Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370]

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 359908 times)

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #5535 on: December 04, 2010, 01:45:30 pm »

That german guy with the beans, right?

I redact my earlier statement about religions being scientific theories. However, Shrugging Khan takes an unusually harsh stance on this. I see no way for this to end except a flame war, so I am leaving this thread. 
I take an usually harsh stance on the issue because being lax on issues of such great influence and importance is something all too many people are already guilty of.

Edit: Mendel! I'm 99% sure his name was Mendel!
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: December 04, 2010, 01:48:25 pm »

Shrugging Khan - the internet name of Richard Dawkins.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5537 on: December 04, 2010, 01:53:10 pm »

Ah, the atheist thread! Those with the common sense to see that god does not exist, against those with the common sense to just go along with what their society/madness tells them to believe!

Maybe people enjoy having some incomprehensible father figure in the sky to get there kicks, instead of being dicks on the internet?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: December 04, 2010, 01:53:43 pm »

The atheism thread. I must say that I'm shocked the community has sunk this low, being as intelligent as it is in other areas.

Not believing in the Christian god != nontheism - just look at Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, et al. Being nontheistic != being nonreligious - Buddhism, Confucianism, even nontheistic Christians, Jews, etc.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #5539 on: December 04, 2010, 01:57:13 pm »

Secondly, in response to your last sentence, I shall have to protest most strongly. Religions are merely constructs of make-belief, masturbatory ritual, social pressure, and most of all of a limited understanding of the human mind and the natural world.

Religion is more of a fictional explanatory system than any of those things. At the very closest it's a method for social control.

Am I a troll for speaking these obvious opinions frankly and without reservation?

No, but they sure were opinions and not facts huh!
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5540 on: December 04, 2010, 02:00:50 pm »

And that, children, is a textbook definition of a troll right there. Do not feed it.
Sirrah, you shall take that back lest we come to blows!

Your statement is offensive and baseless, and is callous to the point of deliberate provocation. Hence, you are a troll. And at any rate, religions are valid scientific theories.
It's ironic at the least to refute a supposed troll comment with another troll comment. :) I personally like his statement, (apart from the word madness in there,) and while I don't think that it is entirely accurate, it does succinctly get to the point. People do tend to believe in the 'God' that others in their societies believe in, therefore society pressure does seem to play a part. You don't tend to find many people who grew up in predominantly say Christian societies becoming converts to Hinduism at the age of 14 or 16. If you belong to a predominatly religeous society then you are often expected to conform to those beliefs. Argueing that tihs is not the case seems foolish to me, as it would appear to be so apparent.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: December 04, 2010, 02:05:44 pm »

And that, children, is a textbook definition of a troll right there. Do not feed it.
Sirrah, you shall take that back lest we come to blows!

Your statement is offensive and baseless, and is callous to the point of deliberate provocation. Hence, you are a troll. And at any rate, religions are valid scientific theories.
It's ironic at the least to refute a supposed troll comment with another troll comment. :)

I apologize for any trollishness. However, his comment was offensive.
[/post]

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5542 on: December 04, 2010, 02:08:41 pm »

That's fine. It is the internet after all.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: December 04, 2010, 02:09:39 pm »

Religion is more of a fictional explanatory system than any of those things. At the very closest it's a method for social control.
They're all that and more. I suppose I mentioned the parts of the whole, and you mentioned its purpose.

They're as fact as it gets.

Shrugging Khan - the internet name of Richard Dawkins.
Ah you kidder. Dawkins wouldn't have to guess about Mendel's name.

(apart from the word madness in there,)
Is it not the maddest that usually have the strongest believe in the actual existence of god (and their correspondence with it/him)?

I apologize for any trollishness. However, his comment was offensive.
If offensive is the new name for direct, then so be it!
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #5544 on: December 04, 2010, 02:18:11 pm »

No. Words like masturbatory are judgment words. Limited understanding implies limited scientific understanding, there are other methods of understanding things. Make-believe is an insulting comparison to children's games.

Opinions. Facts aren't nearly so subjective.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5545 on: December 04, 2010, 02:35:07 pm »

No. Words like masturbatory are judgment words. Limited understanding implies limited scientific understanding, there are other methods of understanding things. Make-believe is an insulting comparison to children's games.

Opinions. Facts aren't nearly so subjective.

Don't be silly. This is the Internet, where opinions are facts to those who speak them, and facts are opinions to those who hear them. How else could such a lively atmosphere of "civilized" "debate" "prosper"?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: December 04, 2010, 02:37:21 pm »

Religions are merely constructs of make-belief, masturbatory ritual, social pressure, and most of all of a limited understanding of the human mind and the natural world. Am I a troll for speaking these obvious truths frankly and without reservation?

If what you said was obvious and self evident, then I do not think that religion would survive in an educated modern world. Religious belief is more deep rooted and subtle than this. Almost all societies have formed a ritual belief system, often very independant of each other. Some might say it was a necessary moral evolution stemming from our own mortality. The reasons that we have religion and the animals do not, (as far as we know) could be derived from our knowledge of our own future demise, perhaps evolving as a defense mechanism to combat this. Just one idea about it. Possibly if we discovered immortality, then religious beliefs would wither away.
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370]