Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarfhatten Megaproject : What am I doing wrong?  (Read 15596 times)

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfhatten Megaproject : What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2009, 09:04:32 am »

Ruin? Hah. The carpenters still have their bed monopoly, and an untouchable edge on the barrel and bin markets. The axes will not fall silent for a good while yet.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2009, 02:08:29 pm »

I think I just saw the Hippies get blamed for nukes.  Something's wrong, but I'm not sure what.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2009, 04:06:16 pm »

I looked up "yellowcake" on wikipedia, and it looks like refining it from pitchblende isn't THAT hard?  Crush it up, run acids over it and then let the acid dry?  Seems like it would be doable with DF-level technology...

I TOTALLY want to make lethally-radioactive statues to 'appease' my nobles demands for opulence..

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2009, 04:15:04 pm »

I'm generating a new map now to give it another go. I'll be looking for a spot with (hopefully) two layers of Granite to maximize my Pitchblende resource, some sand, a stream, Magma, flux, Bauxite, metal ores, enough trees, some Beryllium-based gems (Chrysoberyl, Aquamarine, etc) to make Neutron reflectors and Alpha-Particle absorbers...

I was going to locate the reactor a few levels down (in order to leave room for Magma/Water plumbing above and below it), line the walls of the room with Beryllium-based gem windows to reflect the Neutrons back into the core, and stack up the pile inside that. Maybe a few Kittens chained up to it as Mew-on sources...

Does anyone want to submit a design? It'll be a while before the Fort is developed enough to actually finalize the reactor layout.
Never pet a burning dog.

McSmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2009, 04:28:40 pm »

Place a magma-dipped iron or steel bin containing lignite blocks into the very middle, divert mississippi-sized river into said core, build cooling tower overhead, and place grates on top for a dwarven sauna. Make sure it's outside, and after your dwarves are cave adapted so you can enjoy the steaming piles of vomit from the resultant pukefest.
Engraved on the wall is a masterfully designed image of elves. The elves are weeping.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2009, 05:33:06 pm »

Oh, and remember, uranium will really only be good for reactors.  For a hippie bomb, you'll need two pieces of critical-mass plutonium, which can be found as a byproduct of nuclear reactors.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2009, 05:44:07 pm »

Oh, and remember, uranium will really only be good for reactors.  For a hippie bomb, you'll need two pieces of critical-mass plutonium, which can be found as a byproduct of nuclear reactors.
That's why I'm building the reactor FIRST... also, it gives Toady some time to improve the Thermonuclear Armageddon Arc.
Never pet a burning dog.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2009, 05:46:13 pm »

I think I just saw the Hippies get blamed for nukes.  Something's wrong, but I'm not sure what.
Sigged

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2009, 07:04:26 pm »

Place a magma-dipped iron or steel bin containing lignite blocks into the very middle, divert mississippi-sized river into said core, build cooling tower overhead, and place grates on top for a dwarven sauna. Make sure it's outside, and after your dwarves are cave adapted so you can enjoy the steaming piles of vomit from the resultant pukefest.
This is a good idea.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2009, 05:24:35 pm »

... dammit, I wish I had thought of this before you!!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2009, 06:56:31 pm »

Is it possible to mod Elven Diplomats into UN Weapons Inspectors?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2009, 08:26:50 pm »

Is it possible to mod Elven Diplomats into UN Weapons Inspectors?
Yes . . . by modding all the woods to have extremely low boiling points.  Nuclear winter with each tree chopped.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2009, 08:28:59 pm »

When they appear on the edge of the map: *froosh*

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2009, 11:15:03 pm »

Maybe mod in smelter reactions to refine out the uranium and make it produce heat when gathered in large quantities?

You'll definetly need lead bins to store it in.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2009, 12:32:35 am »

I want mutations... I even have plenty pitchblende! I have rooms of pitchblende!
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4