Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 363628 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #1710 on: September 25, 2009, 12:03:39 am »

I thought you were on the Religion side, your last series of posts though have been Artful Dodgery at it's finest.

Pjoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: September 25, 2009, 05:08:53 am »

I thought you were on the Religion side, your last series of posts though have been Artful Dodgery at it's finest.
Yeah well, I was on religion side in the sense that I do not agree certain theological and philosophical questions that do not have definite answers can have better or worse beliefs, because you cannot have concrete evidence of them, but they both can be supported by other beliefs and intuitive thinking, but the truth value of every belief and philosophical thought that support the belief is only related on how person sees the reality, and thus you cannot objectively rank beliefs as from likely to less likely, or good and bad.
But yeah, that is just how I see it...

Again, theories that are fallible, can be empirically tested and are based on rational thought are not beliefs, they are closest thing to real knowledge we can get about this universe.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: September 25, 2009, 06:01:58 am »

Beliefs do not support anything, nor does intuitive thought. Only evidence can support an idea.
!!&!!

Pjoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: September 25, 2009, 06:17:10 am »

Beliefs do not support anything, nor does intuitive thought. Only evidence can support an idea.
They support beliefs. Just like intuitive thought and evidence does. Only evidence supports objective information and theories.

I believe supernatural doesn't exist, so I believe God doesn't exist(ok, both negatives, but they are still not something I know for sure). I don't believe supernatural exists, because I believe causality does, and I believe that if there is cause, it's really not supernatural. And so on. That way one of my belief supports another belief of mine, and basically it keeps going like that until it ends to something where alternatives do not make sense.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: September 25, 2009, 06:22:01 am »

I think we're operating under two different definitions of the word 'Support'.
!!&!!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: September 25, 2009, 08:29:34 am »

LOL, I actually read some of the arguments in the past few pages. It's a bit funny that some of you were (are?) fighting over something when both were trying to say the same thing :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: September 25, 2009, 09:12:25 am »

No-one is actually sure what Pjon is trying to say, so it's not all that surprising.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: September 25, 2009, 09:26:38 am »

Pjoo was trying to say something like:
-He believes there is no god
-The universe without god is highly unlikely
-We can't know anything for sure, therefore believing in unsupported claims is rational

Pjoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: September 25, 2009, 09:38:38 am »

Pjoo was trying to say something like:
-He believes there is no god
-The universe without god is highly unlikely
-We can't know anything for sure, therefore believing in unsupported claims is rational

1) True
2) Not true, I specified without infinite universe or creator,( and after discussion, I have to specify that laws of the universe vary, etc.) life is highly unlikely, so creator makes sense assuming you believe universe isn't infinite. But it's just an example, if you wanna keep arguing about this, change it to first cause, atleast there my argument wont get owned by foam-monsters.
3) Not what I was saying, I said there are certain arguments that do not have definite answers, and believing the answer to be something is not necessarily irrational, but stating it as truth is.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: September 25, 2009, 09:41:45 am »

My take on it is that Pjoo is saying that they oppose religion but that it is impossible to dismiss it.

I am currently trying to argue that it is possible to dismiss religion due to a combination of redundancy and inconsistencies...

But half the time I don't even bother checking who I am replying to...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: September 25, 2009, 09:43:33 am »

Of course it's possible to dismiss us.

But you can't get rid of us. ;)
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: September 25, 2009, 09:49:34 am »

I don't care if Pjoo agrees with me on anything if his reasons for agreeing with me are irrational.
!!&!!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: September 25, 2009, 10:09:07 am »

I'm just highly allergic to magical thinking (outside of RPGs), this includes unsupported healing systems that are based on circle reasoning or anthropomorphicly inherited properties (such as tigerpenisses for virillity or barley protein for shiney hair.).

What I do believe in (tantatively) is that animals are aware and emotionally active. Their level of reasoning varies.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: September 25, 2009, 10:33:36 am »

Well, I thought that you guys did with Pjoo was funny, because he started rambling, then someone else started rambling after replying to the ramble, and it ended up into a funny argument about statistics, universes, and mold in socks XD

Quote from: Person A
Y can only be true if X1 and X2 and X3 and ...  is true. But then X1 can be true, and X4 is interesting, and facts point out that X2 is true. But not all of them can be true, so Y is not true, unless X3 is also true and ....

Quote from: Person B
I disagree with Y. X1 is illogical. [Explains why]

But X1 is true. Theorem Z1 proves it!

*sigh* Z1 doesn't makes sense when applied to X1. You've got it wrong. Here's an example, using E1. Let's say E1 is like this, it shows that X1 doesn't make any sense.

But it is true! E1 doesn't make any sense! E1 doesn't even have anything to do with Y. Ok, but it also doesn't apply to X2 and X3.

X2 and X3 are too complicated for both of us to understand. What do they have to do with Y anyway?

And in trying too hard to discredit each other, both sides don't even realize that they're both trying to point out that Y can't be true :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: September 25, 2009, 12:04:51 pm »

I'm not really sure which way Pjoo is pushing either.  It's something along the lines of "I believe there's no God but if you say there's no God I will jump on you".
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 370