Finally... > Creative Projects

Poetry.com is dead!

(1/3) > >>

Servant Corps:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poetry.com

Poetry.com was hated throughout the liteary community. They are pretty much dismissed as a vanity publisher. They hold contests, where you send them a poem and they tell you if you win. Of course, everybody wins these contests, so your poem gets published in an anthology. You however have to pay money to buy the anthology, and later on, you may be fleeced into paying for a trip to Washigtion to see who gets First Place. Poetry.com made money by convicing the poetry winners to give money to Poetry.com to buy useless junk with their poem on it.

And now Poetry.com is dead, as it got bought out by a more honest vanity publisher, Lulu.com. They plan on revamping "Poetry.com", appernatly by rewarding a cash prize instead of a chance to get published in anthology (your poem gets stuck on poetry.com though), and trying to convince people to self-publish their poem collections through Lulu.com. It will be interesting to see how successful Lulu.com will be...

Awayfarer:
Ding dong, the witch is dead!

I submitted exactly one poem to them. The heaps of spam they sent in return made it clear that it was a mistake.

Mephisto:
I had a teacher one time who had little or no common sense and conveniently ignored the fact that Poetry.com wasn't a good place. One of our assignments was to submit a poem. Of course, they were all perfect and were placed in a book. Except for mine (which was never handed in, for obvious reasons), that is.

inaluct:
Never even heard of it. It sounds like something stupid people would be entangled in.

Ampersand:
It is. I submitted one just to demonstrate the scam to a friend of mine, and can attest to the heaps of spam. Also proved that they don't do any attempt to keep out plagiarism, by blatantly ripping off some song I forget.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version