Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2114385 times)

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #525 on: October 23, 2009, 03:13:24 pm »

I created a 7 tile wide 70+ z-level cataract on a single core 2.2Ghz machine.  While running a web browser. 

Lag fort has lag. 

Apparently processing water falling down a slope takes a lot more power than water falling down a straight vertical drop to a chasm. 

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 23, 2009, 03:49:20 pm »

Made me a fortress around a chasm, complete with bridges on multiple levels spanning the chasm, and everything being walled except for the one big entrance bridge.  Set up pressure plates on either side that triggered off of enemies and did two things: One, they released cages of dogs on the outward side of the bridge.  Two, they started to raise the drawbridge.

Got a goblin siege.  While having my drawbridge raised due to lever, I moved my whole military up to the interior of my courtyard, waiting for the enemies to come to them.  One group of goblins were armed with crossbows.  Of course, they just walk over to the chasm and start pelting the dwarfs walking around on bridges down below.  I immediately realize that I have to send my military out, so I pull the lever again.  In that time, one of the goblins steps on the pressure plate.  All the goblins get distracted by the dogs from the cages.  The bridge lowers from the lever pull.  The military charges.  The pressure plate reaches the bridge, catapulting my entire military into the air.  One lands on the interior side of the bridge, on the interior pressure plate.  The rest of them all fall into the chasm, either splattering against other bridges or falling into nothingness.  Since landing dwarfs fall down, the pressure plate was triggered again, quickly lowering the bridge, now that the goblins have killed the dogs.

The goblins charge into the fortress.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: October 23, 2009, 07:49:56 pm »

Ouch Lumen. Just... ouch.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 23, 2009, 07:56:48 pm »

Awesome Lumen. Just... awesome.

Fixed up your spelling for you there.
Man IE Spell is the stuff.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 23, 2009, 10:16:22 pm »

Usually, I have dorf fort on in the background of whatever I'm doing: I play a few minutes, and then pause and send it to the back.  I might only go about a year per day doing this, but the fort is really great for curing boredom between long downloads, code compiling, etc.

When I actually sit down and play seriously, though, I tend to go hours at a time.  And I almost never save.

I have lost upwards of 3 years of fort time on some occasions due to this.

And I only found the autosaving features in init.txt yesterday.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 23, 2009, 10:46:13 pm »

Wait, there are autosaves? And it save scums for you? SIGN ME UP!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 24, 2009, 03:11:13 am »

Put Wacom on floor and go to lunch; leave pen on Wacom.

Come back from lunch, spend 73 minutes trying to fix mouse before realising that pen is on Wacom and Wacom is still plugged in.

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 24, 2009, 07:25:31 pm »

I was playing my map Waterworld.  It was going to be my first mega project.  So I got started making a solid defensible fort of happiness and cap my population.

After hours of painstakenly streamlining everying, building an unavoidable museum, a giant residential district complete with nursery, and acres of bauxite, marble and glass blocks. 

To reward the dwarves for a job well started I built a wonderful platinum statue garden....

Then I got retarded.

I started miniing out an iron deposit I had hit earlier... the plan was to start giving the militia good gear to meet the challenge of the goblin invasions to come.  It was perfect, the mining area was right next to the central staircase, so I could even turn the hollow left from the magnetite vein into my planned "Museum of Dwarven Industry"....

Except I forgot that one tile of the exposed magnetite was an aquifer.  My mass select told the dwarves to mine it.

Well, the water came spilling out pretty fast... so what did I do?  I panniced.  I tried to build a friggin wall to contain the wave... it failed as the dwarves would invariable build the wall too slow.  But it didn;'t stop me from trying a second time!

At this moment I realized that the mine area was seperated from the fortress by a single double wide hall... and I had flood gates on hand.  So TADA!!  I built the flood gate and all was well. 

Except for a dumb lye maker who wound up on the other side... big deal!

Well, except the lye maker was married to one of my best soldiers..

*sigh*

So I take off one of the flood gates, the lye maker escapes, and I set to rebuild the flood gate...

Except now everyone was at a party down below at the platinum statue garden...

IThe door never got rebuilt, and the first place that was hit by the flood?  Why the central staircase, of course!  Trapping most of my dwarves below ground.

I'll figure out how to save most of them... but seriously, the next dwarf on the wrong side of the new floodgate is a gonner.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 24, 2009, 07:33:32 pm »

Almost had a really big one today when my epic military dwarf nearly drowned. She dodged a goblin off into the water, and then proceeded to begin drowning. Luckily, she lived long enough for my miners to dig ramps up and out, and so she lived to fight another day. I would have been really upset if my legendary champion who has well over 300 kills drowned while chasing a goblin.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 24, 2009, 08:28:15 pm »

I was remodeling part of the megastructure I was working on and carelessly designated a bunch of walls to be removed; forgot to do the corners first, so the dwarves deconstructed them in a less-than-ideal order.

Fortunately, the collapse didn't take any important scaffolding or a bit of the structure I was going to keep with it.

Unfortunately, this structure is hanging 90 z-levels above the ground.

Twenty seconds after the collapse, 14 dwarves hit the ground simultaneously.

EDIT: make that 15. Not sure what took that last one so long.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 08:31:40 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 24, 2009, 09:00:48 pm »

EDIT: make that 15. Not sure what took that last one so long.
Urist McLemming cancels Fall: Dangerous Terrain
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 24, 2009, 09:08:16 pm »

Oh, hey, here's a picture of the landing site.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 24, 2009, 09:54:02 pm »

Wow, the splatters sure went a long way.

Your map looks interesting. Could you post it in VF? The mountain looks square, which is... odd.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 24, 2009, 10:03:24 pm »

Your map looks interesting. Could you post it in VF?

I ain't done with it yet.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 25, 2009, 03:41:59 am »

Well I'm currently trying to block the bottom of my underground river - where it runs into a cylindrical chasm - with hatches and a bridge, so I can plug/unplug at will. Of course, the water is falling too fast for the buildings to be completed. So I decide to use pumps to sequester water temporarily and give the buildings time to be completed. I build a setup like this:
Code: [Select]
╔═══╗
║777║
╙XXX║
─xxx╜
The ─ is the power-source axle, the 7 is the water dead-end, and the X is the impassable tile of the screw pump. Let me rephrase that. The X is supposed to be the impassable tile of the screw pump. I forgot to orient two of the pumps, and they defaulted to 'pump from north'. There wasn't anything there to pump, so that wasn't important. It just meant that my impassable tile suddenly wasn't. So I had a screw pump essentially funnelling water directly onto the 1-tile wide bridge across the underground river - and, as it happens, right before the chasm.

I lost a few haulers to that. Oh well, I learned my lesson, right?

So I deconstruct the pumps and rebuild them facing the right way. Only this time I forget to ensure that the leftmost pump is constructed last, so it turns on as my architect/mayor/trader is building the middle one. My mayor is swept into the river and survives the thronging lizardmen, drowning seconds before my miners made it to carve a ramp.

At least there's something very dwarfy about blood-red water falling 15 z-levels into a chasm.

EDIT: Oh yeah, main moral to the story: wait until you finish building the pumps before connecting them up to power.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 03:43:57 am by Innominate »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 729