Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39]

Author Topic: New Graphics set in the making (halted)  (Read 74807 times)

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Graphics set in the making (halted)
« Reply #570 on: August 30, 2009, 12:40:26 am »

Well, the updated versions of 40d that Baugn's been working on support .png's.  Also, I'm happy someone started to work on this, however small your addition is.  I'm thinking I may take a crack at this here.  Hopefully I can channel some of Beefmo's style into something nice.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 30, 2009, 10:31:13 am »

Well, double post for some attention, but oh well.  I'm trying to come up with some ideas for the different Elf military positions and their animal helmets and I can't come up with many good ones.  Snake for lashers, Cobra for Master Lashers; assuming the wrestler is currently a squid; assuming the current spearman is a hippo, I'd say the pikeman should be an elephant; the bowman is a vulture, so I think I'll make the crossbowman a crow or something; I think the current sword user is some kind of cat, so I think the axe user will be a wolf; the mace and hammer users elude me and are where I'd like the most input.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 30, 2009, 10:35:27 am »

You need a bear in there somewhere.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 30, 2009, 10:45:22 am »

Oh, thanks.  You just gave me an idea for another, an Ape.  Still need the blowgun user though...

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 31, 2009, 03:15:09 pm »

Frog?

Amazonian natives use poison frogs to poison their darts... So yeah.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: August 31, 2009, 07:37:00 pm »

That's actually a pretty good idea.  I think I could pull that off.  Unlike my wolf, which just looks like a mess.  Really, most of the stuff's a mess since I'm none too great at pixel art.  I'm really considering giving Elves [CANNOT_UNDEAD] for flavor and because I'm lazy and just making my own little repack like Mayday does.
Current progress:
http://img223.yfrog.com/i/elfe.png/
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 07:38:53 pm by Taritus »

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
  • [PERMITTED_JOB: GRAPHICS_SURGEON]
    • View Profile
*Omni Omni Omni Omni*
« Reply #576 on: April 11, 2010, 03:59:33 pm »

Sorry for the necromancy, but I could think of no better place to put this.

100%

400%

These are some mock-ups for some of the new positions in DF2010. From left to right we have:

The Arsenal Dwarf, the Chief Medical Dwarf (or the Royal Doctor, as I like to call him) a diagnostician, a suturer, a surgeon, a bone-setter and finally a general practitioner.

I wasn't sure if wound dresser was an official profession, nor have I checked to see if you can assign a graphic to the arsenal dwarf and chief medical officer. I just thought I would include those two. Also, please note that 99% of this is just edited artwork that Beefmo did. The only things I drew myself is the clip on the clipboard (not the board itself. That is just half of the book), the middle of the suturer's string, and the horrible masks on the surgeon and bone-setter.

I'll have something up for a wound dresser and a militia commander soonish.

If you are using the recent Mayday's graphic pack, here is a full sheet, which (after you convert it to BMP) you can plop in graphics/mayday, and just change this:

[TILE_PAGE:DORFS]
   [FILE:mayday/dorfsMAYDAY.bmp]
   [TILE_DIM:16:16]
   [PAGE_DIM:12:27]

To this:

[TILE_PAGE:DORFS]
   [FILE:mayday/dorfsbeefmo2010.bmp] (Or whatever you decide to name it.)
   [TILE_DIM:16:16]
   [PAGE_DIM:12:27]

That will get you the diagnostician, suturer, surgeon and bone-doctor.

rhuntar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 12, 2010, 07:54:27 am »

Thrin,

Thank you.  I've been lamenting the lack of beefmo support in the new graphics pack, and had started fiddling with making my own... poorly...

if somebody could help me out though... what txt do i need to add to my graphics .txt to get these to work.  I'll poke around and try things and post back if i figure it out before somebody else does...

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:59:10 am by rhuntar »

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 12, 2010, 07:47:26 pm »

Thank YOU for the compliment. As for the text, I'll put up a quick repack of Beefmo's stuff with the graphics.txt from my set up sometime tonight or tomorrow on DFFD, and give a link here.

EDIT: Here's the repack.

Also, for your tomato throwing pleasure, here is what I'm currently working on:

100%

400%

Up top, we have my various ideas for militia commanders and lieutenants, with my favorites being the ones on the right. (horned helms for commanders, pointy helms for lieutenants, probably using the silver/gray color for Lt.) Note, they can face either way, I'm not that partial.

On the bottom, we have concepts for the General and his lieutenants, with the 'Armokians' on the left, and the 'Paladins' on the right. It's a tossup for me, but if I absolutely had to choose which was the 'dwarfiest', I'd go with the Armokians, with the great axe wielder for the general.

And finally, on the far right, the two concepts for the wound dressers. I just noticed I need to put more of a shoulder on the top one.

There you have it. Please, let me know your thoughts!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 02:40:05 am by Thrin »

rhuntar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 13, 2010, 12:43:44 pm »

These all look pretty fantastic.  The gold trimmed and silver trimmed leaders look great.  I hadn't even processed those noble positions could get their own icons.

I think that the guards with the red trim don't really read.   the red blends into the dwarven faces in a funny way. or maybe its the grey beards that look like armor.. i'm not too sure.

The green 'scrubs' wearing suturer is my favorite, but that's just my opinion.

Keep up the good work!

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 13, 2010, 05:46:30 pm »

Well, to be perfectly honest, I haven't tested if the military leaders can have separate graphics, as I wanted to settle on a design first. However, they are made the same way the arsenal dwarf and chief medical dwarf (along with the rest of the nobles) are, and those I have gotten to work, so I'm thinking they can be done.

One vote for the scrubs, and I'm assuming one for the Paladin style, though it'd be nice to know which of those generals you'd prefer, mace or shield, as well as which of the top row, specifically, you'd like for the militia.

Your facing preference would also be nice. I kinda like them facing right, like they are giving some sort of speech, or berating the squad mates. It also separates them from the normal military, which all face left. However, dwarves strike me as a lead from the front kinda people, which them facing left supports.

As far as the Armokians go, yeah, they do kinda blend in, but then again, the generals also have darker skin then the rest of the dwarves. Oddly enough, I gave the generals gray beads so that it would contrast, and they wouldn't become a big red or gold blob. Seems I failed. Perhaps I should give the 100% a black background, so you can see what they look like in-game. That might help. I'll get on that.

Edit: Here's the In-game version. I might just continue to do it this way rather then the magenta.(until I add it the the graphics sheet, of course.)

100%

400%

Also, here is an edited Armokian Axe general. Hopefully he reads better.

100%

400%
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 06:35:43 am by Thrin »

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 14, 2010, 09:46:53 pm »

A couple of things:

1. After doing some testing, I have found that 'Wound Dresser' is just a job, not a profession, and therefore no separate graphic can be used.

2. I've decided to let this Thread have it's (probably) final rest. This is not to say I'm quitting the project, just that I'm going to do it in it's own thread. This will allow me to put updates on the first page and to set up polls.

See you there!
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39]