Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Daycare/Tutoring  (Read 1603 times)

ampillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Video Stuffs!
Re: Daycare/Tutoring
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 05:24:27 pm »

Child care could be part of a new profession tree along with medical care.  Like... a domestic worker labor section.
That's anachronistic. Children were taken care of by the family, lacking that they were taken in by the extended family, lacking that the wolves or a charity institution took care of them, more often than not religiously inspired. Children were a personal responsibility, not an outsourcable job or profession.

Given the importance of the crafts in dwarven society, apprenticeship is the way to go. Children would be carried around by a parent until they could walk, after that they would be more autonomous, gradually spending more time playing with other kids (gaining social skills) and hanging around craftsmen that fascinate them. They would pick up some skill by watching them, just enough to show their interests (or that could be put in the profile. "Urist wants to grow up to be a miner."). When they are (the dwarven equivalent of the human) 12 years old, they would be able to engage in a formal apprenticeship (I'd prefer them to do that automatically, according to their preferences, parent's wealth and supply/demand, though possibly overridden by the player's order). That would, in practice, consist of doing hauling jobs for the master and hanging around in his workshop. The dwarf would then gain skill (faster with a master with better social skills), and when he is somewhere around the equivalent of unspecified or proficient, the apprenticeship would end.

The childcare is more just a 'fix' to avoid the hassles of moods brought about by the loss of a child on the battlefield, though it would make 'snatchers' rather pointless, as it'd be way too easy to simply put all your fort's babies into daycare near a heavily trafficked area, and never deal with those guys ever again. I made the suggestion just so I'd stop seeing the 'cancels sparring: seeking infant' message again.  :P

The apprenticeship/tutoring angle though seems like it could actually add something to the game overall. Being able to tailor your future dwarves towards your fortresses needs, or projected needs. Perhaps you could rely more on them growing up and becoming useful dwarves as opposed to changing the four cheesemakers who just arrived in your last immigration wave into something else.

It just seems rather silly that once they reach the child age, they just wander off and do whatever the heck they want... when I imagine children in that sort of setting would actually be utilized rather early in helping out with their family's line of work, or if needed, the needs of the clan/social unit/village. Sure, give them a grace period of a year to fool around and do whatever, but after that, they are merely tiny dwarves. (Which means they only get Dwarven Ale Lite.)

Perhaps the children would most likely have a calling towards one of the chosen crafts/careers that their parents have, except in the case of a more wealthy family/nobility, they have the option of doing whatever they want to. (Perhaps they are inspired by a particularly well crafted high boot that their noble father seems to have some kind of freaky fetish for, since he leaves them sitting about everywhere... so they go into armorcrafting.) Heck, maybe some of them become nobles and go back to the Mountainhome as diplomats for your populace, or off to other civilizations to broker trade deals or create new trading partners. Who knows!

All I know is that my current fort has at least 60 children, and it seems silly that the rest of my dwarves should trip over this errant wave of adolescents all the time.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 06:15:09 pm »

The apprentice would require teaching in the craft he's an apprentice to, and that takes time away from teh actual work

On the other end of the spectrum the Apprentice does all the jobs the Blacksmith doesn't want to do making him work even faster.

Katie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 07:34:51 pm »

The apprentice would require teaching in the craft he's an apprentice to, and that takes time away from teh actual work

On the other end of the spectrum the Apprentice does all the jobs the Blacksmith doesn't want to do making him work even faster.

Even so, teaching is still necessary and for that you need to go slowly so they get it and make no mistakes.
Perhaps apprenticeships would allow for two tasks being done at once, one by the master and the other by the appretice.
The master and apprentice would work at the same pace so he can keep up with the master and learn by doing and the masters guidance.
Although it would provide one perfectly knitted mitten menacing with spikes, and one less perfect but still not bottom quality due to a tutor being present.
Pages: 1 [2]