Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152]

Author Topic: Prospector, a roguelike in development  (Read 271865 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Prospector, a roguelike in development
« Reply #2265 on: December 27, 2018, 04:03:47 pm »

Just going to warn, this is a slow thread
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: December 27, 2018, 06:07:49 pm »

is the game open or closed source, if it is open sourced we could attempt to recruit more hands to move it forward

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: December 27, 2018, 08:01:06 pm »

is the game open or closed source, if it is open sourced we could attempt to recruit more hands to move it forward

It's close source and sort-of-worked-on so I don't think the dev will be opening it up just yet.

That said, If you're actually interested (and more importantly capable - no one likes 'ideas' people) then definitely get in touch and see if you can help!!

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: December 28, 2018, 10:52:42 am »

I just noticed there's an option to do random perks for your captain now (possibly before now, but also now). Drop starting cash to zero and go to town on that button. Before, the only use I found for starting money was hiring a better pilot and science officer.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2269 on: December 28, 2018, 06:36:22 pm »

I liked buying random gear till I got binoculars and some sort of lamp
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: December 29, 2018, 11:54:04 pm »

It's close source and sort-of-worked-on so I don't think the dev will be opening it up just yet.

That said, If you're actually interested (and more importantly capable - no one likes 'ideas' people) then definitely get in touch and see if you can help!!

given the dev hasn't really been working heavily on it, I would have thought open sourcing it would have been a smart move, given the lack of income probably if it was to be sold.  But that's just me

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: December 30, 2018, 08:35:54 am »

It was openish source a while back, all in BASIC too. You could probably find an old version of the source if you looked.

Probably under ProspectorRL or RLProspector. I'm actually inclined to think you didn't even look, because it's here:
https://storage.googleapis.com/google-code-archive-source/v2/code.google.com/rlprospector/source-archive.zip

2012 (0.2.4'ish) source code, but plenty of things worked back then. Or you could pretty please the hell out of Magellan, but don't be surprised if it's a polite "No", especially if you can't code.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 08:49:27 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: December 30, 2018, 04:18:43 pm »

In... BASIC?

That still, like, exists?

What is it coded in now?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2273 on: December 30, 2018, 04:23:11 pm »

Likely not literally BASIC but one of the newer basics. For instance when in highschool I was taught to program with visual basic.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: January 01, 2019, 09:56:26 am »

Guess I'll try this game out some time. I've seen it but haven't really gotten into it so far. Will be here to ask questions and describe my experience.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: January 02, 2019, 04:58:11 pm »

I've played this game for more hours than is reasonable, but I'll die every time there's a derelict with the possibility of loot.

I also once
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: January 04, 2019, 03:51:48 pm »

It was openish source a while back, all in BASIC too. You could probably find an old version of the source if you looked.

Probably under ProspectorRL or RLProspector. I'm actually inclined to think you didn't even look, because it's here:
https://storage.googleapis.com/google-code-archive-source/v2/code.google.com/rlprospector/source-archive.zip

2012 (0.2.4'ish) source code, but plenty of things worked back then. Or you could pretty please the hell out of Magellan, but don't be surprised if it's a polite "No", especially if you can't code.

I'm inclined to say that I knew all about that Sambojin, but didn't mention it as it's a) very old, and b) Magellan hasn't released the source of the current (or even vaugely current-ish) version which leads me to believe he might not want others to work on it atm.

The best way to go about this is to ask him directly, but as mentioned, if you can't code in the language it was written in there's probably not a great deal of point.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2277 on: January 04, 2019, 04:14:07 pm »

PTW, wanna try this at some point.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152]