Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Speciality fortress brands of booze?  (Read 1555 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Speciality fortress brands of booze?
« on: August 15, 2015, 06:09:37 pm »

Apologies if this has been thought of before etc, etc, but how about fortress brands of drink? For example, rather than producing plain old radish wine, your fort could produce Tunnelbodice radish wine: only from Tunnelbodice fort!

This could be applied in several ways:

a) Like the animal training system: after reaching a "general familiarity" with turnip wine, starting with "knowing a few facts" about turnip wine, you can become "skilled" with turnip wine, and can then produce you own brand.
b)Actually doing something with those legendary brewer skills other than brewing tons of stuff: a legendary brewer can invent a brand or type of liquor.
c) You are randomly assigned a brand or brands of booze, possibly with something like the strange mood system.

And the brands could appear in several different ways:

a)Randomized names, fort names, you choose the names, any combination
b)Randomized descriptions (smooth, acidic, that other stuff it says on the label), or descriptions based on climate and soil type
c)Worth more when traded, makes dwarves happier, increases fortress wealth by given amount, allows for faster brewing, attracts more fort visitors to tavern.

Thought this would be especially interesting with regard to the taverns update.
One wheel short of a wagon

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Speciality fortress brands of booze?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 07:19:05 pm »

Seems Toady has thought along these lines.

Bloat212 BOTTLING Glass bottles for trading away master booze, bottling it and aging it, fun labeling of the bottles complete with names and images and years, comments on years, collector quests.
From the old dev notes.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Tristan Alkai

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE_CURIOSITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 08:50:43 pm »

I would prefer to see a recipe that actually distinguishes your fort's "radish wine" from every other fort's radish wine.  Maybe some ability to add hops or rruit to flavor beer.  Recipes for booze could actually become almost as intricate as for prepared meals. 

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 02:52:39 am »

Maybe brand-invention could work like moods, one day Urist McBrewer gets a weird thought and adds mog-juice and peppermint leaves to the plumphelmet-wine barrel, just to see how it would taste. From then on "McBrewer's Scintillating Mist" is an official plumphelmet-wine brand of the fortress/his family, depending on how copyrights will eventually work in DF once the Economy is reimplemented, and the recipe is available to specifically produce as long as you have the ingredients.

Tangentially, I'd like to see recipes get invented and passed around during world-gen too. Cookbooks, you know? Ideally there would be a way to buy a cookbook from a trader, and make any specific dish written in it rather than just the generic options.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 03:14:39 am »

Seems Toady has thought along these lines.

Bloat212 BOTTLING Glass bottles for trading away master booze, bottling it and aging it, fun labeling of the bottles complete with names and images and years, comments on years, collector quests.
From the old dev notes.

Thanks, I obviously didn't look hard enough :-[

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 07:36:48 am »

I only posted because I figured Toady's comments about similar would aid the discussion.

I really like the idea of your fortress becoming known for specific high quality produce. I wonder how the upcoming change to cooking with recipes will influence this kind of thing (some regional variation I hope).

One other method of developing brands could be to have the game assess the quality of your fort's traded produce and give a reputation based on the best and worst. The traders could mention it to you in fort mode and it should be mentioned alongside mention of the fort in other modes. Reputation for some crafts could draw the attention of right minded megabeasts and leaders (weapons, gold, jewels, etc).
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 03:14:50 pm »

Maybe brand-invention could work like moods, one day Urist McBrewer gets a weird thought and adds mog-juice and peppermint leaves to the plumphelmet-wine barrel, just to see how it would taste. From then on "McBrewer's Scintillating Mist" is an official plumphelmet-wine brand of the fortress/his family, depending on how copyrights will eventually work in DF once the Economy is reimplemented, and the recipe is available to specifically produce as long as you have the ingredients.

Tangentially, I'd like to see recipes get invented and passed around during world-gen too. Cookbooks, you know? Ideally there would be a way to buy a cookbook from a trader, and make any specific dish written in it rather than just the generic options.

Yeah, I reckon cocktails would be REALLY easy to implement, if they were just made from any 4 drinks, and cookbooks, with specific dishes being worth more, perhaps, would be great too.