Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 131552 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Round 4 rules discussion
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 11:31:01 am »

webadict: I think he is referring to what would happen if the Dopp Seeker is in a situation where there are 2 Dopps, 2 Townies, and 1 Dopp Seeker. The Dopp Seeker can go and try to capture one Dopp...but he could decide to vote with the Dopps, allowing the Dopps to take over and kill everyone. Since the Dopps won, the Dopp Seeker's friends can come down and grab a Dopp, so the Dopp Seeker would win too.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 11:34:25 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 07:46:29 pm »

Some potential new roles I've been thinking about:

New Doppelganger roles
Advanced Doppelganger: An experimental advanced version of the doppelganger. Once per game the advanced doppelganger can Consume and Replace the target for that night. In game terms, the player who was the doppelganger is now out of the game (although he still wins with the dopps), and the player targeted by the advanced dopp becomes a doppelganger. This new form of doppelganger is unstable, however, and cannot have any other abilities. Any abilities possessed by the Consumed character are lost, including Mind Shield. The advanced doppelganger shows up as a normal doppelganger would to all investigative roles. Aliens cannot be Consumed, but the once-per-game limit on the ability is not used up if the Adv. Dopp tries to consume them.

Controlled Doppelganger: Unlike the normal doppelgangers, this one is actually responding to the Alien control waves. Since the rest of the batch is bad, they need to be destroyed. Therefore, this doppelganger works with an Exterminator Alien to help clean up the failed experiment and all evidence of it. He still has access to the Dopp chat, and acts in most ways as a normal doppelganger. However, the Controlled Doppelganger is actually on the same side as the Exterminator, and wins if he does. They are in contact with one another, and will have their own chat channel.

If examined by a Doppelganger Detective, their Controlled nature will be revealed. The Doppelgangers may use their night kill to remove a suspected Controlled Dopp if they wish. In case of a tie, the Controlled Dopp will lose.

New Human Roles
  The Cult of the Great Old Ones are a group of Psychics attempting to summon their Dark Gods to this earth. To do so, they need human sacrifices. With the latest events, they figure doppelgangers and aliens should work just as well. Maybe even better. Each night they get a Night kill, just like the Dopps. They are an anti-town faction, and win when all other groups are dead. This includes Doppelgangers and Aliens. Unlike the other groups, they'll happily kill the Survivor Alien at the end of the game. They can use his blood, too. Although the Survivor will win in a tie if there are three groups left (he'll run away and the others fight it out).

Cult Leader: The Cult leader is an upstanding citizen of the town by day, and a cruel heartless fanatic by night. The cult leader will show up as 'No Role' to a Detective. Only a Telepath can determine his desire to 'Kill' each night.

Cultist: Cultists act like normal humans, except they are evil and have 'Kill' as a goal by default. Their Role is listed as 'Cultist', if they have no other profession. If they do have another profession, it must be a Psychic role, and a Detective will then both roles. I.e. a 'Telepath Cultist'. This should make up for the fact that the Agent will not be able to distinguish them from any other human.

I'm not thinking of adding these roles any time soon. We still have a lot of balancing to do with the current set-up. But I wanted to get them down somewhere before I forgot about them.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 08:07:01 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 07:59:30 pm »

There's lots of roles already, do ya think that might be too many? Some trimming might be necessary.

Either that, or a very large player base to compensate, so things don't get too complicated.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 08:07:27 pm »

Yeah, these would probably be added in sometime later. Probably if we had a game with a very large player-base.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 05:25:27 pm »

I've integrated the changes into the main list for next time. The new roles will still wait, of course.

Any other thoughts so far?
Come play Mafia with us!

Beacon80

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 07:05:08 pm »

I'd vote against the Cult of the Great Old Ones.  I mean, you're effectively adding in another team of dopps, and I think that reduces the townies chances too much.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 07:10:21 pm »

Actually, that makes it harder on BOTH teams, since the ratio of anti-town to pro-town has to stay the same.

So, if the cult made it in to a 16 player game you'd have 2 dopps, 2 cultists, and the rest a mix of humans/aliens. Since the dopps and cultists have to fight each other and the town, and have their numbers half of what they would be, they're both worse off.

Also, I could have Cultists instead of Dopps in a game, which could be interesting. That'd mix up which power roles are best for the town.
Come play Mafia with us!

Beacon80

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 07:47:42 pm »

That would make things difficult to calculate, though.  I mean, in a normal game, the agent is probably the most useful town role out there.  But if he's going up against cultists, his abilities are almost worthless (all he could find are aliens)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 07:49:52 pm »

True. Hmm, I'd have to add another two columns to my sheet, I think, so each role would have 3 different weights.

Dopps vs Town, Cult vs Town, Dopps vs Cult vs Town

With that in place the script would just use the appropriate weight for the game. It'd be a little more difficult to code and balance, but hardly impossible.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 01:48:20 pm »

New rule: If the Disciple of Truth uses his power on a Mind Shield it is blocked by not used up. The Disciple can simply choose to use their power on another player.

Thought:

To help out the aliens a bit more, I was thinking of doing two things involving the scanner that the Exterminator can take.
   Here is its current definition: one-time-use Scanner (which would work once as a combination of the Agent and Detective, showing both Race and Role)

The first change would be to provide one of these to the Agent Seeker and Dopp Hunter aliens to improve their chances of winning.
The second change would be to expand the power of the Scanner a bit.
     Proposed definition: one-time-use Scanner (which would work once as a combination of the Agent and Detective, showing both Race and Role). Will always return the true result, regardless of role abilities

This would help them avoid problems with Doppelganger Agents and the Kook. It would also allow the Dopp Hunter to find the Doppelganger Leader. Of course, since it's a one-shot item they have to choose wisely on whether or not to use it. Especially if they're worried that the dopps might kill them if they wait a night to make sure their target is who they think they are.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 02:52:16 pm by Mephansteras »
Come play Mafia with us!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 08:13:25 pm »

Hmm, I rather like that.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 08:15:40 pm »

I want in this round. You forgot me last time...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009, 08:23:34 pm »

Sorry Org, I'll make sure you're in the list for the next round!
Come play Mafia with us!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 01:15:57 am »

Okay, now list what abilities Mind Shields block.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 02:31:17 am »

Have I suggested you make it possible for there to be two bodyguards? If I hadn't before, I have now.
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 117