Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 152

Author Topic: Prospector, a roguelike in development  (Read 275601 times)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prospector, a roguelike in development
« Reply #1140 on: February 01, 2010, 09:54:21 am »

How does XP work in this game? I found a planet with 4 caves, each with seemingly endless amount of giant worms called burrowers... I've returned to the planet 3 times and the first cave is still not cleared yet (tons of burrower corpses around the entrance).

My 10 red shirts each have over 100 XP each... but I don't really feel them getting stronger, and from my limited past experience, I can tell they are definitely not strong enough to tackle any of the robots or crystal hybrids.

magellan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: February 01, 2010, 10:12:19 am »

roll=rnd_range(1,crew(a).xp)
if roll>5+crew(a).hp^2 and crew(a).xp>0 then  lev(a)+=1

Plain text that'd mean this:
Roll a number between 1 and the XP of the crewmember
If that number is higher than 5+crewmember HP^2 then level up.
So you need to roll 7 or better for a green to become veteran
11 or better for a veteran to become elite
Elite is the top tier.

Checks each time you dock, and since it's dependent on HPs Exosceletons or tough talent will increase the target number. But in the 100s? Redshirts definitely should get a level out of that if they aren't elite already.
Prospector, my space exploration roguelike:
http://code.google.com/p/rlprospector/

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: February 01, 2010, 10:22:03 am »

Actually, I got carried away farming the burrowers... some of them have 400XP stored up now. Many of them have some talents like sharpshooter(1) or toughness(2).

On the other hand, my high ranking officers don't seem to be getting much XP despite their better guns. My captain is the same old 7HP with 8XP. I guess you can't learn much when you are not willing to get your hands dirty... :P

I have to stop farming for now though, since the bounty isn't very good and I have to pay for salary and fuel somehow.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: February 01, 2010, 11:08:34 am »

Cool little game. Managed to retire the first time now, yay!

A small suggestion:

How about making the retirement flexible instead of a set amount of credits as the limit? Something like this - you can retire on any station or inhabited planet you find. The result for the character depends on the amount of money he has and the place he chooses. So retiring with 30 credits on a space stations means you become a space janitor, with 500 k you retire to Earth and buy a mansion et cetera. Then there could be some kind of ultimate victory conditions (tm) for the really greedy tied to the special planets. Something like find the secret of immortality, become immortal and become the king of the planet of bikini bimbos.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: February 02, 2010, 02:01:18 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

magellan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: February 02, 2010, 02:37:37 pm »

http://code.google.com/p/rlprospector/wiki/FAQ

Q: What are cryo chambers good for?

A: cryogenic chambers provide easy storage for people, just hire the additional crewmen to fill them.
Prospector, my space exploration roguelike:
http://code.google.com/p/rlprospector/

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: February 02, 2010, 02:55:29 pm »

http://code.google.com/p/rlprospector/wiki/FAQ

Q: What are cryo chambers good for?

A: cryogenic chambers provide easy storage for people, just hire the additional crewmen to fill them.
can you transport chambers from one ship to an other?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: February 02, 2010, 02:57:49 pm »

They should transfer, since there isn't a limit to the number of cryochambers a ship can hold.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: February 02, 2010, 07:57:51 pm »

I've seen a bunch of warning text in yellow... including no. of errors fixed during galaxy generation, and that about removing non-existent items when first entering a map.

Are those bugs, or are they expected? If they are bugs, do you need a save and log?

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: February 02, 2010, 09:01:35 pm »

I've seen a bunch of warning text in yellow... including no. of errors fixed during galaxy generation, and that about removing non-existent items when first entering a map.

Are those bugs, or are they expected? If they are bugs, do you need a save and log?

I think the bugs in galaxy generation are things like gas clouds being on space stations or just placement errors (two planets on top of each other, etc)- they're going to be inherent in any procedurally generated world (just look at DF...).

The "ERROR: Failed to remove nonexistant item" bugs are... well, I think they're just that, bugs. Typically I get them first landing on planets after I scan them? I figure it's something to do with the terrain effects generating and absorbing minerals.

Any chance of throwing in binary star systems? I seem to recall only single-star systems. Might be able to represent them with the appropriately coloured %? Or some other obscure symbol.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: February 03, 2010, 01:50:25 pm »

Ok, I've been playing Prospector for a while on my other laptop, at a regular 1280x800 resolution. Now I'm on my main laptop, though, and it's a 16:9 1366x768 resolution, and if I try to put it in fullscreen all the colours are screwed up. I really want to play it again, but windowed mode is so tiny it's not even funny :(

Oh, and it's Windows 7.

Help?
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: February 05, 2010, 11:47:13 pm »

The game doesn't like the filthy money of filthy rich people...  :P

I can buy fuel and ammo normally if the tanks are not full... so this is only a message problem when you can't buy more.

Also, it seems the A screen is not tall enough... when I have 20 crew, the captain and pilot are pushed out of the top of the screen, and the purple cursor can go up off the screen to select them.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 12:45:07 am by kcwong »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: February 06, 2010, 10:02:06 pm »

I have a question... I'm now again stuck on that silicone planet, with mud pouring in faster than I can dig my ship out.

Unlike last time, my team is good enough to fight here. However I went through the caves and found an underground forest, but I can't find any brain inside.

Back on the surface I can see a light green & (which should be a suit of armor), surrounded by a *huge* amount of blue o's. Is that where the brain is, instead of being underground?

My oxygen and jet pack fuel supplys are not high - I can't find big aux. oxygen/jet pack fuel tanks anywhere the whole game, so that makes exploring much more difficult.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: February 10, 2010, 12:24:29 am »

Hrm...

How do you see what your bought equipment is, and how do you set down a rover?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: February 10, 2010, 01:24:57 am »

Bug:

When trying to load a game from the main menu when you dont have a save game to load, results in a black screen!

For freaken ever.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 152