Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095714 times)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #10785 on: September 17, 2020, 10:37:11 pm »

there's no such thing as too much !!fun!!
and i gotta hand it to the complete and utter moron who decided on this pumpstack like who in their right mind would pump magma up 120... z levels... to... uh.........  :o
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10786 on: October 01, 2020, 09:37:25 am »

Talking about pumpstacks:

I just finished a pumpstack for my mist generators powered by a couple of dwarven water reactors. They didn't start for some reason even after ordering dwarves to pump all of them manually. Confused, I was wondering what is wrong as they're surely built the same way as in other forts and I've had no problems with them. Spent waaaay too long figuring what's the problem until I noticed I had completely forgotten to build the waterwheels. Oops. I feel like an idiot.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10787 on: October 02, 2020, 10:29:19 pm »

We forgot to finish making the Drain before breaching the Aquifer.

Thankfully, We were able to wall off the affected Section with no Loss of Life.

alef

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10788 on: October 09, 2020, 03:20:44 pm »

Lot of loose cut gems to be brought at the depot, no bins for some reasons. Swarms of dwarves through the three hatches that separate the depot from the gems stockpile.
DF have issues pathing the dwaves to the depot this way, and messages like Path blocked or Job item lost or destroyed starts to appear.
Just the time I see one gem has been left on top of one of the three hatches cover, and as McUnlucky tries to go through ...
"The octagon cut black zircons strikes the planter in the right lower leg, fracturing the bone through the (cave spider silk robe)!"
"The planter slams into an obstacle!"

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10789 on: October 09, 2020, 06:51:11 pm »

Lot of loose cut gems to be brought at the depot, no bins for some reasons. Swarms of dwarves through the three hatches that separate the depot from the gems stockpile.
DF have issues pathing the dwaves to the depot this way, and messages like Path blocked or Job item lost or destroyed starts to appear.
Just the time I see one gem has been left on top of one of the three hatches cover, and as McUnlucky tries to go through ...
"The octagon cut black zircons strikes the planter in the right lower leg, fracturing the bone through the (cave spider silk robe)!"
"The planter slams into an obstacle!"

Did the Planter live?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10790 on: October 11, 2020, 03:24:43 am »

When you forget to flag rock crystals and they get cut into useless gems when you really, really wanted to make crystal glass.

alef

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10791 on: October 11, 2020, 03:03:20 pm »

Did the Planter live?

Yes. On top of that, just setup a dump zone above and aside a ramp. The ramp is the only access to the zone. So dwarf_1 went up and did throw its garbage down the ramp he went from, while dwarf_2 who was just following him gets heavly hurt by the fallen debris.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10792 on: October 11, 2020, 09:34:29 pm »

I had a classic dwarven facepalm a few days ago.

I occasionally lost a fisherdwarf in the first cavern layer to drowning = apparently due to cave crocs attacking form the water, and, dwarves being dwarves, they dove right in to take hte battle to the crocs. Or fish. not really sure who the enemy was.

Well, I decided to attempt to recover their bodies from the underlake by using pumpstacks and building walls while the water was low enough. So I started building floors over the water, designating pillars ot be mined - the usual. Cue everydwarf suddenly discovering that a pair of -rope reed fiber sock-s had become available on the one dwarf that died on shore.

I knew there was a forgotten beast down there too, and that it was a webspitter.

But I just sat there and watched as ~130 of my ~140 dwarves marched single file to their deaths. Only the three archers did any damage to the thing, hurting it pretty bad before running out of ammo and ... charging it with their empty crossbows.

Sure I could have cut my losses, but by the time I realized what I had done, I was frustrated and irritated. Ah well.

Urist McSober

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10793 on: October 15, 2020, 04:29:20 pm »

This one dwarf, for some reason, refused to drink. He just didn't do it. Plenty of easily accessible booze that everyone else was fine drinking, but no. Not good enough for him, apparently. Eventually he just stopped working and would walk around being annoying. The entire fortress was slaughtered soon after this started happening, so I still don't know what that was about.
Mine collapse? What mine collapse?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10794 on: October 15, 2020, 05:45:03 pm »

This one dwarf, for some reason, refused to drink. He just didn't do it. Plenty of easily accessible booze that everyone else was fine drinking, but no. Not good enough for him, apparently. Eventually he just stopped working and would walk around being annoying. The entire fortress was slaughtered soon after this started happening, so I still don't know what that was about.
there are certain conditions that dwarves may acquire that lose them their appetites and taste for alcohol. You may encounter this again. It's not a bug.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10795 on: October 18, 2020, 07:07:57 am »

I didn't know what a theropod was.  It sounds like some sort of snail or insect of some kind.  So the hammer dwarves were sent after the forgotten beast Obi Cuthabeomethu Oci Sanene "Obi Depthhollow the Moistness of Echoing" a towering scaly theropod.  It has two long, spiral horns and it has a gaunt appearance.  Its eyes glow fuchsia.  Its peach scales are large and set far apart.  Beware its webs!

Turns out a theropod is basically a T-Rex dinosaur.  And this one is towering with webs. 

The squad was killed almost instantaneously.  Collapsing heads into lumps of gore with every punch and strike from the horns.  Looks like that doctor's mood will not succeed, as the silk in the caverns is well guarded.  Next time, some better research will be done about what kind of beast it is before sending in the troops...

Murr2

• Bay Watcher
  • and locally produced cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10796 on: October 22, 2020, 07:25:01 pm »

I sent every one of my milita dwarves to a forest retreat, including 3 hammer lords.

They all eventually got captured.
"ya dun stole ma battly axe!"

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10797 on: October 24, 2020, 04:42:48 am »

I didn't know what a theropod was.  It sounds like some sort of snail or insect of some kind.  So the hammer dwarves were sent after the forgotten beast Obi Cuthabeomethu Oci Sanene "Obi Depthhollow the Moistness of Echoing" a towering scaly theropod.  It has two long, spiral horns and it has a gaunt appearance.  Its eyes glow fuchsia.  Its peach scales are large and set far apart.  Beware its webs!

Turns out a theropod is basically a T-Rex dinosaur.  And this one is towering with webs. 

The squad was killed almost instantaneously.  Collapsing heads into lumps of gore with every punch and strike from the horns.  Looks like that doctor's mood will not succeed, as the silk in the caverns is well guarded.  Next time, some better research will be done about what kind of beast it is before sending in the troops...
anything that webs is extremely dangerous. Could be a sack of jelly with no limbs, if it webs, and can do damage at all to a dwarf, it can kill with ease. Dwarf gets webbed, head is nice, juicy target, dwarf gets brained.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10798 on: October 29, 2020, 11:15:03 am »

So I am in the first year of a new embark with one of ZM5's mods.

The embark is interesting. I'm at the beach, and there is a 70+ z-level high cliff above me. The only metal on the map that I'm currently aware of are a few very small clusters of ore that are on the top of those cliffs. Because the clusters are so small I decide not to build a proper stairwell, but send my miners the long way around, which is possible but it takes them days. The mining goes fine, but for some reason the haulers fail to bring the ores home.

After waiting for half a year, building extra wheelbarrows, and messing with job priorities, dumping, reclaiming etc I still have no luck. So I decide to follow the haulers around their route to see what is going wrong. Turns out they grab a wheelbarrow, then walk around the beach to the point where the cliffs can be scaled, all seems fine. But before they get there the ocean waves wash over them, they drop their wheelbarrows and return home. Someone brings the wheelbarrow back and it all repeats ad-infinitum.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10799 on: October 29, 2020, 04:03:52 pm »

After 38 in game years, I finally learned that it's not enough to just assign citizens to a burrow, but you also have to go into the military menus and activate a civilian alert using that burrow.  Soo many legendary stonecrafters, doctors, and metalcrafters lost to the surface...

anything that webs is extremely dangerous. Could be a sack of jelly with no limbs, if it webs, and can do damage at all to a dwarf, it can kill with ease. Dwarf gets webbed, head is nice, juicy target, dwarf gets brained.

Now imagine that same scenario with a giant T-Rex bearing down on the helpless dwarves. 
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 729