Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: School kills creativity?  (Read 10050 times)

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: School kills creativity?
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2009, 11:36:57 pm »

I would be passing all my classes with A's if the dammned teachers didn't throw shitloads of homework at me every day.

In college I might be more understanding and would actually do it, because hell, it's college. But even for AP classes like Literature and Computer Science it just pisses me off.

I hate spending < 4 hours on homework, its ruining school for me.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2009, 08:12:25 am »

Homework is part of the creativity test.

You see, all the linear thinking people just do the homework and maybe complain about how much time they spend working on the homework while the creative ones spend all their free time doing whatever the heck they want, then go to school and copy all the homework while making it seem like they did it on their own.

I mean, if "[you] would be passing all my classes with A's if the dammned teachers didn't throw shitloads of homework at [you] every day" then obviously, you don't need to do the homework yourself, do you?

You see, complaining about the schooling system is something only sheep do. The truly creative always find ways to solve their problems without whining about it on forums online.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2009, 08:17:39 am »

That's horrible advice Umi.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2009, 08:40:21 am »

Because? I'm telling you guys to think outside the box instead of fantasizing of thinking outside the box or relying on other people to think outside the box for you?

There's no point discussing creativity if no one acts on it, and the fact of the matter is this thread is nothing more than a pissing competition of whose school sucks the worst. However, the end result is that if you don't do anything to improve your own school condition and right the parts to the compulsory education system to suit your own needs, then the only one who loses is you.

This sounds trivial, but compared to Asian school systems, you guys are insanely pampered. 3 month holidays? Holy shit. No uniforms? What the hell? School ends before 7pm? What the heck? No school on the weekends? Are you kidding? Teachers can't beat you? Wow! Only 6 courses a term, and you can choose your own courses?! My god!

Honestly, I can't sympathize with people complaining about how "terrible" the American schooling system is when I know how bad it can really be. Ever been to a country where no matter how hard you work, the government is guaranteed to ensure you never get a place in the local universities and colleges because it wants to fill it with the majority race? How about a country where the subjects you learn explicitly teach you that your race sucks and their god is supreme? How about a country where the textbooks are all 100% lies and propaganda, where they make WWII not exist at all and the holocaust never happened and the Jews are responsible for everything? I'm not joking, that's how the country I came from did things. And I know it's worse in China, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc.

If people can still thrive in environments like that and have a good time, then you guys are pathetic for complaining.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2009, 08:41:37 am »

I don't know, I think homework is a "lazy filter" that shows kids who don't feel like doing work.  Or it could be because they don't have enough time to do it, which I don't really believe unless there is a special occasion.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2009, 08:46:58 am »

Sorry Umi, I forgot you lived in Malaysia, and I didn't factor in that the Malaysian school system may be much different from my own.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2009, 08:52:46 am »

There was a special about how horrible the conditions are in China sweat shops.  500 people in this tiny dinky building with sweltering hot temperatures and almost no food.  They get $3 a day and they have to lie when an inspection comes or else they get beat.  All thanks to Wal-Mart.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2009, 09:22:48 am »

killing debate is SOP because teachers really don't want to deal with the kids who are smarter than they are,
must kill teacher

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2009, 09:52:21 am »

I hate it when people copy homework.  One, it doesn't always work, two, it relies on whether or not someone else did it, and three, it's ripping off the hard work of someone else.

I hate how teachers will babble on about how great the 10-minute rule for homework is (10 minutes x grade number = minutes of homework total) and then assign a shit load of homework that actually takes twice that time, and then there's one or two other teachers doing the same thing, so that you actually get 2-4x what the 10-minute rule dictates you should have.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2009, 10:31:36 am »

I haven't watched the video in the first post, but just the thread title gives me the urge to say:

I always thought school's main purpose was to prepare people for mindnumbingly boring jobs, they would never be able to do without killing themselves in 2 weeks, if their minds hadnt been slowly killed off beforehand. Schools turn people into cogwheels for the big machine, nothing else.

You have to get VERY VERY lucky to end up in a school that does more than just attempt to crush your soul....

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2009, 10:37:21 am »

Because? I'm telling you guys to think outside the box instead of fantasizing of thinking outside the box or relying on other people to think outside the box for you?

There's no point discussing creativity if no one acts on it, and the fact of the matter is this thread is nothing more than a pissing competition of whose school sucks the worst. However, the end result is that if you don't do anything to improve your own school condition and right the parts to the compulsory education system to suit your own needs, then the only one who loses is you.

This sounds trivial, but compared to Asian school systems, you guys are insanely pampered. 3 month holidays? Holy shit. No uniforms? What the hell? School ends before 7pm? What the heck? No school on the weekends? Are you kidding? Teachers can't beat you? Wow! Only 6 courses a term, and you can choose your own courses?! My god!

Honestly, I can't sympathize with people complaining about how "terrible" the American schooling system is when I know how bad it can really be. Ever been to a country where no matter how hard you work, the government is guaranteed to ensure you never get a place in the local universities and colleges because it wants to fill it with the majority race? How about a country where the subjects you learn explicitly teach you that your race sucks and their god is supreme? How about a country where the textbooks are all 100% lies and propaganda, where they make WWII not exist at all and the holocaust never happened and the Jews are responsible for everything? I'm not joking, that's how the country I came from did things. And I know it's worse in China, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc.

If people can still thrive in environments like that and have a good time, then you guys are pathetic for complaining.

"Just because one thing is horrible doesn't make something else good." -Yanlin.

Our schools suck. Your schools... Well... They are HORRIBLE.

I haven't watched the video in the first post, but just the thread title gives me the urge to say:

I always thought school's main purpose was to prepare people for mindnumbingly boring jobs, they would never be able to do without killing themselves in 2 weeks, if their minds hadnt been slowly killed off beforehand. Schools turn people into cogwheels for the big machine, nothing else.

You have to get VERY VERY lucky to end up in a school that does more than just attempt to crush your soul....

The modern school system was invented during the industrial revolution. EXACTLY when you needed children to grow up to do a boring job in some huge factory. Now, it is time for a change.

Vote Yanlin for class president... Or something.

Sorry, I needed a cheap joke.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2009, 03:17:45 pm »

I don't mind the homework.

It is the dull repetitiveness.  The worthless questions.  The lack of sunlight.  The lack of interest.

Oh, and although the Japs did bomb us first, we still shouldn't have utterly annihilated 300,000 innocent lives.  Drop the bomb in the harbor first, and show them we aren't bluffing.

Truman was an asshole.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2009, 03:22:07 pm »

yes... starting with total destruction of 2 town wasn't very nice.

i mean... not even military target. as far as i know, they just happened to be the right size for bombs power.
and probably it was safer to bomb these... nukes aren't cheap

¿

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2009, 03:56:30 pm »

Yea... disintegrating 300,000 lives instantaneously is obviously more of an asshole move than brainwashing your entire country into fighting to the very bitter end so well that it took a nuke to convince them otherwise (and even then it was only the figure head 'emperor' himself that really wanted the surrender, most of the rest would have kept on going into obliteration).

School can never quite seem to make good use of my time. I can always think of something more efficient, but I always know I never would be doing that anyway had I the chance.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2009, 04:13:15 pm »

Well, you don't have to throw nukes onto cities, you know.  I'm fine with using the nuke to end the war.  But what we basically did was:

America:  "Hey, Japs!  If you don't stop the war, we will use our super secret megaweapon to obliterate you!"

Japan:  "Ummm... yeah.  Whatever.  You go do that."

BOOM!

Japan: "OH MY GOD!"

It would have been a better move to bomb it close to the city, or perhaps on a nearby island.  Then, if they don't surrender, start moving progressively inward...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9