Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 364358 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #5490 on: November 03, 2010, 11:28:27 am »

That's a good density :)

To make things even more difficult for you: Isn't conservation of information breached when you can get two initial states to produce the same result state in a determistic system? It completely depends on the rules you use, whether a state can have multiple previous states. There's probably even names for them. But there can be only one result state, that's kind of the definition of deterministic, isn't it?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: November 03, 2010, 11:39:08 am »

Citation needed.

"During his many years, working for Bloggs & Sons, Jeremy has been a stalwart fixture in the accounts department, as well as treasurer of the Christmas Club.  A valued member of the firm's 5-A-Side football team, championship-winning darts player in the Bigbury And District Corporate Enterprises Darts League and regularly running marathons wearing the company's mascot costume... which he thankfully also arranges the dry cleaning for <pause for laughter>.... I think we are all aware of the contribution he has made to this traditional family firm, much apart from being a loving husband and father to my darling daughter, Poppy and grandchildren Michael, Rufus, Anthony, Fiona, Anabell, the twins Peter and Jacky, little Clöe and not forgetting their adopted children Lin-You, François, Petra, Meredith and Hank.  So, it is my greatest honour to present him with this token of esteem, a magnificent gold-plated ..."

...what?  Not that kind of citation?
What a pal. There's no way I'm running marathons if I'm old enough to have grandchildren.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5492 on: November 03, 2010, 11:49:58 am »

There's no talk of atheism here. I know we've 'discussed' just about everything, but it's kinda.. odd having a derailed religion thread.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: November 03, 2010, 11:55:17 am »

It'll rerail again, inevitably. It has done so for aeons, and will for ages to come.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: November 03, 2010, 11:57:18 am »

It's re-railed already!

It's an atheist thread that talks about stuff that ... is not religion!  How much more on topic can you be?  Off-topic would be talking about that which we reject.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: November 03, 2010, 12:28:33 pm »

Not from the point of view of the OP, who argued against Atheism.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: November 03, 2010, 12:49:19 pm »

It's a theory.  Which hasn't really worked for me for philosophical reasons. 

Aw, I thought you were above falling into that trap.  It doesn't matter whether it agrees with your philosophy or not, QM is very, very good at what it does.  Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is confirmed, so are the quantized orbitals of electrons in atoms.  Quantum Mechanics may be so unintuitive that they say that if you think you understand it you don't, but its predictions have been so astonishingly accurate that even the physicists who were dead set against the idea all had to admit it was real, no matter how badly they wanted the universe to be deterministic.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5497 on: November 03, 2010, 04:28:58 pm »

Like the number 42! :) )
heh. :D the universal seed number.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5498 on: November 03, 2010, 05:24:46 pm »

Aw, I thought you were above falling into that trap.  It doesn't matter whether it agrees with your philosophy or not, QM is very, very good at what it does.  Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is confirmed, so are the quantized orbitals of electrons in atoms.  Quantum Mechanics may be so unintuitive that they say that if you think you understand it you don't, but its predictions have been so astonishingly accurate that even the physicists who were dead set against the idea all had to admit it was real, no matter how badly they wanted the universe to be deterministic.

Still, he is right in that the "hidden variable" theory is viable. It just might still be deterministic. There's no evidence for it, but that's why he calls it a philosophy :)

And well, I kind of lean that way as well. The thing is, with everything I learned of Physics, every single topic clicks into place in my mind (eventually  ::)). Except QM. That one, as you pointed out, fails to click in most people. As most physics does, and this one single theory (set of theories) doesn't, it's the odd one out, and it's the only one (or maybe just the first one) that's counter-intuitive.

Or we have just reached the maximum of our understanding, and our brains are incapable of completely grasping anything deeper than this.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: November 03, 2010, 05:29:09 pm »

it's the odd one out, and it's the only one (or maybe just the first one) that's counter-intuitive.
Earth is round.

Or we have just reached the maximum of our understanding, and our brains are incapable of completely grasping anything deeper than this.
Yeah, I'm inclined to think that too. After all, nobody said we will ever be able to understand it(i.e.the world) completely.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5500 on: November 03, 2010, 05:33:17 pm »

it's the odd one out, and it's the only one (or maybe just the first one) that's counter-intuitive.
Earth is round.
Touche. And you have a point, is our paradigm so deterministic that something completely-yet-not random throws us off so much?
What makes QM so difficult to understand? Is it because (like the round earth) it's just our paradigms that need shifting?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: November 03, 2010, 05:36:32 pm »

Yeah, I'm inclined to think that too. After all, nobody said we will ever be able to understand it(i.e.the world) completely.

Pff.  That's what computers and strong AI are for.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: November 03, 2010, 05:37:22 pm »

Earth is round.
Touche. And you have a point, is our paradigm so deterministic that something completely-yet-not random throws us off so much?
What makes QM so difficult to understand? Is it because (like the round earth) it's just our paradigms that need shifting?

That one's actually pretty intuitive, depending on where you live, but I suppose it might count.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: November 03, 2010, 05:41:01 pm »

Well, there's no reason why small stuff needs to behave like big stuff.  Really, we only find QM strange because we live (and were evolved to live) on the scale we do.  We have a fairly intuitive knowledge of what happens on this scale, which breaks down once you start increasing (general relativity) or decreasing (quantum mechanics) it a lot.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: November 03, 2010, 05:44:32 pm »

Pff.  That's what computers and strong AI are for.
There's not a computer powerful enough to figure out why I was stuck in non-moving traffic today.  Sometimes I have a hard time comprehending why people feel the need to slow down and look at an accident causing miles of rubber band braking.  If only I had the omnipotent power to whip those people into the sun...
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 370