Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: community fort... who's up for it?  (Read 9137 times)

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: community fort... who's up for it?
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2009, 12:28:51 pm »

Due to this fort being on a different computer, the embark settings will be different (in this case, this comp is using the rapid expansion build)

and its haunted :-)

ok, initial examination shows right between the river in the mountain and the river coming, out there seems to be a lot of mganetite so you might want to focus mining operations there, like the last one, this map is temperate with a lot of trees, I do not remember if I specifically found sand but I will look

EDIT: ok... yeah... new generation this one is without magma and sand

EDIT2: Ok after 6 different maps I FINALLY found a site that is suitable (barely), its missing magma, and HFS but it has lots of sand

the other downsides is that there is an aquifer like one level down in the desert, so don't dig there, and the only river is underground, hopefully you all find it.

Other than that it is pretty suitable so I am embarking
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 12:56:40 pm by sausage »
Of course, why else would dwarves risk life and limb to retrive one sock during a full scale siege onslaught.
The depressing thing is that they quite often lose life and limb(s) in the process.

Augustus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2009, 12:40:41 pm »

Sounds gewd.  I work tonight, but will have plenty time off tommorow to mess around with dwarves tonight / tommorow.

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2009, 12:58:17 pm »

I like this new site, I have done a basic examination and found that there is lots of magnetite and all the walls are chalk... thank god for blessing me with such an area, edit will be with download link

EDIT: ok so, I saved under the same name so the previous download should work but if you need it

Direct: http://broomfield.bvsd.org/~locke233/Region6-DwarfFort Community Fortress.zip
Indirect (definitely works): http://broomfield.bvsd.org/~locke233/ProgramSite.htm

Ok, is it just me or is it almost impossible to edit url's
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 01:13:42 pm by sausage »
Of course, why else would dwarves risk life and limb to retrive one sock during a full scale siege onslaught.
The depressing thing is that they quite often lose life and limb(s) in the process.

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2009, 02:38:37 pm »

Dear Ineth Datanbasen,

Below is the status report for year one

Year one has gone by swimmingly with no major events besides the hunter being killed by ratmen.  We have set up basic survival operations such as farming and bedrooms.  We were even able to create a few crafts in the process which we trade to the caravan in exchange for some food and alcohol.

We are in the process of training our mechanic to be a bookeeper so I am sorry if our counts are inaccurate but here goes:

Total wealth: 7221
Population: 6: 3 miners, 1 stoneworker, one metalsmith, and one admin
Food stores: 296
25 meats
5 fish
67 plants
90 seeds
194 drinks
5 other

2 trained animals (war dogs)
4 other animals

Our current living conditions are poor however they are improving, 5 of the 6 dwarves have their own rooms. there are 9 built but our mason is slacking off and not living up to his door making responsibilities, we may have to execute him for incomptenence.

All of our fortress is currently based on Urist McArchitect's Decentralized Living and Decentralized Workshop complexes

Our current defense situation is nil. There is NO current defense in our fort, if the goblins were to attack tomorrow, we would go down without a fight.

If there is anything else you would like to know, please send a letter with the next caravan stating what we forgot

P.S. remember that this is not a full year, currently it is 6th sandstone, mid-autumn

[OOC] ineth is the actual queen of the dwarven civilization
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 02:47:14 pm by sausage »

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2009, 03:21:03 pm »

My year is finished... now to math homework

I am waiting on someone else to finish so I stay close to someone...

no rush though, I have plenty of other things to do

Oldin

• Bay Watcher
  • I Lost the game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2009, 03:53:47 pm »

I have to say Fikod Alåthbab has to be crazy. The first thing he does when we decide to stop is go and wrestle with the freaking Troglodytes! I quickly told him to stop being stupid and help with the hauling, instead of trying to get himself killed. At least he seems to be recovering ok. He's still grunting a bit about his lower back when he is lifting the wooden logs I told him to clear.

The rest of us are doing pretty well too right now. We have decided to dig the fort a couple of levels lower than where our Wagon broke down. At least we could salvage all the wood from the wagon and turn it into coal and make an iron battle axe from the iron bar we had hauled with us from the Mountainhome. That was what Asob Atírodgúb said it was for anyway. Good thing we had the anvil and enough wood from the Wagon to actually get the axe forged so we could get some more wood to burn into Charcoal and make 2 copper picks from the "all purpose copper" Asob said he always kept with him.

I think the Desert to the south seems like it could have an aquifer layer below, so I told the miners to dig a waterhole in there. Hopefully it will fill with water so we have an easy source of water.

There seems to be a lot of Wildlife in the area, especially near the Chasm that is visible from a bit north from the Fort Entrance to be. This entrance has to be a good sign, since there's a Hematite Vein we just have to dig through to get room for entry. I love it when digging a fort also provides us with some much needed iron. There also seems to be a Magnetite Deposit a bit south of the entrance and several Lignite and Bituminous Coal Veins around the mountainside. This really promises to be a prosperous spot to build a fort. If only we had Magma.

The ragtag bunch of hoodlums that decided to tag along for this trip are a motley crew. There's a bunch of former miners who think they can make food. And grow it. We'll see if I can spare them from digging long enough to get some food. There's Fikod who seems to be suicidal... He says he is good with an axe, but he charged headlong into that troglodyte without one. There must be something wrong with him. Then there's a Mason who has a hobby of building things Mörul, He said he liked making things click. And there's the Mechanic wanna be Architecht Zuntîr. He had his trainee papers from the Royal Bookkeeper Bureau I think he'll end up as our clerk eventually.

All in all I think we have a good chance of success. However, it needs a lot of luck

((That's the first thoughts of the situation, we'll see what happens in the future. Sorry about the language. Not my first language, this english thing))

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2009, 04:07:49 pm »

ehh... your english was fine, the wood cutter is supposed to go hunt thats why I brought some war dogs, but yeah he dies a lot... (almost every fortress ive played with that build)

P.S. I like your story telling abilites

Oldin

• Bay Watcher
  • I Lost the game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2009, 04:16:02 pm »

Well the woodcutter will go hunting after he gets equipped. There's no axe yet so it's best to not go hunting until there is on, by the way, it will be a steel one. Made the picks first and got some chalk and hematite from the wall and some Bituminous coal for the coke needed. Also I'm making some leather armor and a shield from the leather there was with us. So he should be able to take on a couple of troglodytes :)

By the way, I can't seem to find the aquifer, and have now decided to stop wasting time trying to find one. The ponds to the east seem to stay relatively full most of the time so Hopefully I can just get water from there when I need it for now.

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2009, 04:22:31 pm »

The aquifer is under the sand, or it at least thats what it said in the biome info

Oldin

• Bay Watcher
  • I Lost the game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2009, 04:35:19 pm »

Dang, even with all that equipment the hunter got himself killed. And now my axe is surrounded by bloodthirsty troglodytes. Bad.

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2009, 04:38:23 pm »

rofl...

having fun?

Oldin

• Bay Watcher
  • I Lost the game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2009, 04:59:25 pm »

Plenty, will have even more fun when the others start playing through. I've been spending plenty of time jsut planning the fort, Midway through summer now.

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2009, 05:16:50 pm »

I just hope the others are paying attention to this thread lol

Augustus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2009, 08:41:22 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We shall not break ground till all of the beady eyed troggs have met their end.

-Zuntar  Zuglarrab

((RIP Myrul ;(   ))

Augustus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2009, 08:54:19 pm »

Okay, maybe that was a terrible idea. ;p   Seems my set of dwarves can't fight too well against troggs as 3 more have been cut down.  Im going to break down and restart.  lol

I'll get my revenge on them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8