Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarfhatten Megaproject : What am I doing wrong?  (Read 15517 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfhatten Megaproject : What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 02:41:44 am »

I've hollowed out a room under my Trade Depot, and I've been stacking up blocks of Pitchblende and Graphite in alternating rows... but it doesn't seem to be doing very much.

The graphite is only for placement of the pitcheblende - once you have that in place, you need to remove the graphite... one bar at a time...

If you're going to submerse it, submerse it FIRST.  That's a classic blunder, as the water reflect the neutrons back, shield the users but increasing the reaction many fold.  Great way to flash the water and have one brilliant blue-to-green glow before everyone is Brazilian fried chicken.

Oh, wait.. are you talking DF or RL?...

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 04:11:41 am »

<--

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 10:38:13 am »

Well...if you added magma and exposed the heap to the air, you could recreate Chernobyl.  Just build a few windmills to test the local winds, and make sure an elven forest is downwind of you.

Bonus points if you can gather up all sorts of dangerous creatures and deadly traps and then abandon.  Then quest there in Adventure Mode with an Ambusher.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 12:54:05 pm »

some day people will read this thread and think 'what was this guy on - particle simulation was not in until version 106'
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

acropora

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • mintSudoku
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 01:24:40 pm »

Obviously you need Urist Oppenheimer to lead the project.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 01:45:00 pm »

Depending on how rich uranium ore deposits are in DF, making a reactor from nothing more than pitchblend and water could be possible.  It's happened on Earth:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_nuclear_fission_reactor

You probably don't want the graphite.  It's not actually needed if you have enough water, and might actually prevent a chain reaction if it's contaminated with sulfur or other neutron poisons.

Of course, you can expect the elves to permanently declare war on you for experimenting with nuclear power.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 03:02:53 pm »

Of course, you can expect the elves to permanently declare war on you for experimenting with nuclear power.
I knew that it had to be useful for SOMETHING!

I'm beginning to suspect that TOADY hasn't finished implimenting the Thermonuclear Armageddon Arc.  :(
Never pet a burning dog.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 03:45:01 pm »

okay, lets face facts here- too much graphite! pitchblende blocks are very impure, and will only give a small amount of what you need.

mutation- could be a groundwater contamination. check the walls/floors of your water sources.

my advice, get some pitchblende mechanisms, on top on a graphite block wall, and build a perpetual motion waterfall. thats your core power supply. next, route this power to a separate room where the pitchblende blocks are in the senter of a 3-z level+ booze stockpile. put a chute up top for magma.

now, once its built, fill the chute with magma, and open all the floodgates at the SAME TIME! resulting in a rather forcefull BOOM to implode the pitchblende core. this should give the desired bang. add a water supply nearby for fusion, in a room below to catch the magma when your wooden supports cave in. hydrogen will be released from the magma+water, resulting in fuel for fusion.

ProfessorA

• Bay Watcher
  • don't close your eyes, they'll get your eyelids
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2009, 04:38:36 pm »

Make sure to train up your armorsmith and have plenty of lead bars around, without *Lead Plate Mail* your haulers are as good as dead.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 05:17:39 pm »

some day people will read this thread and think 'what was this guy on - particle simulation was not in until version 106'

Hey, I've been looking for something to liven up my sig.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 06:28:00 pm »

If at all possible, try to create the dwarven equivalent of a college to put the reactor under to simulate how the project in RL actually started

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 06:50:18 pm »

I was planning to put the next one under a "squash court"... a field covered with stone-fall traps, triggered by pressure-plates. One wrong step... and SQUASH!

Any idea which stone-layers are best for finding Pitchblende? Since it's a hydrated Oxide, I would assume that Sandstone would be a pretty good place to search for it.

EDIT: Wiki says only in Granite.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 07:17:13 pm by blue emu »
Never pet a burning dog.

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 07:40:14 pm »

If you are doing any dwarven nuke project, you need a dwarf to ride it. Definatly wearing a Hydra Leather Hat. Bonus points if it's a noble.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 08:02:42 pm »

You need to refine both the pitchblende and the graphite.  Then you put the uranium metal inside of a refined graphite chamber, so that instead of flying off, neutrons are slowed down and bounced back so that the non-U-235 atoms don't just absorb them.  This way, you get more boom.

Or at least, that's what I hear from the Smithsonian museum of American history.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 12:23:10 am »

Bah, nuclear fission is an insidious plot by the hippies, so that poor dorfs will create electric smelters, so ruin the woodcutters guild.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4