764 on: August 04, 2020, 09:04:31 pm »

Oh man, it must feel so liberating after all that to have simple keys to move up and down z-levels now

GandalfTheGreyt3791

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10765 on: August 05, 2020, 07:59:48 am »

yeah. I ended up asking my dad to look it up because I don't have wifi in my room

Cpt Kennedy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10766 on: August 08, 2020, 05:47:47 pm »

I've been systematically de-populating a nearby necromancer tower. I have a squad of legendary speardwarves with full masterwork armor that I had been flinging at it. At first, I was just trying to provoke an attack, but then they started winning, killed all the necromances so there was just zombies with no reinforcements. I kept sending them out to level up tactician. At some point, my King was really upset about living an unexciting life. I figured the legendary squad could use some fodder, so I trained 4 squads of macedwarves to competant and as soon as I had gear for the first squad I sent out my spears and king/mace squad. It's been a month, I just got the message "[name]. prisoner, has ended a mandate."

I know we joke about killing nobility, but this guy liked robes, cloaks, and spears, things I was producing anyways, he was perfect... what have I done!

Malroc The Valiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10767 on: August 09, 2020, 09:01:39 pm »

Just realized you have to construct some instruments. I have been playing for almost 2 years.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10768 on: August 17, 2020, 01:07:21 am »

We were conducting a planned Cave-In, and the Miner turned up to channel away the Last Floor Tile.

He finishes, cutting off the entire Section from the rest of the Fortress, and We realize We missed half the Tiles on one Side!.

Worse still, We had to chase a Child out while the Temporary Floor Tile was being removed.

Matrim_Cauthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10769 on: August 23, 2020, 05:49:03 pm »

Started a new fort for the first time in a while, thought I'd be smart and bring along ores to smelt bronze with and leave the axes and picks behind. No imported tools in this fortress!

Got everything set and then struck the earth!

Or at least I would have, had I brought any magma safe materials along, meaning I couldn't build the wood burner, much less the smelter or forge. With no pick or axe to get any new materials... I was pretty screwed.

So I took the little bit of wood I came with, built a small hovel for the dwarves to shelter in until the caravan comes and waited it out.

Did the fortress crumble from lack of food or drink?

No, I realized that the cassiterite would work to build the needed buildings with IF I marked it an non economic, got as far as smelting a pick... and then died to a giant tick before anything could be dug out.

Double facepalm.
Pages: 1 ... 716 717 [718] 719 720 ... 729