Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Isn't Running For Me :(  (Read 7961 times)

ApocalypseSmeep

• Bay Watcher
  • Om nom nom
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Isn't Running For Me :(
« on: April 28, 2009, 10:14:28 pm »

I was recently pointed to Dwarf Fortress by a friend (the log about 'Boatmurdered', to be honest,) and now three of us are playing it.

I can get it to run on my laptop with Windows Vista, the place I was worried about, but my desktop doesn't seem to want to run it at all with Windows XP.

It gets as far as asking me if I want full screen or not, if I pick full screen the screen goes black, flashes to the desktop with bigger icons, goes black again, then goes back to the normal desktop and gives me an error notice from windows. If I pick minimised, I just get an error notice from Windows.

I love the game, I'm hooked on it. I would hate to only be able to play it on my laptop. :( If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know.

I wasn't sure where to put this, apologies if it is in the wrong place.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Isn't Running For Me :(
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 10:52:09 pm »

Thats wierd.  I've never heard of DF erros like this on XP.  Maybe its corrupt install.  Delete your current one (backup saves if you have any) and download a fresh copy.  If not, you might have some init options that arent working for you (which shouldnt be the case if left it at default).

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 10:54:22 pm »

Try running it in windowed mode? Windowed mode isn't exactly worse, but it saves alt-tabbing if you use something like dwarf foreman.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 12:47:33 am »

Try updating your graphics drivers.  What error does Windows give you?  Also, are you running 40d or 40d11?  It's hard to help you without these kinds of details.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 04:50:59 am »

Lol. Upgrading a graphics driver for ASCII graphics. You made me smile :D

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 05:34:34 am »

It still goes through the GPU, regardless of what the textures happen to be pictures of.  ;)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 05:45:19 am »

Simulated ASCII.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 06:59:54 am »

Actually DF's engine is OpenGL based.  ;)

ApocalypseSmeep

• Bay Watcher
  • Om nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 07:31:06 am »

Try updating your graphics drivers.  What error does Windows give you?  Also, are you running 40d or 40d11?  It's hard to help you without these kinds of details.

I don't know what you mean by either of those modes, but due to needing to do... well a lot of work to get a slave drive running recently, everything is updated. I even checked for new graphic drivers just now, and I am fully updated. I already tried deleting the folder and installing from a different mirror, the same one that was successful for my laptop actually, (though oddly, the icon for the .exe file is different between the two.)

I have run it in full screen and windowed mode as I mentioned in the first post. I may have been a bit vague about that. One causes a black flash, the other causes nothing. After that with either I get a windows error. No number attached or anything.

One thing to note is that I have to approve running the file. Windows seems to think all the related files are dangerous. I think this was true of Vista though, since I had to do the same thing there, (I don't have that annoying setting where you have to approve everything run with Vista, so this was unusual,) but it still ran after I approved it.

Unrelated: Trust me, I know how weird it can get with graphics drivers and non-graphics games. I play a mud most of the time, and my PSU has been too weak to support my system since I installed my slave drive. The first thing that went was my video card so I was left with onboard. Apparently you need top of the line graphics for scrolling text... >.< (Note: this hasn't interfered with DF, usually the comp works normally, sometimes it just has a tantrum.)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 08:22:42 am »

That is really weird, don't get many reports of it not running.  If your using the official version from the main page try using 40D11 http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28841.0 the link to the download should be in the OP. 

40D# is a project to optimize Dwarf Fortress' display code.  It's currently the 10th or 11th version and there seems to be few problems remaining with it if the poll is any indication.  If the problem is graphical 40d11 might get around it.  Good news is that it is likely to be merged with the next version of official DF. 

EDIT for a disclaimer:Unfortunately few if any of the player made utilities like companion or tweak work with d11 due to memory addresses being different.

I guess it could be possible to have a computer below min specs, but those specs are really really low, and I can't imagine it outright crashing if you don't meet them.  That's all I can offer, hope you get it working so you can be an addict like the rest of us.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:25:53 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 10:10:48 am »

And it couldnt have anything to do with the desktop resolution?

CynicalRyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 04:52:53 pm »

And it couldnt have anything to do with the desktop resolution?

No.

ApocalypseSmeep

• Bay Watcher
  • Om nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 09:15:42 pm »

Tried 4d11. On the min version I get the outline of a box before I get an error message. Max is the same as before.

My computer should have the capacity to run Dwarf Fortress, it can run Left4Dead.

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 10:12:59 pm »

Could be something pinging the computer, try turning anti-virus off or any crap you got in the toolbar. And what do you mean you tried installig it from a different mirror? I'd be scared if it's asking you to authorise running it and you downloaded it from somewhere else. Have you tried downloading it from this site?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 10:20:21 pm by codezero »

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 12:03:05 am »

Could be something pinging the computer, try turning anti-virus off or any crap you got in the toolbar. And what do you mean you tried installig it from a different mirror? I'd be scared if it's asking you to authorise running it and you downloaded it from somewhere else. Have you tried downloading it from this site?

someone pinging the computer, that was a joke right? :D
by installing from a different mirror, i asume he meant he downloaded the game from a different mirror on the front page..
Pages: [1] 2