Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Poetry.com is dead!  (Read 1389 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Poetry.com is dead!
« on: April 22, 2009, 03:05:10 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poetry.com

Poetry.com was hated throughout the liteary community. They are pretty much dismissed as a vanity publisher. They hold contests, where you send them a poem and they tell you if you win. Of course, everybody wins these contests, so your poem gets published in an anthology. You however have to pay money to buy the anthology, and later on, you may be fleeced into paying for a trip to Washigtion to see who gets First Place. Poetry.com made money by convicing the poetry winners to give money to Poetry.com to buy useless junk with their poem on it.

And now Poetry.com is dead, as it got bought out by a more honest vanity publisher, Lulu.com. They plan on revamping "Poetry.com", appernatly by rewarding a cash prize instead of a chance to get published in anthology (your poem gets stuck on poetry.com though), and trying to convince people to self-publish their poem collections through Lulu.com. It will be interesting to see how successful Lulu.com will be...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 03:15:18 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
Re: Poetry.com is dead!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 03:42:48 pm »

Ding dong, the witch is dead!

I submitted exactly one poem to them. The heaps of spam they sent in return made it clear that it was a mistake.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 06:05:33 pm »

I had a teacher one time who had little or no common sense and conveniently ignored the fact that Poetry.com wasn't a good place. One of our assignments was to submit a poem. Of course, they were all perfect and were placed in a book. Except for mine (which was never handed in, for obvious reasons), that is.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 07:11:24 pm by Mephisto »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 06:53:01 pm »

Never even heard of it. It sounds like something stupid people would be entangled in.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 09:07:00 pm »

It is. I submitted one just to demonstrate the scam to a friend of mine, and can attest to the heaps of spam. Also proved that they don't do any attempt to keep out plagiarism, by blatantly ripping off some song I forget.
!!&!!

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 07:14:11 am »

sounds just like picture.com

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 02:53:43 am »

Yeah, I used it to prove to my father in something related. I submitted the Pop-Eye the Sailor Man lyrics, but with Pop-Eye replaced with Jesus. Evidently I was a literary genius.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 05:00:28 am »

Should have used Still Alive but replace live with Jesus. So it sounds like "Still a Jesus"
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 11:06:12 pm »

again... I feel the need to advertise this totally free (in all senses) and practically abandoned web page... www.thestories.net

It has a pretty cool interface and it's the sister of a very popular spanish poetry & stories website (www.loscuentos.net).

“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 11:19:36 pm »

Yeah, I used it to prove to my father in something related. I submitted the Pop-Eye the Sailor Man lyrics, but with Pop-Eye replaced with Jesus. Evidently I was a literary genius.
Evidently, you are...

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 10:47:57 am »

again... I feel the need to advertise this totally free (in all senses) and practically abandoned web page... www.thestories.net

It has a pretty cool interface and it's the sister of a very popular spanish poetry & stories website (www.loscuentos.net).

WE NEED A SLOGAN!