Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20

Author Topic: Total Interface Overhaul (now with sparkles)  (Read 71226 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: Total Interface Overhaul (now with sparkles)
« Reply #150 on: June 12, 2010, 02:31:52 pm »

Hi!

Deathworks, if you want to keep creating bedrooms from beds, how about barracks from armor stands? And what would you do with hospitals? In my head, bedrooms, barracks and hospitals are very similar concepts that deserve a unified approach.

Let's see. Hospitals is actually an easy one for me. The most basic hospital which is what we had before 31 is a single bed allowing the patient to rest, which is the prerequisite for treatment (patients not resting can not be treated). Thus, if we wanted to unify the hospital with the furniture method, it would be a variant of the bed room, that is another room that can be spawned by the bed.

Barracks are a bit more difficult for me as I have not used them a lot in a while (no military in my fortresses as I delay invaders and then have weapon traps ready to handle any threats). The logic thing, if we wanted to unify it would be what is most significant for its function. As far as I recall, barracks have two purposes - sleeping and training. Given that the bed already has two functions, you could either argue that giving it a third possibility won't make a difference and make it kind of an easy thing to remember. However, you could also argue that actually the weapon rack or armor stand would also be logical.

HideousBeing: This is actually also an improvement I have noticed in the latest version: There is more information given when you look at things (at least rocks now tell you what you can do with them).

I agree that the documentation that comes with the game is nightmarish insufficient (I am not sure whether I mentioned that, but the newbie who got tricked by the 'b'uild menu was actually valiant enough to learn the game via the included manual).

Deathworks

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 12, 2010, 10:21:06 pm »

Has anyone started a player-made game documentation thread yet?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #152 on: June 13, 2010, 03:47:33 am »

Let's see. Hospitals is actually an easy one for me. The most basic hospital which is what we had before 31 is a single bed allowing the patient to rest, which is the prerequisite for treatment (patients not resting can not be treated). Thus, if we wanted to unify the hospital with the furniture method, it would be a variant of the bed room, that is another room that can be spawned by the bed.

You loose some flexibility this way. For example separate storage room/operating room. Why should there be bed in room with chests full of medical supplies?

Similary, I would like to have "closet" room for my dwarves that is a bit removed from heart of fortress: Personal room to store their stuff in chests and cabinets, maybe place bin on ground and put clothing and old toys in it.

When I designate room from furniture, it would have to be bed, office, dining room or statue garden. None of them is apropriate because it makes dwarf walk there and spend time there and it always costs one tile. (I end up using one statues and designate statue garden from it. Room full of clothing with one statue is statue garden, sigh ...). And inversely, I do not want dwarves to make carpet of theri clothing in dining room/office/bedroom.

We could, of course, add Treasury/Storage room designation to chests and cabinets. But, aren't there stockpiles already?

Similary, hospital zone right now also works kind of stockpileish how it stores supplies. Curious. And dump zone ...

It seems that it just makes sense to remove stockpile designation and just have zones that can act like storage.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 13, 2010, 05:30:29 am »

Hi!

Which would then support my original feeling that unification is not necessarily the road to take here.

For instance, a throne room without a throne or a study without a chair simply feels wrong, as does a bed room without any real bed (or straw mat, at least).

Deathworks

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 13, 2010, 06:05:16 am »

Quote from: Deathworks
Which would then support my original feeling that unification is not necessarily the road to take here.
Well, I could not disagree more, but you already know it  :P  Not only there's no unification between different building categories (workshops/constructions/rooms) in your version, there's even no unification inside what a perceive as a single category (bedrooms, hospitals, etc.). Which is IMHO very bad.

And please note what I've written about having bedrooms, barracks, etc. in the Building menus. I feel it's very crucial to have them there.

Quote from: Zwei
It seems that it just makes sense to remove stockpile designation and just have zones that can act like storage.
Well... stockpiles and zones are just two names for the same thing. Even now they work basically the same way. You draw a rectangle and then set its properties. So yeah.

But I'd say zones should be removed completely. Part of them is rooms (hospital, meeting area), part of them is stockpiles (garbage dump) and part of them is designations - or "work area" how I call it (fishing zones). There's no need to have them as a separate building type.

EDIT: When I say "remove zones", I mean remove them as a separate option in the menu, not remove the principle. As I've said, I like how hospitals work, for example, and would extend it to other rooms as well.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 06:11:51 am by Jiri Petru »
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 13, 2010, 07:38:40 am »

For instance, a throne room without a throne or a study without a chair simply feels wrong, as does a bed room without any real bed (or straw mat, at least).
A better way to handle these kinds of required items would be that the interface would automatically ask the player which chair/bed/whatever to add to the newly defined room (and then where to place it), just like building a bridge requires you to select the used materials.

It would also be nice to be able to add more furniture through a similar system; select a room, choose to add furniture and so on.

I may be used to the DF way of defining rooms from furniture but it still feels like a strange way to do it...
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 13, 2010, 02:57:03 pm »

You could do a check to see if the room has furniture in there when you designate it, but I don't really think it's necessary. Simply designating that as a "bedroom" zone should be fine; it just wouldn't provide benefits to the dwarf unless it had furniture. Like having a new house, but you haven't moved in all the furniture in yet, so you sleep on the floor with a couple of blankets.

robolee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 13, 2010, 04:57:59 pm »

I think all of the mock-ups so far are missing the point entirely as I don't don't believe DF will ever have non tile based text and menus. There's a possibility but I doubt it. Plus there's the fact that you're gutting a few of the things like the map panel which I doubt toady would get rid of.

heres my mock-ups:

and a couple more in spoilers:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and some info:
Take out non gameplay related selections and put them in the bottom border (universal pause, escape etc).
Use mouse for many things treating the menu and map border panel as a button, and the menu selections like "build".
Use mouse scroll as well as +/- to scroll menus.
unify similar things (zones=stockpiles, burrows and zones, military=squad and equipment setup).
job menu replaced with a full fortress labour editor (aka dwarf therapist functionality) as shown above.
also having the help command anywhere could provide help for the screen that is currently active.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 05:13:49 pm by robolee »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 13, 2010, 05:01:15 pm »

I think all of the mock-ups so far are missing the point entirely as I don't don't believe DF will ever have non tile based text and menus. There's a possibility but I doubt it.

It's fairly likely that we'll get non-grid text:

# Core51, SIZEABLE GAME WINDOW, (Future): Allow the resizing of the game windows, and possibly the support of variable width fonts to allow more text to be displayed.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 14, 2010, 09:19:50 am »

Robolee: thanks for your mockups! It's definitely an improvement over the present DF but I'm afraid that more than anything it has shown the interface mustn't be limited to the game grid. It's really just an annoying limitation, and I think your Jobs screen is a good example - it's really clumsy because of the grid and you can't fit almost anything in there. Imagine how much better it would be if you could fit more text in the same space.

All in all, I'd say there's no point trying to do anything with the interface until it gets separated from the game grid.

Take out non gameplay related selections and put them in the bottom border (universal pause, escape etc).
Use mouse for many things treating the menu and map border panel as a button, and the menu selections like "build".
Use mouse scroll as well as +/- to scroll menus.
unify similar things (zones=stockpiles, burrows and zones, military=squad and equipment setup).
job menu replaced with a full fortress labour editor (aka dwarf therapist functionality) as shown above.
also having the help command anywhere could provide help for the screen that is currently active.
I absolutely agree with these though  ;)
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Atanamis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 14, 2010, 03:27:19 pm »

Jiri, that's a beautiful interface and well organized. I agree with you that the reorganization is the key thing, and that furniture based room designation has to go.

marcusbjol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 14, 2010, 04:23:44 pm »

OK here it is.  Outsource it Toady.

Convert DF to an application to do what you really care about: running the simulation.  Keep the ASCII interface and add in a back end so other programs can talk to DF properly (mebby a IP Port on the localhost). 

DwarfTherapist could do queries based on a set of paramters and get the information back.  It would not break at every minor version.  The same for Stonesense. 

Allow the backend communcition allow for input as well as output. Stonesense could become the defacto graphical interface for the game.  Do not allow the back end to cheat.

This would take significant time once.  After that, new code would be designed with this inmind so it should not be a problem.  This would allow the end users, who really enjoy the game, do to the graphic coding for you.  If these were documented properly, the graphic coders would be albe to update for new features quickly.

Benefits for Toady -
1 - Point his finger to the guys doing the graphics engine when others complain about the UI.
2 - Obsolescence is coming (it always is).  How much effort would it take a group of people to remake dwarffortress in their own design?

Costs -
1 - Large upfront time cost coding the back end communicator.  It would have to be albe to communicate with DF completely.
2 - Small cost making future code work with the back end.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 14, 2010, 09:33:20 pm »

I like the proof of concept (though it is quite straightforward!).  Since DF already has mouse support, it's really only a question of time and more feature-freezes to get something like that working.  Perhaps the month end project?  (Does anyone know what that is by the way?)
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 14, 2010, 09:36:21 pm »

Perhaps the month end project?  (Does anyone know what that is by the way?)

Toady has said repeatedly that it's not DF-related.  There's no other concrete info.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20