Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 359801 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #570 on: May 23, 2009, 12:51:57 am »

WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES YOU WILL ALL BE SITTING ON THE TOILET

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 23, 2009, 01:02:30 am »

With a god damn smile.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 23, 2009, 01:03:29 am »

With a god damn smile.

It's a good way to go.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 23, 2009, 01:03:39 am »

That flashlight does not illuminate the entire room and we are still trying to find the walls.
More then religion ever has. Or god(s). Or someone who just proclaims.

You've built a strawman.
That's what I hate about these. I swear every forum would be at near peace if posts threads with any religion related words were deleted automatically.

Gamble with your lives as you will, I don't care. When I care is when you try to gamble with other people's lives. Leave the fates be or there might well be blood on your hands.

You're right. No one should ever care what any else thinks. No one should try out ideologies or beliefs.

Gosh darn it. We should still have civil inequality, and go back to having two drinking fountains and get the negro out of the office into some overalls with water mellon. And fried chicken. Like mammy would want.

Ideas and beliefs should never challenged.

Ideas and beliefs should remain sacred.

Fuck social progression.

Unless, it can be describe a method to authenticate ideas and beliefs without challenge or how religion should some how be absent from challenge.

Further away from anything directed at individuals, do you think religious and non-religious people on the whole have different personality types?
No, religious and none religious are all over the board in personality archetypes.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 23, 2009, 03:28:49 am »

Why won't you bigots just let this thread die?

Oh, sorry, do you not like being called that?  Too bad.  Holding a negative opinion of another based on something such as race, gender, or beliefs can makeyou a bigot.  Arguments in attempt to make people abandon their beliefs because you don't like them is essentially bigotry.
I believe that this thread is a valuable source of debate. I believe that it is very well behaved considering the subject matter. I believe that the idea that bigotry can be defined as 'an attempt to make people abandon their beliefs because you don't like them' is false.
 Do you argue against my beliefs?

I dislike being called a bigot, but due to my attachment to absolutes, as a relative term it is actually a compliment, given that it basically describes the whole of human society, and as such is equivalent to calling me the greatest entity in existence... Races abuse each other, they always have, sexes are the same, people from different cultures aren't as good, Humans are better than other animals, animals are better than plants, plants are better than bacteria(but only superficially), people have always looked for the different and unfamiliar to explain what is wrong with the world.

If people lost the ability to discriminate then society would collapse. The moment that people stop saying, "product a is better than product B" then all the capitalist ideals are worthless. Just think how much time would be wasted on job interviews would take if people didn't just say, "I like that one". Times where people can just relax around others who share their beliefs without having to worry about insulting anyone are some of the happiest times most humans will experience. Humans wear their bigotry as a badge of honour, they just don't like to admit it...

I argue because I seek the truth, and I believe that a close approximation to it can be achieved. If you feel that your truth is compelling, then please, explain it. If you have no interest in exploring this topic, then why are you posting in this thread?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: May 23, 2009, 03:59:08 am »

Nicely said ram.

Discriminatory action, can't be turn off. Its useful, but it can't be let rampant. Every [edit: corp.] that fires someone because of poor productivity is being discriminatory against laziness or ineptitude.

Not all ideas/beliefs are equal.

Not all ideas/beliefs are correct.

Challenging an idea/belief, isn't challenging the holder of said belief.

You're suppose to be separate from your belief. 

And you don't have the right to be not offended.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 03:13:17 pm by MrWiggles »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 23, 2009, 07:11:35 am »

Holding a negative opinion of another based on something such as race, gender, or beliefs can make you a bigot.

Holding a stupid belief makes you an idiot.
See? I can hurl insults too! ;D

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 23, 2009, 07:34:29 am »

I wouldn't say going against religion makes you a bigot.  You may disagree with my stance on, say, taxes, but it's not like taxes are a sacred discussion (No!  You can't raise taxes!  Blasphemy!).  Religions are all theories for how the world came about, and thus deserves to be treated as them.  If discriminating against someone because of their beliefs makes you a bigot, then anyone who campaigns, votes or stands for election is a bigot.  Anyone who sides with a political party is a bigot.  Anyone who rejects any idea (from slavery, to female "circumcision", to murder) becomes a bigot.

That's why we can debate religion.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 23, 2009, 08:05:39 am »

Precisely. Questioning ideas is not bigotry, Legolord got it completely backwards. Religion attempts to set up certain ideas as sacred, unassailable and unquestionable. But, to play Yoda a bit, reverence leads to faith, which leads to certainty, which leads to ignorance. Irreverence leads to doubt leads to questioning leads to understanding.
As Bill Maher put it in Religulous, "the appropriate attitude to have about he big questions is not the arrogant certitude that is the hallmark of religion but doubt. Doubt is humble and that is what man needs to be given that human history is just a litany of getting shit dead wrong".

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 23, 2009, 09:16:19 am »

You two need to look up "discrimination."  It doesn't mean disagreeing with someone.

Segregation is an example of discrimination.  The American prison camps during WWII were an example of discrimination (only the Japanese were held in them).  Not hiring someone simply because they are, say, Muslim is discrimination.  Calling people stupid for their religion is discrimination. 

Disagreeing with a person's religion, but not hating them for it or thinking less of them for it is not discrimination.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 23, 2009, 09:20:37 am »

What the hell is this thread about?
Are you people seriously, seriously comparing atheism and religion?
Atheism is the lack of religious beliefs. It is not better or worse than religion in a scientific view, as neither worldview can be proven correct. It depends on your personal (lack of) beliefs if it is better or worse in a faith-based view.
There is no discussion. You may as well be discussing whether islam or judaism is better. Qua science, it doesn't matter*, qua faith, it is a personal matter.

*Actually this argument collapses the instant religious organisation go outside their field of operations and start declaring science. See America's evolution/creationism arguments- however, this has nothing to do with atheism/religion, as it is perfectly possible to be religious and not have a conflicting-with-science worldview.

Long Live United Forenia!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 23, 2009, 09:24:58 am »

I think this comic sums up the thread better than that stupid one with the dark room.  Pay close attention to the last three panels, those are the important ones:
Religion vs. Science.

Yay Dinosaur Comics.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 23, 2009, 09:32:48 am »

Just for clarity, people:
Atheism ≠ Science

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 23, 2009, 09:35:08 am »

Except when people run away with them, like in that comic I linked.  Then they both become equally stupid things.
Just so I remember

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 23, 2009, 09:44:24 am »

In the comic you linked to, the issue was whether religion or science should determine world view. Nothing to do with atheism.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 370