Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 363615 times)

¿

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 10:22:49 pm »

Ooh! let's turn this around...

Who here can give a reasoning with 'sound' proof that higher beings (Other than whales and birds) exist?
And where can we give such that they don't?

33 posts... the OP hasn't been around long enough to know there is no answer to this topic and related.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 10:24:46 pm »

What would you hope to achieve with this discussion?
Such discussions have cause much strife throughout history, if it doesn't have any value to you then I suggest that you avoid the issue...

*POOF*

I'd argue that atheism should be treated as a religon (protected under law, but with the same restrictions as a religon, with a tendency towards inaction if possible).

You can't offer proof that God exists. Although, I got a fourtune cookie that read 'you will soon wittness a miracle.' it had a couple of my normal favorite numbers too. Even if I witness my miracle, it's perfectly possible it came as a result of my own work, luck, or the placeebo effect of my expecting a miracle.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2009, 10:38:41 pm »

I'd argue that atheism should be treated as a religon (protected under law, but with the same restrictions as a religon, with a tendency towards inaction if possible).
Agree, but legally only.  Atheism in itself is non-religious.  You can't have a religion without belief.
Everything is so perfect, there's a reason for everything and there are so many "coincidences", how's that? How did everything start?
Nothing is perfect.  Why do innocent people suffer to warlords?  Why do Humans have an appendix?  If we were created in "His" image, why are we all different?  Why are we all not perfect?

Nobody knows the answer to how everything started.  Many believe that there was one spark that started it all ("The big bang", God's creation) but I ask you... why did there have to be?  The big bang could so arguably be explained by two celestial super bodies slamming into each other.  There's no proof or evidence that it all started as a tiny dot that exploded one day.  If there were a god as most religions describe it, the world would be a fair place.  God would be able to see all and hear all, "free will" would be impossible to omnipotence unless such omnipotent being wasn't truly all powerful.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 10:41:06 pm »

But, can not an all powerful being put limits on his own power? Like the demon in Xanth?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 10:43:33 pm »

If there were a god as most religions describe it, the world would be a fair place.  God would be able to see all and hear all, "free will" would be impossible to omnipotence unless such omnipotent being wasn't truly all powerful.

Congratulations.  You are the first person in history to come up with this argument.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

¿

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 10:44:05 pm »

But, can not an all powerful being put limits on his own power? Like the demon in Xanth?
And then "Why"? And then "Why not"? And then "Fuck this I'm going for a drink".

If there were a god as most religions describe it, the world would be a fair place.  God would be able to see all and hear all, "free will" would be impossible to omnipotence unless such omnipotent being wasn't truly all powerful.

Congratulations.  You are the first person in history to come up with this argument.

A "God" only really has to transcend space-time, which it is inevitable that an intelligence eventually do so, and he could call himself as omnipotent as he likes.

Congratulations. You are the first person in history to come up with sarcasm.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 10:48:38 pm by ¿ »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2009, 10:46:54 pm »

I'd contend that human's can't see the scope that our all-powerful being could. Just like my cats might not realize that my throwing them bodily from the room might be good, so they don't step in dark purple paint.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2009, 10:51:12 pm »

I'd contend that human's can't see the scope that our all-powerful being could. Just like my cats might not realize that my throwing them bodily from the room might be good, so they don't step in dark purple paint.
Then how can you place your faith and your life in the grips of something you can't understand the motives of?  Or do you contend that we are simply pets of "God"?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2009, 10:52:19 pm »

transcend space-time

What the fuck does that even mean? That's not an argument, that's treknobabble. ::)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2009, 10:53:32 pm »

That's my contention. Relatively speaking, we're God's fish.
I loved my fish very much. Except for one. I also did things to them they didn't like, but for their own good.
How can God not be like that?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2009, 10:54:31 pm »

transcend space-time

What the fuck does that even mean? That's not an argument, that's treknobabble. ::)
He's stating that any omnipotent being created time, and space.  They should have total control over it and be able to predict what will happen next.  If I were truly omnipotent and I wrote a math formula on the wall, I'd know the answer to it before I even wrote it.  "God", if such thing existed, would already know what will happen to the world before it was created.

Edit: and if I were omnipotent, I wouldn't have spelled "what" wrong.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 10:57:11 pm by Andir »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2009, 10:55:55 pm »

That's my contention. Relatively speaking, we're God's fish.
I loved my fish very much. Except for one. I also did things to them they didn't like, but for their own good.
How can God not be like that?
You didn't create your fish.  You didn't give your fish their attitudes, feelings, and actions.  If you did, you'd know what they would do in any situation as you wrote the formula for them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 370