Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 364220 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #1815 on: October 15, 2009, 12:59:43 am »

"To say that gods cannot be known without a thorough evaluation of the question is simply ignorance... "
You can deliberately make unanswerable questions. 5 diffrent almost unproveable assumptions are a good start.

Those are not my problem, this thread is dedicated to converting atheists.
Therefore I offer my thoughts for dissection.

With very deeply thought out ideas, I have broken my thoughts on god into:
either A:god does not exist(which I deem most likely) or B: god does not matter.

If god exists, he does nothing of which I can find through my own eyes or ears traceable to him. If god has no effect on this earth, why should I believe?

If god doesn't exist, then why should I believe?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: October 15, 2009, 01:33:55 am »

I find that the Idea of disproving god is as easy as the Idea of proving god. Therefore, I'll keep to the partial judgement on all of it.

Of course, I'm heavily influenced by russel's teapot and the "dragon in my garage"
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 01:44:16 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: October 15, 2009, 01:36:59 am »

Why haven't they? I'd think that someone would have reported this by now.

The thread for the most part hasn't been offensive, though, except for a few scuffles. My only real problem with it is that it's freaking circular. This thread has so thoroughly run its course that there's nothing new to say.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: October 15, 2009, 02:04:23 am »

I like this thread because it sucks in all the religious arguments. It's like one of those derail threads, except that this one is specifically catered for religious fights.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: October 15, 2009, 06:40:42 am »

It's a religious black hole that sucks in all nearby threads and crushes them into an unrecognisable pulp.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: October 15, 2009, 07:40:28 am »

I suspect this thread does a pretty good job of keeping most the relevant conversation in a single thread.  This is testable.  Just lock the thread and see if we end up with a dozen active threads in its place.

Anyway, if you want it locked in hope that people shut the hell up about such things, I fear you'll be sorely disappointed with the results.  God and organized religion and so forth are awfully interesting (important, even) to an awful lot of people.  This thread's not to blame.

I would, however, support locking this one if the length stresses the server (bandwidth-wise I'd assume).  I think that's why the old Future of the Fortress thread(s) (how many have there been?) were occasionally "refreshed."  The current one's easily the largest thread I've ever seen (read:  I probably haven't visited enough forums) though, so I doubt that's a problem since the forum software was changed/updated.  In that case, there's no good reason to lock it.  It obviously bothers you, but you should at least try to ignore it, even if it makes your ass twitch.  It definitely serves its purpose here, nefarious as that may be.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: October 15, 2009, 07:43:44 am »

A good reason. The topics are used up, the arguments are no longer fun, and now it's just become a shithole so that someone can post a hitler picture there, and get cheap laughs from the fact that they ressurrected a really annoying thread.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: October 15, 2009, 07:46:57 am »

My main problem with this thread is, as I said before, it goes back to the beginning of the argument multiple times, mostly because it's gigantor. I have no problem with discussing these things, because they are interesting, but when the discussion gets cyclical as this has, it's really too much.

Well, fair enough. I really have no say in whether or not this thread should be locked, only three people ever do: the OP, Toady, and Threetoe.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: October 15, 2009, 09:36:16 am »

Yes, but it does appear that the OP has ceased posting a long time ago, and I doubt s/he is coming back, especially to this thread. Looking at the OP's last post in this thread, s/he seemed slightly distressed at the direction the thread went, and I suspect that may have something to do with it.

If it is the case that the OP is gone, then, as you said, Toady and ThreeToe are the ones to pass judgment on this thread. While I feel most of the overt rage has been mitigated, I feel that the sharp divisions that this sort of thing generates warrant it closed and moved off the front page of GD for the good of the community.
!!&!!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: October 15, 2009, 02:49:47 pm »

Is there really a point to ask every five posts for this thread to be locked, or ask oneself why the thread hasn't been locked yet, or reflect on the uselessness on the thread, or try to derail it with random pictures? Threads just sit there, really. I mean, maybe it would be cool if we could stop getting it in the "show new replies" page, but that's really a lame reason to ask for a thread to be locked. I no longer post in a few threads and I'm not constantly asking for them to be locked so that they don't clutter my "new replies" page.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: October 15, 2009, 04:01:41 pm »

Really?  People just want the new replies to go away?  Gosh, it's like Vester and Ampersand's latest posts on this thread don't even exist.

Oh wait, they do.  Yeah, there are more reasons to lock this aside from the "it's cluttering up my recent replies thingy."

P.S.  Nvim, is it your purpose to irritate me?  It's like every time I see a post from you, you're making a silly argument against whatever I'm saying (ex: just saying I'm wrong without providing any argument as to how I'm wrong), or bumping some old, stupid, provacative argument that I had at one point tried so hard to cool down.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 04:06:37 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: October 15, 2009, 07:42:00 pm »

Oh wait, they do.  Yeah, there are more reasons to lock this aside from the "it's cluttering up my recent replies thingy."

I don't see how. Every reason boils down to "I don't want to read it" or "you guys stop talking about X". Or "your thread is boring therefore everybody cut it out". "Go away thread", "someone lock the thread please?", "is this thing still here?" "why is this still going on?".

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: October 15, 2009, 08:26:55 pm »

I don't see how. Every reason boils down to "I don't want to read it" or "you guys stop talking about X". Or "your thread is boring therefore everybody cut it out". "Go away thread", "someone lock the thread please?", "is this thing still here?" "why is this still going on?".

While I feel most of the overt rage has been mitigated, I feel that the sharp divisions that this sort of thing generates warrant it closed and moved off the front page of GD for the good of the community.
Among other things.
And, I might add, the cyclical nature of the thread Vester mentioned is even more reason to lock it when you consider the fact that most of the times it fell back on its worse parts of the cycle, the same people were involved almost every time, either saying the same thing they did before or being ignored when they said something new.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 08:31:42 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1828 on: October 16, 2009, 03:14:51 am »

I've removed the Hitlers, some posts related to the Hitlers, some nonsense crap, and maybe a few posts around those by mistake.  Warnings for the Hitlers.  If you don't like a thread, that's fine.  Report it to the moderator if there's actually a problem.  Spamming it with Hitler is not good, and in fact, I'm not going to lock the thread at this time.  There have always been religion/philosophy threads, and circular threads, and I can either ban them or not.  So far I'm keeping them.  For the most part, I think this one has been kind of okay.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: October 16, 2009, 03:21:35 am »

"He's sooo logical..." *sighs dreamily*
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 370