Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question: Is there any timeframe for the new version?  (Read 1326 times)

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
A question: Is there any timeframe for the new version?
« on: April 29, 2009, 01:30:18 am »

Not that I want to rush you, Fox, but I was just wondering - is there any estimate for when there'll be a new version? If so, what's in it?

Maybe you need to set up a progress report, like Toady. :D
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A question: Is there any timeframe for the new version?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 01:40:48 am »

I know that I'm not the one you'd like to hear from but from what I recall, JSF is
A: A student, and a pretty busy one.
B: Not employed by this project. Remember, Toady, though the income is small, has DF as his day job.

As best I've been able to gather, this is at best a side project for 'im. That's, I think, partially why the source code is available, so that if someone really wants a tweak or new feature, they can put it in.
The open way's too dangerous / Listen close they're watching us
One more time you're losing us / Hold still they're shooting us
First wave down / I wonder when they're coming back
First wave intact
-Secret Machines- First Wave Intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 02:14:11 am »

*nods* I'm aware, and I was wondering if it was a busy time for JSF and if this was the reason for lack of work.

I can wait, don't worry. :D
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 04:17:55 am »

The spring semester is finished, so in theory I should be able to work on it now, but I'm currently staying with family, away from my new PC. Now that I do have a desktop PC, I'm spoiled and won't code without it, so I'm stalling until next week. At that point, I'll have one summer class to contend with, which may leave me a great degree of free time. We'll see. Ultimately, whether I work on LCS at all is always dependent on my mood in addition to free time, which is why it's common to see a lot of frequent updates clustered together and then a couple months of inactivity. If I'm not excited to update the game, I won't do it -- that would just make me burn out, and it would probably mean the updates aren't as good too.

A bit of history regarding the source: LCS is under the GNU General Public License, which mandates that future modifications to the code be released to the public as well. So I'm actually legally obligated to share any code updates if I offer downloads of my changes to the game. Where I came in is that about two years ago, I got the inkling to dig up the LCS source code released by Toady before he started focusing on just DF and spent about a day reading it front to back, then starting modding it. Everything just got carried away from there. There isn't -really- any reason someone else couldn't be in my place, I'm only in charge as a de facto thing, as the game hadn't been updated in years before I started working on it and nobody else has focused on it to the same degree.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 04:35:06 am »

Doesn't Servant Corpse do some coding as well?

Meh. We really need to band a team together.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 02:11:24 pm »

I do some coding, but not as reliably as the others (and not very well either). I only submitted the Stalinist Comrade Squad, and that's, well, it. I'm not even sure if it will be released with the next version of LCS.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 02:02:41 am »

Wish I could help but I can't. Yet, anyway. If I could learn the shit I'd take up the project in a heartbeat, since I have the free time anyway.
!!&!!