Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: New use for Zinc and Aluminum and Spider Silk  (Read 7272 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New use for Zinc and Aluminum and Spider Silk
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2009, 01:44:52 am »

He was wounded (bruised) due to the force of the spear being converted from "piercing type" damage to "bludgeon type" damage.

Plus the mighty power of plotholes! Since... the force of the spear alone should have been enough to crush him or at least break a few bones (The chest isn't the most safe location to take a blow...)

a method banned from being used on criminals subject to the death penalty due to being "cruel and unusual punishment."

The current method of capital punishment isn't any less cruel to my knowledge... The difference is however that the person under it is incapable of showing the pain they are under so onlookers only see what looks like them drifting off to sleep. (Which to me is a pretty horrible practice... Am I the only one who finds something wrong with people wanting to watch being be killed? Closure be danged!).

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2009, 02:00:51 am »

The question is whether or not those people are in pain at all.

A lethal injection cocktail, if made properly, would knock the person out quickly enough that they wouldn't feel a damn thing.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2009, 02:11:39 am »

The question is whether or not those people are in pain at all

Apperantly the issue is that it actually just paralyses them.

Though since I live in a place pretty much dead set against Capital Punishment (sorta... even I am surprised by the number of people for Capital Punishment for more reasons then a misconception that it prevents crime, which is to me frightening) I am sure I am getting tampered information.

Though it really doesn't matter to me whether it is painless or not anyhow... if I had to make a change it would be that there would be no onlookers unless they want to do it themselves as well as clean up. It should be no mystery that I find Onlookers to be a scary concept... Though it comes from my disdain of killing people in all forms.

Though this is horrible horrible off topic... then again... I am not sure what dirrection this topic can go to....

I guess Alchemists could use magical mixtures to tighten the bonds within silk allowing it to become many times stronger then usual. For example they could use Glue created from the bones of trolls.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 02:13:11 am by Neonivek »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2009, 03:17:51 am »

No.

That is one agent in the formula, but there's also a very powerful general anesthetic.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2009, 03:32:39 am »

No.

That is one agent in the formula, but there's also a very powerful general anesthetic.

That's the idea anyway.  Except that the drugs are administered by total incompetents as often as not, since the only people qualified to do so are by definition barred from participating.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2009, 05:49:52 am »

Hippocrates to the rescue!

Hey look over there, an obvious distraction!
[/rerail](there's other threads for PETA and capital punishment, thanks)

I actually really like the idea of being able to weave metal strands or wire into silk or other cloth. Silver or gold cloth is made by supporting the strands of metal on more traditional fabric because they were too weak to be woven into a fabric by themselves. This would be a fun way to add clothing variety and value (although pig tail cloth maybe needs to become cheaper to balance it out.)

You could also do this with adamantine, both as a merely decorative item and as something to completely resist slashing or piercing damage (but not the associated kinetic force). Something like an adamantine-reinforced surcoat would be quite useful for a plate-armored dwarf. It would also be cool if you could make an adamantine mesh fine enough to see through for use in helmets. No arrows to the eye for you, little dwarves!
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2009, 09:14:12 am »

No.

That's the idea anyway.  Except that the drugs are administered by total incompetents as often as not, since the only people qualified to do so are by definition barred from participating.

And vets of your local animal shelter are more likely than not to be "not qualified." ;)

So yes.  The animal gets paralyzed and feels quite a bit of pain.

Ethical Treatment of Animals?  My tail.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2009, 11:13:17 am »

What makes you say that a vet working at an animal shelter, is likely not to be competant?  The shelters I've been to(admittingly not many) have fully trained vets who work/volunteer) there to care for animals found injured or to perform spaiding and neutering.

Back to the real topic.

Unless Frodo's back was against a large movement imparing structure he probably would have been knocked back/down several feet.  Because an 80 90 pound hobbit, being hit by a spear that cannot puncture his body, would act much like a pool cue being weilded by a 600lb+ troll. (Aragorn in the near right pocket!) That being said he should still be helluva bruised, and ought to have a cracked rib or too...
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2009, 06:22:48 pm »

You know, since it doesn't take much effort to puncture the chest (given the type of weapon the troll had and the clothes it saw Frodo wearing), the troll probably wasn't trying too hard.  I doubt it often had to deal with people wearing mythril.  I know it was stupid, but then, that's only more reason for it not to try all that hard against a "poorly" armored opponent as small as Frodo.  And remember, he did pass out from pain after getting hit.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2009, 06:58:30 pm »

What makes you say that a vet working at an animal shelter, is likely not to be competant?  The shelters I've been to(admittingly not many) have fully trained vets who work/volunteer) there to care for animals found injured or to perform spaiding and neutering.

There's a difference between knowing how to be a vet and knowing how to perform lethal injections.

</derail>

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2009, 07:11:06 pm »

Unless Frodo's back was against a large movement imparing structure

It was

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2009, 01:19:27 am »

Maybe this is a little slow but...

...I thought the issue was aluminum silk?

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2009, 05:11:28 pm »

There's a difference between knowing how to be a vet and knowing how to perform lethal injections.
</derail>

Someone needs to read All Creatures... lethal injections are standard vetrinary practice.  Sometimes the best thing to do is to end animal's suffering.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]