Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 363226 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #5505 on: November 03, 2010, 05:51:01 pm »

Well, there's no reason why small stuff needs to behave like big stuff.  Really, we only find QM strange because we live (and were evolved to live) on the scale we do. 
The "round earth" example fits that, because on a small (human) scale the earth seems flat, and you need to be able to "get" something bigger to "get" the round earth. Nowadays most people "get" that the earth is round and how come we don't fall off. Does this mean that we're on the verge of understanding QM? That it's merely a matter of time and education until we are able to see the bigger (smaller :) ) picture?

But even now, the greatest minds of our age struggle with QM. I think we've got a long way to go.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5506 on: November 03, 2010, 08:45:59 pm »

I'd say 50 years after they get the basics down pat, whether that's in the past of in the future.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5507 on: November 04, 2010, 07:09:02 am »

When it comes to Round Earth and QM equivalences, I see it quite a bit like that people could see that it looked round, if they were sailors[1] or had other advantageous positions[2].  But without the knowledge of gravity or some other form of "Earth sucks!" theory, there just wasn't the means to justify in the face of the 'authority' that says the whole place is flat and might not look too kindly on anyone making a big noise about it being otherwise.

(As an aside, a bit of an analogy, A long time ago, I was in a role-playing game where our group were asked by the local NPC king-type person to, for his entertainment, argue something obviously preposterous: i.e. that the world wasn't flat, but curved...  Taking the challenge with relish (it was my University's role-playing society, we were all essentially geeky in one way or another), we managed to put forward a convincing argument that it was curved... upwards, i.e. we're inside a sphere...  even explaining the horizon-effect.  Chuck enough words at it (the irony of my stating that is not lost on me!) and an argument can be made for almost anything.  Words alone don't make it true.)

But I depart a little bit.  I've no problem with QM being a good description of the world.  Much as pre-QM ideas were a good description of the world until we started to look a lot closer at things.  Waves as superposition of particles, etc, is indeed strange to our macroscopic selves, but I've got no problem with that as a "Lies To Children"[4] intermediate explanation.  The fact that QM has an apparent "spooky action at a distance" that doesn't mesh with relativity's requirement that information not exceed the speed of light[3] means that there are obvious problems with each theory within the others' realm.  As and when something arises (or develops and comes to dominate, out of the current crop of hopefuls) that encompasses all these things, then the majority of scientists who work at that level will formally deal with QM and Relativity as the Lies To Children explanations for something that they have a better explanation of, but which is beyond most people's understanding/need-to-know/willingness-to-understand.

So I'll happily (well, without undue complaint, except that I'm probably a bit rusty with it) work with the maths needed to describe superimposed states, etc, etc.  It works (FCVO...) but I just 'feel' (as close to any faith position I have) that this is an abstraction on what is really happening.

And I subscribe to the idea that's highly related to Gödel's first incompleteness theorem, insofar as at some level we will no longer have the power within our own universe to provably describe the exact nature of our own universe.  We already have Planck-limit obfuscation of the exact details and workings of the quantum (/sub-quantum?) world, which might well be the actual Gödel-limit of our universe-system, or just a precursor symptom of it if we do get the equivalent of Star Trek's "Heisenburg Compensators" at any point in our future scientific endeavours.

Which is all far too speculative, I know.  (And if I actually am right, I could never even prove I'm I'm right, thanks to that which Gödel describes...  Right? :) )

So, I take QM as a good explanation.  I'm not by any means saying that I don't believe it's that complicated and that its all Newtonian down there.  It's probably far more hard to understand[6].  Ditto I'm happy with the current understanding of the macroscopic Relativity (although I may have some unconventional ideas about black holes, they are just 'ideas', anyway, not something I'd say must be true...) and happy to work with roots of v-squared over c-squared, etc, if F=ma and all derived formulae aren't sufficient for a given situation.

Levels upon levels.  Wheels within wheels.  Possibly bunkum upon bunkum, I'll allow... :)

[1] Who could quite clearly see from the rigging that there was an 'over' component to the horizon, that ships happily travel over and back without reporting any problems, and even that the land itself retreated that way when they were going far enough away from it on clear days...

[2] Both geographical and perhaps in society, so they had time to look around, rather than tend fields, blah-de-blah...  But those whose were in top positions but had heads (or the heads of their advisers) that were stuck in books that said how the world was flat would also be excluded.

[3] (Einstein, via Tesla, et al, having also coming up with a theory that explained things (some not yet confirmed!) that previous theories couldn't or wouldn't...

[4] A phrase pinched from Jack Cohen and and Ian Stewart.  Basically it's like explaining electricity as like a flow of liquid (because it's easy to visualise) before you say "actually, it's this tiny particles called electrons" which is less so and requires at least some knowledge about the nature of atoms[5], and then later you learn that it's actually the gaps where electrons aren't that move, and then later on...  YGTI.

[5] Another "Lie To Children": It's the smallest particle.  Well, it isn't, there are Protons and Neutrons at the centre and electrons going round that like planets in a a solar system.  Well, not quite because [there are quarks and shit|the electrons form a cloud|you need to start explaining Quantum anyway]...  etc.  Each level is useful as an abstraction, even to those that know and understand levels below.  As long as they understand the limitations.

[6] Although, being more fundamental and closer to The Truth, probably a lot more simple in and of itself.  Harder to pin down, of course.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #5508 on: November 04, 2010, 07:35:13 am »

Or we have just reached the maximum of our understanding, and our brains are incapable of completely grasping anything deeper than this.
Yeah, I'm inclined to think that too. After all, nobody said we will ever be able to understand it(i.e.the world) completely.

Pff.  That's what computers and strong AI are for.
There's not a computer powerful enough to figure out why I was stuck in non-moving traffic today.  Sometimes I have a hard time comprehending why people feel the need to slow down and look at an accident causing miles of rubber band braking.  If only I had the omnipotent power to whip those people into the sun...
Actually...

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: November 04, 2010, 07:43:44 am »

Or we have just reached the maximum of our understanding, and our brains are incapable of completely grasping anything deeper than this.
Yeah, I'm inclined to think that too. After all, nobody said we will ever be able to understand it(i.e.the world) completely.

Pff.  That's what computers and strong AI are for.
There's not a computer powerful enough to figure out why I was stuck in non-moving traffic today.  Sometimes I have a hard time comprehending why people feel the need to slow down and look at an accident causing miles of rubber band braking.  If only I had the omnipotent power to whip those people into the sun...
Actually...
Yeah, I saw that... this was no phantom though.  There was an accident, and those cars were on the right shoulder of a 4 (8?) lane highway with no lane closures and I was stopping off and on in the left hand lane for about 2 miles.  There was no excuse for it... and this happens quite frequently more and more.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: November 04, 2010, 11:33:36 am »

The solution to phantom jams: Germans.

The whole stop-and-go of a jam is just because of a few impatient people, who drive fast, brake, drive fast, brake, and change lanes a lot.

I once had a jam (with mostly Germans in it) that just moved. Slowly but surely, a huge stream of cars, all moving at exactly the same speed, and having some distance to account for that one a*hole who did change lanes. It was driving as it was supposed to be.

How I long for the day that manually overriding the automatic pilot in your car becomes illegal...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: November 04, 2010, 12:36:14 pm »

How I long for the day that manually overriding the automatic pilot in your car becomes illegal...

Then shouldn't cars with manual overrides be illegal?  If you allow them, then is it because there are times when it's necessary?  If it proves necessary, why is it illegal?  Do you expect the government to have the omnipresence and consistent judgment to fairly determine whether it was necessary every time it's used?  Can I be more of an ass?

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5512 on: November 04, 2010, 12:38:15 pm »

Can I be more of an ass?

ONLY IF YOU BELIEVE IN YOURSELF
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5513 on: November 04, 2010, 12:58:12 pm »

When it comes to Round Earth and QM equivalences, I see it quite a bit like that people could see that it looked round, if they were sailors[1] or had other advantageous positions[2].  But without the knowledge of gravity or some other form of "Earth sucks!" theory, there just wasn't the means to justify in the face of the 'authority' that says the whole place is flat and might not look too kindly on anyone making a big noise about it being otherwise.

[1] Who could quite clearly see from the rigging that there was an 'over' component to the horizon, that ships happily travel over and back without reporting any problems, and even that the land itself retreated that way when they were going far enough away from it on clear days...

[2] Both geographical and perhaps in society, so they had time to look around, rather than tend fields, blah-de-blah...  But those whose were in top positions but had heads (or the heads of their advisers) that were stuck in books that said how the world was flat would also be excluded.
I don't really see how this is an appropriate analogy as, at least among scholars and anyone who lived in a port (and bothered to think about it), the fact that the earth was round has been known for thousands of years (including a very close estimate of the circumference of the Earth). The idea of sailing across the Atlantic to reach China/India (for instance) was considered ridiculous not because it was believed that one would sail off the end of the Earth, but because it was known that Asia was too far away for contemporary ships to reach, since they couldn't carry enough supplies for the journey; it was merely unknown that there was another landmass in between Europe and Asia in that direction. It was rather geocentrism that was widely believed (by the vast majority of scholars and astronomers, as well as religious institutions).
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: November 04, 2010, 01:04:13 pm »

Then shouldn't cars with manual overrides be illegal?  If you allow them, then is it because there are times when it's necessary?  If it proves necessary, why is it illegal?  Do you expect the government to have the omnipresence and consistent judgment to fairly determine whether it was necessary every time it's used?  Can I be more of an ass?
Perhaps, Probably, Exceptions, Eventually and Probably Yes.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5515 on: November 04, 2010, 01:49:17 pm »

Can I be more of an ass?

ONLY IF YOU BELIEVE IN YOURSELF
No, don't believe in yourself.  Believe in me who believes in you!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5516 on: November 05, 2010, 09:28:18 am »

I don't really see how this is an appropriate analogy as, at least among scholars and anyone who lived in a port (and bothered to think about it), the fact that the earth was round has been known for thousands of years (including a very close estimate of the circumference of the Earth). The idea of sailing across the Atlantic to reach China/India (for instance) was considered ridiculous not because it was believed that one would sail off the end of the Earth, but because it was known that Asia was too far away for contemporary ships to reach, since they couldn't carry enough supplies for the journey; it was merely unknown that there was another landmass in between Europe and Asia in that direction. It was rather geocentrism that was widely believed (by the vast majority of scholars and astronomers, as well as religious institutions).
Not a perfect analogy, but flat-earthism had been mentioned in a "So you don't believe in QM?" context, so I ran with it.

TL;DR; - Those who worked at large enough geographic scales dealt with it, but others didn't have to, and there was a (probably ignored by the first group) set of people in 'authority' who just took it as gospel (NPI!) that it was flat and we know that some nay-sayers were inconvenienced for conveying views more closely related to reality.  (And the size of the Earth, as a globe, has been grossly miscalculated over the years, anyway.  In both directions.)

Not really disagreeing with you in any significant way.  I suspect it's just the depth of the interpretation, and some minor issues where I might well be out-of-date on some of the historic understanding.  It's a broad church.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5517 on: December 04, 2010, 01:16:33 am »

Yes, it is back  :P

Saw an interesting story. A kid asked a priest why he knew what God wanted and the priest said "Because he spoke to me". Then it went on to "How do you know he is incomprehensible if he is incomprehensible?". Which I saw as a stalemate.

So what would you guys say if a priest told you that God talked to him?

Ř

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: December 04, 2010, 01:20:26 am »

Jesus Christ (*rimshot*) this thread is huge. TLDR. I think a new thread would have been justified.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5519 on: December 04, 2010, 01:23:54 am »

Saw an interesting story. A kid asked a priest why he knew what God wanted and the priest said "Because he spoke to me". Then it went on to "How do you know he is incomprehensible if he is incomprehensible?". Which I saw as a stalemate.

So what would you guys say if a priest told you that God talked to him?
There is nothing to say for multiple reasons. First and foremost, anecdotal evidence is weak sauce. Second, there is no verification process. If we grant, that yes, something spoke to the priest, we can't confirm what spoke to him. All we could say, is that something that the Priest believed to be God, or was titling itself as God spoke to him.

Jesus Christ (*rimshot*) this thread is huge. TLDR. I think a new thread would have been justified.

There is no real point in reading the back log. Its the same like 15 points back and forth.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370