Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2131118 times)

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #855 on: January 09, 2010, 12:54:50 pm »

I had two garbage dump areas designated. One of them was over a magma pipe. The other was for quantum storage.

They used the wrong one.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: January 09, 2010, 04:17:11 pm »

I had two garbage dump areas designated. One of them was over a magma pipe. The other was for quantum storage.

They used the wrong one.
I usually get around that by using my obsidian farm for disposal, with TEMP off; organic debris flashes to steam, while stones stick around for use in the forges next door.

On that note, my usual method of clearing my obsidian farm is to cave it in; channel around the edges, dig out underneath the floor, and use lever-actuated supports to drop it and deconstruct it simultaneously. I had forgotten that there was a tunnel underneath the obsidian farm, and as we all know, material which caves in continues through floors until it hits actual rock. As a result, the next time I opened the floodgate and released the magma, there was a large hole in the floor...

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: January 09, 2010, 05:07:42 pm »

Gosh, I wish you could tell just by looking which of a screw pump is the business end.

That's all I have to say about that.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 09, 2010, 05:33:27 pm »

Sooo, I just was messing with my first underground lake, I set up fortifications, make sure everything is right, so my fort doesn't flood, make all the safegaurds, tunnels, room to get water from...

AND it turns out I did it one level too high.  :-[
No water in those tunnels. Although it may be easy to fix if I can figure out how to fix the safegaurds again for both levels..
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 09, 2010, 05:34:34 pm »

Think about using pumps. If your tunnels are just one level too high, this might be reasonably easy to fix.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: January 09, 2010, 05:44:35 pm »

Gah! How would I get power underground? I haven't discovered the UG River yet...
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: January 09, 2010, 05:49:11 pm »

Gah! How would I get power underground? I haven't discovered the UG River yet...

If you're just filling a lake and its not going to be draining out often, just dwarf power it.  I often dwarf power my obsidian farms magma pumps just because the time it takes to pump in 1200 squares of magma by hand is less than the trouble to get power on the bottom level of my map.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: January 09, 2010, 05:52:41 pm »

I see, thanks!
I forgot you could dwarf power things  ::)

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: January 09, 2010, 06:07:30 pm »

Got a decent military set up, decided to make an attempt to breach my funhouse.  Just about the time the miners stop praising each other and start wondering what's up with all the gibbering elves underground, I get a notification regarding some kind of force, having to do with both evil and darkness.  Now I'm fighting a two-front war, so I figure it's time to pull the lever to shut the front door, allowing me to focus my chopping on one adversary at a time.  Turns out the lever's at the top of the staircase, and the clowns are at the bottom, and it's a race against time for, of all people, my dungeon master, who goes swishing up the stairs in his many cloaks.  Just as he gets to the switch room, a hilarious sequence of events result in a dead DM, a smashed lever and more Fun than I'm prepared for.  I got to enjoy it all at about 3 FPS, too.  I recruit everyone, pass out what armor I have around, and beat back the gobbos, but my champions have all met their depraved ends at the appendages of the deeper enemy, and my militia is handily mopped up, at 3 FPS.

I've got one wounded recruit left, and he's laying in bed wondering whether the slithering, chittering horrors coming down the hall are bringing him a bucket of water.  About ten tiles from total fortress loss, I get a message:  Turns out our deathtrap in the mountains has been made a barony!  Nobles lift their petticoats and step over the mangled corpses and mummies (who smashes coffins, really?), headed for the dining hall with a half-dozen soapmakers and milkers in their wake.  I don't even bother recruiting them.  I go get a sandwich, come back, and reclaim.
I brake for stumble bumblings

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: January 09, 2010, 06:33:02 pm »

Well yeah, the RNG is especially malicious when it comes to immigrants with purple petticoats. Whenever the mature fort crumbles to it's end, I can be sure that some baron or duke with their consort and court is on the way to watch the spectacle.

My most recent facepalm moment was an embark on a terrifying glacier. Perfectly flat ice to the horizon and beyond...
Guess what item I forgot? a pick :-\ No problem, I thought, there's enough food for almost a year and a few logs for a (tiny) shelter... skeletal sasquatches (skasquatch, anyone?) came before the first wall was finished; everyone had great Fun :(

I still like the story, though: Seven dwarves leave their mountainhome to build a fort in one of the most dangerous regions. When they finally arrive, Urist McLeaderguy does his speach "blablabla... Strike the earth!", looks at the miners and sees their empty hands... uh-oh ;D
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: January 09, 2010, 09:46:06 pm »

If only. This is a Dwarfbone Pick. It menaces with spikes of Mutiny.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: January 10, 2010, 06:46:18 am »

Decided to take an extra challange to my Human Fortress this evening. Decided to start on a Terrifying Tundra with an attached to the east Swamp with a Pipe somewhere in the middle (undergound most like), Haunted Tundra...

Took seeds and Built farms to the left...

'NO Seeds available for this Location...'

What if I built them over in the swamp area to the right...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 06:49:28 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: January 10, 2010, 07:48:13 am »

It would be called 'the Bounty'. Then you'd have (spikes of) Mutiny on the Bounty.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: January 10, 2010, 08:10:10 am »

I don't like this cheating kind of modding and moods are only available with at least 20 dorfs. No chance for a pick.
It would have been the most epic embark ever, though: dwarves making everything they need to build a new mountainhome out of their friend's body parts :o
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: January 10, 2010, 09:49:29 am »

I don't like this cheating kind of modding
...???
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 729