Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: School kills creativity?  (Read 10052 times)

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
School kills creativity?
« on: April 21, 2009, 08:59:23 pm »

While I was trying to finish a group project that's due in thursday and I'm way behind (I also work and have to go to college tomorrow, no time!!) I took my time to distract myself with a link my father had sent me...

This is an old video but the content is encouraging.  It's really amazing. 
ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.

I'd like to share it with those who haven't seen it and hear their comments.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: School kills creativity?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 09:02:22 pm »

I think the real problem is homework; a lot of teachers that don't give it say that their kids do just as well, and it robs children of valuable time that could be used to, you know, exercise.  What's worse is American elementary schools getting rid of recess.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 09:09:47 pm »

You didn't watch the video did you?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 09:13:11 pm »

American elementary schools getting rid of recess.

If they get rid of recess, I'm going to have to punt some senators.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 10:47:45 pm »

I agree with the topic's title completely.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 01:53:08 am »

I agree completely. All work in school is just following set tasks - no initiative or creativity needed for that. Even if you take something supposedly 'creative' like art, you're given a set subject to work in, always limited...

But hey, you don't need creativity to do whatever tptb wants you to do... nah, they keep the creativity for themselves. Wouldn't want the proles getting a creative inspiration and to realize what they're doing...  ::)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 03:45:24 am »

Wait, you guys get subjects to draw in art class? Over here they always let us draw whatever we wanted.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 04:07:33 am »

I liked the video, but it doesn't seem to be so much about the school's problem than it is problems with society and the way things are structured.

He's a good speaker, but I can't help but feel that his logic is either broken or incredibly idealistic.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 04:50:15 am »

I liked the video, but it doesn't seem to be so much about the school's problem than it is problems with society and the way things are structured.

He's a good speaker, but I can't help but feel that his logic is either broken or incredibly idealistic.

I agree. I have found some of my teachers trying to kill my creativity but not school at general. Mostly they want me to come with new ideas.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 07:10:48 am »

Welcome to 45 years ago.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 07:37:26 am »

It depends on the school really. I used to go to a school that focused on mathematics and science to the point where you do not chose clases, and art actually falls out of the curriculum by 9th grade. Even then, you never got to do anything other than classical drawing, painting and sculpting so it was pretty dry, and was taught by an annoying teacher.

When I moved to Virginia, I actually suffered in some classes because I couldn't even make a simple collage properly, and it suprised me that acting was a class, so you guys have more than you think (if you live in America).

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 11:53:17 am »

How fitting. I study movie filming and editing.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Anfold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 12:55:24 pm »

I think the real problem is homework; a lot of teachers that don't give it say that their kids do just as well, and it robs children of valuable time that could be used to, you know, exercise.  What's worse is American elementary schools getting rid of recess.

It's not necessarily homework itself that's the problem.  It's the fact that the homework is always just busy work, bland memorization and teachers generally represent the lowest common denominator in the US.  That, coupled with ridiculous class sizes and the fact that we force the smartest kids into classes with dumber kids to bring up test scores and killing debate is SOP because teachers really don't want to deal with the kids who are smarter than they are,

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 02:09:47 pm »

I can testify. Whenever I confront teachers about why the education system is separated and not integrated like it should be, (By that I mean you study all the subjects together or at least some together, instead of "One hour math, one hour history, one hour science and one hour random misc crap." Meaning I'd like the class to teach all of them and how to cross-use them. The best example I can draw on is general doctors. Those docs who are jacks of all trades but are regarded as the least professional because they are not experts in something. They are the most professional in my opinion.) I get the answer that it's because the ministry of education said so. That's it.

My theory states that the ministry of education is composed of conservative bastards who want to keep the rich, rich.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 03:32:35 pm »

One potential problem with your all-in-one course idea:  Students who excel in a particular field will not have the opportunity to learn at the proper level.  By that I mean someone who might have what it takes to learn "grade 10 math" alongside "grade 5 X" will instead have to sit through "grade 5 math".  Sure, they can learn the more advanced material on their own time, but if they have to do it all themselves then why the hell should they waste their time in a public school?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9