Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Craddelfires, Glaze of Ice (Community Fort)  (Read 1639 times)

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
Craddelfires, Glaze of Ice (Community Fort)
« on: April 24, 2009, 07:38:56 pm »

The Ageless Plains, where north and east of the Satiny Crest, men have all but eliminated elves, and even now the forrest retreats are somewhat devoid of trees, the goblins do the same to dwarves to the south and west.

Pinned between the goblin civilizations of The Harmonious Menace on the south, and The North Sins on the north, is the dwarvern civilization, The Hall of Dots.  the only other outpost besides Bėrūllokum itself fell to ruins long ago.

So we flee south, from our mountains the Bulbus Walls, through the Oaken Murk, over the Symmetric Steps, down the Dune of Trailing, to the base of the3 Torch of Controls.  A dying volcano for a dying people now covered by a frozen forest no one would want. We crowd into the wagons and make our journey, hoping the icy cliffs of the Bald Hill over the Dune of Mornings, can defend us from pursuit and warm us with the blood of the earth.

3x3 region, 4 layers soil, volcano pipe, 2 layer aquifer, sand, all freezing, half dune, half shrubland... shrubland side is extreme cliffs.

Theme: Fortress of Glass, Ice, and Magma.

Challanges: Central magma pipe on small map, aquifer based ice production.  Damn cold. Goal of evacuating mountain home, so need to preserve nobles.

'Kitt' Frostglove, glassmaker/leader
(open) Lady Admiredcloisters, glassmaker/carpenter
(open) Miss Roughnessstable, Cook
(Deceased)'Shiz' Righteousclasp, Marksdwarf
(Deceased) Lady Citypass, EarthStriker
(open) Inkhames, Axelady
(open) Miss Pantgloves, jeweler

Definitely want to bring an experienced glassmaker for all would be masonry work.

And really, first community fort for me, so don't hold too much faith.

Anyways, come, join The Crystalline Blazes of Sanctuary on their quest to build a sanctuary for the remaining dwarves.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 11:17:07 am by Time Kitten »

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
Re: Craddelfires, Glaze of Ice (Community Fort)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 08:49:26 pm »

'Kitt' Frostyglove looked about again as the wagon truddled along, dripping blood everywhere as her nose started to bleed again in the frigid air.  Her girls, and the male thing would be to their new home soon, the first of many.  and she would have a bed.  She liked beds.  Enough would be made for everyone soon enough.  The wagon didn't have much room for beds, so her insistence that the dogs stay behind to keep the women warm while the men hunt was genious.  Especially since the men didn't come back.  She just couldn't do without the mutts to keep her warm. There, ahead was the bald hill, encrusted with snow,menacing with spiky trees, dirt shorn majesty almost making her wish they had boated to a tropical island instead where they wouldn't even need clothes.  Almost.  She couldn't deal with the hideous menfolk gong without coverings, modest cloaks, gloves, and the like.

She picked at her nose for a moment, considering her role in leadership... not really much of a choice.  The only person of the bunch who wouldn't crack under the preasure who would was stupid enough to take the job was master Rightiousclaps, and she wouldn't have any ideas other than his own... besides, Rightiousclasps? What, was he named after his grip on himself? *Snicker*

Miss Pantgloves, the bubbly dwarf in a world of her own who had taken to calling herself Kitt's sister jostled her elbow.  "What?" Kitt asks.  "It's going to get warmer soon aint it? Oh, so many ideas... what shall wwe build first?  hanging rings, menecing spires?"  Kitt sighed, "Circles of stone, to wall us in and keep us safe."  Miss Pantgloves cocked her head to the side, "Safe from what?"

Kitt gave a sigh of relief as Miss Inkhames came to distract the over excitable dwarfette, with her cheerful tales of chopping off dragon tails with her axe, nevermind them having all died off in an age long past.  Couldn't get her to say anything at all serious, but she got her work done, at least.

Lady Citypass, a steadfast dwarf if there ever was one from the mountainhome, was busy elsewhere, or at least busy trying to appear busy as she talked to Roughnesstable, who wholeheartedly let her as she went over all the plans once again, all front the top of her head (poor thing, think she might not even know how to read) with Lady Admiredcloisters tho was in turn too busy munching the last of our cheeze to notice she was even being talked to.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 09:22:29 pm »

"We've arived... alright, everyone look around then let's dig ourselves in before the wolves get us." I declare as we reach the cleft in the mountins.

"W-wolves!? You didn't say anything about wolves!" Miss Pantygloves shouts.

"It was in the brochure, surely," i say.

"What brochure?" She asks.

"Alright people, let's pull the wagon OUT of the magma before those imps spot us!" I order with the utmost urgency over the barking of the dogs and whining of the gaggle.

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-5627-craddlefires

(Get out your crayons people, plenty, plenty of room to build up on this map)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 10:22:30 pm by Time Kitten »

Shizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Last as long as you can Monkey boy!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 03:04:21 am »

I will take your Marksdwarf name him the "Shiz" in his off time(if any) make him engrave the terrible visions of battle. Also request a green glass barracks.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 10:41:55 am »

2nd Granite, Kitt Frostglove:

"Everyone but Rightiousclasp, grab a bag of seeds!" Yells miss roughenstable, "They are the most important."

"And I get to stand here and watch, because I'm the shiz, right?" snerks rightiousclasp. Kitt immediatly runs over and yanks his beard to get his attention as she orders him about, "Take a rock, and start making quivers, since you were so stupid as to break the last one, then, 'Shiz'"  And thus the name stuck.

I've never seen such a concerted effort by dwarves before.  from most imortant item to least, they all rushed, all the girls besides Pantgloves were at least somewhat agile, and we easilly outpaced the wind as we unloaded the non-perrishable flammables first.

Our fears upon us, the fire imps attack! Vicktory, or is it? We lost two dog to the heat, one to injury and there is smoke about.  We move as fast as we can to get the booze out of the way. The last of our bolts are unneeded, at least as the dogs have saved us.  Praise Dog! and horse... I think the horse helped.

We quickly establish a curtain wall across the north end of the grotto just east of the pipe with our magma safe stone while Lady Citypass steepens the slopes around our makeshift camp, full of every last bit of our supplies as we takje the wagon for parts.

Shiz, being the gentleman he is,offers to get a trap and take care of those rhino lizards with thier hidious two legs that are pestering the barrels and freaking some of the girls out.

Lady inkhames hurries to clear the brush from our home as lady Lady Admiredcloisters fassion crude pannels to act as doors to it. The rest of us take a deep breath.  Then i set about rewarding the dogs for their violence, training them to love it.

As we are seccure, I see no reason why not to begin setting up for production, and Lady Citypass is happy enough to be digging in peat rather than hard granit as having just cleared our room. from a nitch in the mountainside. We let Shiz smooth it out.... haven't told him he isn't going to get to sleep in it, though.

Haha, black sand right under our feet!  This will make a fine spot for glassmaking.  Ah, and damp sand, we'll not want for water, at least.  Digging continues under our feet, amking more permanent places for our supplies.

Sadness.  Citypass ran stumbled into the fire, then ran to Shiz for help as he smoothed our bedroom...  I've locked the door against the blaze... well, better figure out how to work this swingy stabby thing to makes some holes for the furnaces.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 11:24:50 am »

I will take your Marksdwarf name him the "Shiz" in his off time(if any) make him engrave the terrible visions of battle. Also request a green glass barracks.

Oh, well... sorry. Two dwarves and three dogs dead in the first month.  But hey, at least you made it to the last paragraph of the update.  I'll act insane next time we get a male potential marksdwarf to make it up to you.

Shizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Last as long as you can Monkey boy!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 12:11:33 pm »

Lol, I went out in a "blaze" of glory.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 12:49:57 pm »

Slate; Kitt:

I had Inkhalms take the other swingy stabby thing, maybe it will help get her mind off losing two of her friends. Then I told her to take her anger out on some trees.  then i told her to take her mind off it by taking inventory.  Yes, yes, what a wonderful counsler I am!

Then i noticed Pantsglove just standing around looking sad as well, so i told her to take the pointy swingy thing and carve out a room for the booze while I make a millstone for whatever milling we have to do, a pump to power the waterwheel, and a whaterwhell to power the pump with the natural rush  of aquifer water.  That didn't work out as well as I had hoped.  Luckily we managed to stop the flooding before it reached the furnaces.

well, that was a fun month, at least nothing burst into flame this time.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 02:15:33 pm »

23rd Felsite. Struck cobaltite.  Heck yeah!  Hope those nasty kobolds don't come trying to steal it from us.

Groundhogs, one humped camels, and now a jaguar, surely the cigarette industry will stop at no bounds to their advertisement.

Summer arrives. Time to put down everything and asses the situations.

Inkhames has her mind cleared now, and is displaying unbalievable agility now.  I think we may have her try to axe some of that wildlife so we can have meat again.  That pump just puts out too much water, gonna have to completely seal it off to keep the farm room from flooding.

Also beginning the first of our fortifications on the mound between us and the pipe.  Should be an impressive use for glass. Was also considering what to make from trade in the fall, but Miss Pantgloves has been making large gems out of some of our practice glass.. I wonder if we can get her to encrust those with more glass...

And such Inkhames did dispatch the jaguar, flitting across the snow with perfect agility, tripping the last step up the mountain, deflecting it's bite with her *oaken buckler*, and ending it's majestic life with her Steel Axe.  I don't really think she needed to sneak, seeing as she can run faster than a bolt.

Thieves!  Pantsgloves gave a cry and charged after them with her pick.  Wasn't quite fast enough to catch them, though, as the second one tripped her while she ran after the first. Not as lucky as the second though, it seems, who was pretty seriously mangled before she managed to lodge her pick in it's chest. Then she proceeded to make it's loincloth menace of spikes.  Kinda kinky... mostly just creepy.

Miss Roughnessstable seasoned up some nice groundhog stew with the tallow she extracted from the jaguar, most delectable.  Inkhames now gets to make down the wildlife by two points, and our stocks of groundhog parts by 10.

And I finally managed to get that pump system working, finally.  The trade depot looks rather nice, with being half covered in snow and all, but i'll be looking to move it into a more defensable position soon.

Oh, and a wonderful groundhog meat roast, with a side of jaguar comes next, followed by groundhog with groundhog gravy how delightful.  We'll certainly not be wanting for better food anymore with this cooking. Not with that last lingering camel heading towards the pot, at least.

Autum comes, and we ready our trade goods... I'm affraid to ask what the goo smear on these shoes is made of.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 04:26:37 pm by Time Kitten »

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 06:45:06 pm »

The caravan and liason from īton Sacat have arrived!  I immediatly orger the now sequined silk clothes salvaged from our fallen to be rushed to the depot, along with a roast for surely weary travelers!  We immediatly reqests thier surups and cheezes so that we might buy the many socks with images of our pasts kings.  Also a -Steel Buckler- to inhance Inkhames' hunting and a bin of leather to craft some armour for her.

Then off to meetig to tell what we want next time.  Silk threads and cave lobster which must be imported, a variety of gems for our crafting, and lastly steel and a variaty of crafting metals.

Aha, they request shoes of us, excellent, surely when we get new arrivals, one will be put right to the task.  And they loke our cooking enough that soon we shall have all the ammo and ropes we could ever go through in 6 minutes!

Puppies!  EEEEEEEEEEE!!!

And the caravan guard was nice enough to evict the fire man from OUR volcano, gunning off it's left leg with their bolts. It's actually kind of pretty, really, as it's blood is the only thing that can bring spring to this land.

The traders go with a few partign shots at the fire man... and MONKEYS!  One gets away with our (-Steel Helm-) but luckily Inkhames gets the rest, and one is left for our cage trap.  ... I don't even know how Roughnesstable traded for that mule and horse she butchered behind my back... and I don't think I want to. oh, wait, cages in the butchery... the empty cages, of course! ...  They weren't empty.

Boltcrux, the female jeweler
Lady Highbanners, the wood burner... possibly important to the fort if we decide to make clear glass for some reason.
a Mr. Tomblashes, peasant, but with promise,
Mr Polishedaxe the woodcutter... awesome.
Master Bootmute the Miller, whew, was affraid one of us would have to cross train for that.
Mister Passedglaze, a forward thinking peasant.
Riderboards, the surfing fisherman
Lady Threefences, the unskilled.
Rackleads the plantress.

Note: make more beds.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 06:46:55 pm by Time Kitten »

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 11:57:42 pm »

Alright, lets get you some work!

Tombs, pick up... one of those pointy swingy thingies, and strike the earth!

Threefences, Highbanners, glass duty!  We're gonna need a lot of blocks.

Boltcrux... you sound like a marksdwarf... Pick up a crossbow!

Miller, do some threshing!

Polishedswrod, or whatever your name is, fell some trees for your beds!

You, with the rack, assist Roughness!

Rider, Glaze, get some hauling done and you can have Pantgloves for the night.

Wait, WHAT?

You heard me, Pantgloves, I will not have unmotivated workers in my fort!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 12:02:45 am by Time Kitten »

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 06:02:16 pm »

Gasp, one of the cougars outside the walls spotted a thief running off with one of our (-Steel Greaves-) before we could even encircle it in glass!  I've ordered two of our wardogs to be staked out at our entrances with cave spider silk ropes that encircled with pyrite, menace with spikes of green glass, and have silk pictures of the mightiest alligators dwarves have ever faced... so the dogs have reference for what to kill.

Work on the glass barracks is steady, and two walls and half the ceiling are complete, including an archery range for Boltcrux to shoot her bones dirrectly into the volcano, to save on clean up.

Oh, dog, the fire man waits upon the ledge over the pit, staring mournfully down at his overtaken home, no longer bringing spring to the snowy lands beneath (no percipitation across biome lines here, leaving half the mape just plain grey peat) I cannot order such a majestic creature put down, nor can I order the pouring of the ice walls while it yet lives.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 07:34:25 pm »

Guess you did...
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 10:07:56 pm »

doing away with things like private bedrooms really seemed to improve moral, make things more efficient to the max as they sleep mostly in a meetinghall/food larder/bedroom with the booze next door, and the workshops just past that.  The barraks will probably be the first real room, if only so the military can be bothered by the goblins walking in and never have to go on duty and stop sparing.  Heck, due to the tiny rooms, I've had to house the immigrants in the tombs... which REALLY boosts their moral as I prepare enough coffins to match their number.  Really just dissapointed i wasn't able to get that last roast our in time to trade for two full sets of steel armour so i could start a proper military right away... but I'm already at a 50% exports to imports ratio early enough to make me feel just wonderful.

The fort could probably hold this number permanently and still manage to grow grow grow, but I'm leaving immigration on since a goal is to get them as fast as possible.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 09:33:07 pm »

25 moonstone:

Ran out of hauling work.  Have to break the news to Pantgloves somehow.

Spring!

we eagerly await the wonderous meat... er, magestic animals the elves will bring us.  Our miller has milked some firesnakes that Inkhames has caught, and Pantgloves has produced many large gems and put sequins on ALL our other trade goods. The barracks is now complete yet for southern wall and flooring yet is now functional, including part of a roof over the place Boltcrux stands as she shoots her practice bolts.  Bins are now everywhere, and Inkhames brings us another cougar to carve into, truly she is becoming the hero of this fort.

Alright folks, what will be this year's project?

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-5684-craddlefires
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 10:01:59 pm by Time Kitten »
Pages: [1] 2