Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 365459 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #540 on: May 14, 2009, 07:51:54 pm »

See there, Mr.Wiggles? You sounded just like a fundamentalist preacher there.

Mr. Wiggles: See that the thing that THING... the environment!

Audience: *screams with joy*

Mr. Wiggles: Now wait a minute... that lets beliefs with lack o' evidence allows... for the beliefs with lack 'o evidence to go on!... Praise the Lord!

Audience: *sound of 6000 people screaming 'yeaaah!'*

I'm telling ya, there isn't much difference between a militant fundamentalist and a militant atheist caricature....

FTFY. :P

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 14, 2009, 08:15:09 pm »

MrWiggles: True believer!!!

*audience screams en mass*

MrWiggles: Nah hold on, hold on... on either end can't be swayed easily. Fantastic, you realize that, most don't hold a funda-mental level of belief... Sorta of cynical to think that.

*crowd boos*

Nah hold on! Sorta cynical !....Sorta cynical to think that any!... atheist!... speaking in the atheist thread, where they were invited to speak, is militant! Devil be DAMNED!

*Crowd roars*

MrWiggles: However, I hate this idea that everyone's mind is already made up from, what it SEEEEEMS like from birth and no one....

*crowd erupts in noise*...

...NO one NOBODY!....has ever, has never EVER! had their mind changed on anything!

*Praise the LORD!*

MrWiggles: I mean, not only is it wrong....

*Crowd erupts in noise*

Not only is it wrong.... But what sorta light does this place human in?

*Crowd screams*

...Not a terribly positive one. For Fuck sakes man!...

...have some self respect for your own genius! HALLELUJAH! PRAISE THE LORD!

*Crowd goes insane*

Sorry man, you have the dialogue of a preacher and shit.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 14, 2009, 09:39:13 pm »

So you're basically saying that because he disagrees with the fact that on one side, our society is perfectly okay with fermently believing in something with total lack of evidence (religion), while on the other side we wouldn't possibly believe anything without scientific proof - he is as 'bad' as a preacher?
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 14, 2009, 09:44:36 pm »

I'm pretty sure that was just a troll post.  He wants Toady to lock the thread.  Thread gets locked, discussion ends, Guy Montag gets his way.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 14, 2009, 10:20:01 pm »

Also, Guy Montag, you do know that you can disable notifications by simply clicking on the 'notify' button again, right? ::)
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 14, 2009, 10:31:36 pm »

Well toady shouldn't lock the thread, that would be rewarding and encouraging the troll like behavior. The troll should be censored to for trolling.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 14, 2009, 10:47:12 pm »

I'd rather avoid administrative intervention.  I'm just calling Guy's shenanigans (and now I'll add "Cut it out!").  Raz offered a solution.  Leave it at that.

[/derail]

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 15, 2009, 12:03:52 am »

I'd rather you guys be civil about it. Troll all you like, but don't bring Toady into this. I want Toady to finish DF, so stop fighting :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 15, 2009, 02:42:23 am »

Tons of textwalls here.
YAY!

I mistakenly posted here and it keeps popping up on my "new replies to posts" shit.
You have my condolences, but I think that it is an overreaction to shut down a thread to remove a single item from your replies list. But if you are willing to go through this entire thread making an honest summary of all the points then I am willing to start a new thread that you can avoid with a nice summary page to start it...
Anyways. The entire argument here is invalid.

Atheists cannot prove "god" exisits, and theists cannot prove "god" exisits.

You are basically arguing about nothing.
That is one position, but some people disagree with it and you don't seem to have any supporting arguments. If you demonstrate specifically why there is no mechanism by which conclusions can be made on the topic then I would welcome the input, but if you don't, then I expect that your position won't be respected by the conversation...
There are parts of physics and qualities of the universe science cannot measure or understand. If you cannot measure it, it is NOT science. Quantum physics is like that. You have particles that EXIST and DO NOT EXIST all at the SAME TIME.
Hmmm, time is constant, existence is not... I have no problem with paradoxes, I kind of like to think that they are out there, and they certainly exist in artificial settings. But depending upon your definition that may not even be a paradox, it is all a matter of perspective, which can be changed easily without progressing time.

If you can't measure something, then you make a prediction about its influence upon something that you CAN measure and measure that...

Statement: god does not exist.
Hypothesis: god would not act or possess any presence beyond that created by humans.
Experiments: study two numerically significant groups of people, ensure there is no religious bias between either group. Collect a significant number of people, have them request god's intersession in the health of one group, ensure that they are ignorant of the other group. Compare health information of the two groups, if there is significant deviation between the groups then there is evidence, far from conclusive evidence, but evidence none the less for god, otherwise there is evidence that supports the theory that god does not exist, there are other theories that it would also support, but those need to be tested independently...

Experiment: Compare something of divine significance, an artefact from the religion you are testing for example. Construct an otherwise identical item that has no divine significance. Compare the two items. If an item with the same material components in the same state cannot be discerned from a divine item then it suggests that there is no divine presence in the world.

Statement: god created the world as an amusement, god considers all of our existence to be abstract, god does not consider anything to have rights, inherent worth, justification, or, in short, any reason to be respected at all...

Hypothesis: the world exists to provide experiences to a being that can create worlds, much as humans can imagine scenarios, and computers can model scenarios. There would be records, experiences would be exaggerations of topics that would be of interest to an entity that can create such a world. Records would be reviewed, experiences would focus on limitations, lack of knowledge, struggles, and interactions between entities.

Experiment: Take a focus of activity, a human for example, seal it in a room with stimuli that are not known by the testers. Take a second object, one that does not experience significant activity, a tree for example, seal it in an otherwise identical room. If the testers can derive more information from something that is more interesting then it stands to reason that god is more interested in activity than life.
Then observe the focus of activity and look for signs of it being harvested...

Experiment: Take two people, motivate one to create, ensure that the other is not. If the one that is motivated to create struggles more than the other than it suggests that creation is fundamentally opposed by the world, which would imply that any entity that controls it is pursuing curiosity of an environment in which creation is limited than it is in the happiness of the entities within it...

Of course there are multiple ways to interpret the results, but it is about building up evidence to support a theory, if you think your theory is better, than find more evidence for it. People seem to be opposing this on principal...
If you cannot even measure and define your own universe, how could you possibly understand or measure an intelligence that not only understands everything you know, and do not know, but actually created that?

If there is a "god" it is something immeasurably vast and its nature is unknowable to humans. Maybe "god" is just beyond mankind's abililty to measure or comprehend.
Oceans are vast beyond my experience, and the state of their existence is completely alien to my own, that does not stop me from understanding them. People do not WANT to understand god, and so they pretend that it is beyond them, and that is good, because without god many people would despair, and many do. But people then give god authority, and direction, and suddenly god is justifying people, even when they are unable to justify themselves, and commanding people toward ends that they would not otherwise accept.
You can buy a hardwood table, and know everything about it. The material it is made from, the dimensions of it, the plastic coating over it, the tarnish on the wood's surface, but you will never really know WHO make it.

Thats beyond our grasp.
I may never find out who made it, but I can find out how to make tables, and understand the thoughts that go into it, I can even get to know people who do. But to be fair to the metaphor, I cannot make tables, and I cannot meet tablemakers, but I can study the table and discern how it was put together, and guess as to why it was done that way.
I guess. Believe whatever you want, it will not matter in the end.
Do you have any evidence to suggest that there will actually be an end?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We are not here to discuss politics, don't look at this...
Not on topic, move along please...

Its sophomoric just because the height of its dicussion has been acheived by just about everyone. Yeah, it was a big deal, the argument between Atheism and Theism back in the ole daye's O' Yore. But look. It ain't the olde dayes o' yore anymore.
It never was the "ole daye's  O' Yore", it has always been topical and there has always been room for new insights. Religion is considered by many to be a personal choice. Doesn't everyone deserve a chance to seek the truth for themselves?
Yeah it is kinda silly people believe in strange things, but you will be hard-pressed to convince that guy his "lucky rabbit's foot" isn't lucky. You could drone on and on about how its just a peice of dead animal on his keychain and it can't effect anything, he will cite 500 things he swears his lucky rabbit's foot is responsible for.
Take the foot, produce an imitation, give one to a third party for one day, then give the other for a different day, have the guy record all instances of luck over the two days, then inform them of which day it was the lucky foot and which day it was an imitation. It IS possible to derive evidence to support or oppose the theory, you just need to provide something more convincing than their 500 anecdotes...
Of course, they may be happier with their good luck charm than without it. And just because the idea of something attracting luck energy or something similar seems like nonsense doesn't make it impossible. But there is a very real danger of bunny mutilations that would be best avoided...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 15, 2009, 04:13:41 am »

Or they spend money on Cures transmitted through sound instead of seeing a doctor. As he heard this when he needed something be cured because he was holding his lucky foot. Therefore it was luck that he happen to in front of the transmitting media when that commercial aired. Or something as equally weak.

But beyond that, fantastic experiments. The Templeton Foundation has down as least one of those.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 22, 2009, 07:42:00 am »

I realise that this is a thread about atheism, and not about any specific religion, but it kind of bugs me when people claim to be christians while serving a country. I got the impression that the christian god wasn't meant to be particularly tolerant of people serving any other entities...

To try to get this back on topic, I find a lack of internal consistency, or a failure to be bound by the rules it expects of its subjects, to be a real turn off in a religion...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 22, 2009, 09:29:47 am »

Why won't you people let this thread return to the foul depths from whence it came.
!!&!!

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 22, 2009, 10:15:52 am »

Why won't you people let this thread return to the foul depths from whence it came.
Because trolling is good for the blood.

Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 22, 2009, 07:50:25 pm »

Why won't you bigots just let this thread die?

Oh, sorry, do you not like being called that?  Too bad.  Holding a negative opinion of another based on something such as race, gender, or beliefs can makeyou a bigot.  Arguments in attempt to make people abandon their beliefs because you don't like them is essentially bigotry.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 07:57:20 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 22, 2009, 08:00:13 pm »

According to that definition, All politicians are bigots. All evangelists are bigots. All Missionaries are bigots. All priests are bigots.
!!&!!
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 370