Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 359749 times)

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #1785 on: September 29, 2009, 07:21:54 pm »

I am actually proud of myself for not taking part in this thread.  Of course I have bashed/trolled/flamed/argued/cried concerning this topic in lots of other threads so....... :P

And I banned myself for starting to let anger and other poor character traits sneak into my posts until i was raging at ..... nothing really.

Restraint of Pen & Tongue (and now Keyboard) is a most virtuous thing.

These threads have taught me that the specific belief or lack thereof is irrelevant to "righteous" anger and that its a small step from that to violence of the worst sort.

Its also taught me that I can be a pontificating pain in the ass.   ;D
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: September 29, 2009, 09:30:54 pm »

I am actually proud of myself for not taking part in this thread.  Of course I have bashed/trolled/flamed/argued/cried concerning this topic in lots of other threads so....... :P

And I banned myself for starting to let anger and other poor character traits sneak into my posts until i was raging at ..... nothing really.

Restraint of Pen & Tongue (and now Keyboard) is a most virtuous thing.

These threads have taught me that the specific belief or lack thereof is irrelevant to "righteous" anger and that its a small step from that to violence of the worst sort.

Its also taught me that I can be a pontificating pain in the ass.   ;D

Well, you just blew it.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: September 29, 2009, 10:11:07 pm »

/sarcasm
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: September 29, 2009, 10:41:57 pm »

I got insomnia and actually looked through most of this thread.

And then there's like a third of the posts arguing that religion is evil
I would argue that the topic of the thread is "why not worship a god" and that opposition to the alternative would be a valid argument.

I would also like to say that I find the "truth of gods cannot be known" argument irritating...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: September 29, 2009, 11:26:59 pm »

And then there's like a third of the posts arguing that religion is evil
I would argue that the topic of the thread is "why not worship a god" and that opposition to the alternative would be a valid argument.

Ah, I never saw it that way. It looked like a "does a god exist?" question from my POV. But it makes sense to think that "whether or not a god exists, why should I worship it?"
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: September 30, 2009, 01:42:19 am »

If you want to know the topic of this thread, look at the Original Post, which has probably been long forgotten.

Hi,
I see so many topics concerning atheism or proving that no god exists or reasons to be atheist or whatever...
I just don't get it. When I was young I was teached about Jesus and God and I believe in a God until today. I have had a experience that I'd describe as meeting God (it was not a near-death experience) but even without it I wouldn't be able to understand how you think you're alone in the universe. Everything is so perfect, there's a reason for everything and there are so many "coincidences", how's that? How did everything start?
I understand religion has been transformed in a non-sense thing these days, with people making religions to earn money or to have fun.
In my opinion religion should be the way to find the truth about all those questions. In this point of view, an atheist would be religious too.
So, how do you atheists, explain all these above?

I want to bring a constructive discussion, please don't discriminate atheists or religious people, just say your reasons and why. Thanks ;]
!!&!!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: September 30, 2009, 12:25:12 pm »

The original post was something like "heya guys I found out there's some people that don't love Jesus, is that weird or what???"

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: September 30, 2009, 03:27:59 pm »

What about atheists?
I don't believe in god, so I guess I count.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: September 30, 2009, 03:31:02 pm »

There are some who feel that atheists do not, in fact, think that God doesn't exist, but instead simply hate God and cannot accept him.  These tend to be those who are strongly religious but not to the point of violence or hatred.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: September 30, 2009, 06:52:38 pm »

Why is this thread still going on?!?!
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: September 30, 2009, 08:54:10 pm »

It's a little complicated to explain why, but I'll attempt to do my best.

Take a blue balloon and a red balloon and inflate them to the same pressure with the same gases and decorate the blue balloon with a smiley face and the red balloon with a frown face.  Place both balloons in the sun for 14 hours straight.  While waiting for the balloons to deflate, you throw a bone.  A dog will find that bone and chew on it for a while.  If this dog is a long haired dog and it is laying next to a short hair dog and you throw a Frisbee, then the squirrel will run up the tree.  This is likely because of the gases in the balloon with the smile face on it, but it could also have to do with the color of a doughnut.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: September 30, 2009, 09:19:43 pm »

That's actually very well put.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #1797 on: September 30, 2009, 09:45:19 pm »

Ah, I never saw it that way. It looked like a "does a god exist?" question from my POV. But it makes sense to think that "whether or not a god exists, why should I worship it?"

That's probably a more relevant question, because it boils it down to human action. It is possible to determine concrete things about actions and effects, which makes for a much more interesting and productive conversation.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: September 30, 2009, 09:51:03 pm »

There are some who feel that atheists do not, in fact, think that God doesn't exist, but instead simply hate God and cannot accept him.  These tend to be those who are strongly religious but not to the point of violence or hatred.

Of course, that's not atheism but maltheism (and I wouldn't be surprised if there were a moderate number of maltheists out there).  There's a huge difference between the two, but of course you can't expect everyone to recognise that...
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: October 01, 2009, 12:24:27 am »

It's what threads do. If they're good at it, they can keep doing it. But there's always people wanting them to stop. These people are quite selfish, I must say.

Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 370