Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 133398 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion
« Reply #1710 on: February 20, 2017, 11:34:08 pm »

What happens if an Observant Guard protects an active War Vet?

He gets shot. And probably 'informs' the War Vet of who shot him in a horrified/sarcastic/betrayed sort of way.
Yes!
* 4maskwolf silently passes Wuba $20
*Knock knock*!
"Who is it?"
"Um, I'll just stand out here, can't tell you I'm protecting you, ignore me!"
"Oh okay!"
*A few minutes pass and forgetfulness hits*
AND THEN SOMEONE WAS AT THE DOOR!
*BLAM*
"I was...going to protect you."

But seriously, Meph, you're making brilliant imagery just by the hilarity of these scenes. :P

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: February 20, 2017, 11:38:33 pm »

What happens if a bulletproof guard protects a War Vet?

We've got those right?

...What happens with any protects on a War Vet?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: February 21, 2017, 12:04:04 am »

Don't forget the day game in the absurdity.

War Vet, in PM to Meph: "I won't be here for day end or for the night.  Action in advance: Tonight, I'll be active."
Guard, 3 minutes before day end: "Hey, I'll protect [War Vet] tonight."
Night happens.
Guard arrives, prepared to save [War Vet] from the inevitable doppelganger-exterminator-vigilante triple kill.
Guard knocks on the door.  Guard opens the door.  War Vet is ready for anything, even his own known bodyguard.  BLAM.
Guard, now with rather less arm: "Hey, just checking up on you.  Looks like you just tried to attack you...wait..."
BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM.
Guard: "...oh."  Thud.  BLAM BLAM BLAM.  "I'm already dead.  Stop shooting me."  BLAM.

The doppelganger, exterminator, and vigilante hiding out in the bushes decide collectively decide to kill someone else.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: February 21, 2017, 12:37:59 am »

The war vet just gets an automatic Night Kill attempt on anyone who physically visits them. So, it just depends on the exact situation.

For example, an Agent protected by an alien's Personal Shield could go to the War Vet and get an investigation result on them and use up the shield's protection by absorbing the War Vet's attack.

And, no, generally speaking we don't have any bulletproof guards in this game. Not without some specific funky tech trading going on, at least.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: February 21, 2017, 12:47:02 am »

The Guardian guard.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: February 21, 2017, 01:15:20 am »

The Guardian guard.

Oh, yeah, I see what you mean. A Guardian would still be shot by the War Vet. They don't die when preventing a night kill against their target, but they are just as vulnerable to a night kill targeted at themselves as anyone else.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: February 21, 2017, 05:36:53 am »

The Guardian guard.

Oh, yeah, I see what you mean. A Guardian would still be shot by the War Vet. They don't die when preventing a night kill against their target, but they are just as vulnerable to a night kill targeted at themselves as anyone else.
This is some good scenery to imagine :P
I wonder how much fun you have writing the PMs for folks?

Also in regards to that one Spore Spreader which gives obvious plants: Can the death be anyway prevented if the lynch goes awry or otherwise?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: February 21, 2017, 09:54:51 am »

The Guardian guard.

Huh.  So a Guardian/Guardian loop is bulletproof?
Sigtext

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: February 21, 2017, 10:52:47 am »

Also in regards to that one Spore Spreader which gives obvious plants: Can the death be anyway prevented if the lynch goes awry or otherwise?

The SS must be Lynched that day to win. Something like an Advanced Assassin Bot killing them would prevent them from winning.

The Guardian guard.

Yeah. As long as there was only one night kill attempt, anyway. Guardians only prevent one attack. Only the Heroic Guard can block multiple in the same night.  So a Guardian could protect another guard from a War Vet's attack, but that guard would still suffer the normal effects of protecting the War Vet if they were targeted.
Come play Mafia with us!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: February 22, 2017, 06:38:15 am »

The Guardian guard.

Yeah. As long as there was only one night kill attempt, anyway. Guardians only prevent one attack. Only the Heroic Guard can block multiple in the same night.  So a Guardian could protect another guard from a War Vet's attack, but that guard would still suffer the normal effects of protecting the War Vet if they were targeted.
Wow. This imagery.
If someone was hit by a plasma bomb, and there was a heroic guard, they'd go all "GET AWAY, GET BACK" and thus save everyone. u_u

The SS must be Lynched that day to win. Something like an Advanced Assassin Bot killing them would prevent them from winning.
Wow ._. Pretty risky but also pretty "fun" as a dopp-aid possibly.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Mood: Cautiously Optomistic
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #1720 on: November 11, 2020, 04:20:10 pm »

I have a grievance with the rules for PM26.

The error was a bummer, but it could have happened to anybody. Though perhaps it should have been that Web was informed I didn't see them, rather than I did? It's debatable. But it probably would have worked better for the flavortext, which infact seems pretty important, as I used spotting Tric's dog to testify my role as Detective. Just commenting on it to give my 2c.

My primary concern was that Luckyowl was permitted to post direct quotes from deadchat wholesale without inhibition. The reason that mod posts cant be coppied this way is because it removes suspension of disbelief. I feel the same applies here to post all this:

Well 4maskwolf told me that if the answer to that question is a no. Then that means the dopp tried to target web last night. He also said that it dammed Roseheart pointless N2 information.

and here is 4maskwolf whole arguement against Roseheart.

Alright fine I'll make webadict's case for him.

1. Roseheart's role is a much more powerful scum role than Juicebox's, so if Roseheart was scum it would make sense why the telepath was performing the NK (as compared to, say, someone like you, whose role requires no actions and would thus be a preferable killer for the dopps)
2. Roseheart refuses to provide N2 results as a role whose results are now irrelevant, which smacks of a scum who can't come up with a good fakeclaim (if I was roseheart I would have claimed investigating Caz)
3. Roseheart doesn't even appear to be reading the thread, pushing an agenda about how webadict is trying to lynch Caz next when webadict is Caz's staunchest defender and someone he actively confided in.
4. Even beyond the refusal to provide N2 results, Roseheart has just been really weird ever since Web accused him, and doesn't seem interested in finding scum so much as just not getting lynched. Even after web claimed something that was contrary to Roseheart's claim, Rose didn't start accusing or pushing him until Webadict basically demanded it.

On the off chance Roseheart isn't scum, I'd say Persus is the next most likely: his claims (protecting Juicebox then webadict) is a convenient claim for a dopp guard (actual actions: protecting Juicebox, attempting to kill webadict).

And pretend that maybe they faked it[or deceived Wolf into writing it], that's a huge burden to put on a mafia player. In this case luckyowl is a newbie and not likely to have pulled it off, unless they were cherrypicking(pretending to be a beginner for advantage) which wouldn't have been a very impressive win.

Otherwise, shit happens. Good work. Great game. GG

(Send me a link to any spooky short stories you've written, I'm sure I'll gobble them up.)

Edit: And thanks for the cool ending. You delivered.
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: November 11, 2020, 04:33:01 pm »

Honestly, I had more of a problem with the use of flavor to confirm actions. Most games with fluff have an explicit ban on sharing any of the flavor sent to you by the mod until postgame because it bypasses the purpose of the “no quoting the mod”: by providing flavor you grant your claims extra credence from the moderator, and the amount of time and effort required to fake it is prohibitive to the scum team to try and counter flavor claims.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: November 11, 2020, 04:44:53 pm »

Yeah I agree that that post should have violated the rules.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: November 11, 2020, 04:51:23 pm »

Yeah I agree that that post should have violated the rules.
I also agree. That should never have been allowed. I would be okay with a claim flavorban.

I am not sure if quoting the dead is against any rules, though. It doesn't feel wrong in the same way, since it's the equivalent to quoting a player. I mean, you can't really use it the same way, can you? Hmm. I dunno.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: November 11, 2020, 05:18:53 pm »

Glad you enjoyed the writing!

Medium is a bit tricky in some ways. It is reliant on luck (the medium living long enough to have two with useful power roles die and have info to give) and on the skill of the medium. A scum medium can really put words into the mouths of dead townsfolk if they're good, and that can add a lot of weight to what they say. So I'm a bit torn on the whole 'quoting the dead' thing. It's strong if everyone is sure the words are from the dead person, but strong both in favor of town or scum depending on who the medium is.

An early medium claim with powerful pro-town info like that is pretty rare. I'd say this is probably one of the most influential cases of a medium I've seen in a game. Heightened by the small number of players, really.

If Paranormals keep getting such small numbers of players I may need to rethink the weights on some stuff. It was really all built back when getting 12 or more players was the norm, and that has a huge impact on how much any given power role really has on the game. Plus the loss of any one player (town or scum) has less of an impact in a larger game.

However, the ban on quoting flavor like the dog is probably wise. I don't think I usually see people use it like that, which is surprising because I'm sure I've had various flavor tidbits between night actions before that could be used. Maybe I used to just limit those to death scenes where it mattered less?

I agree that it certainly adds much more weight to people's claims than I'd like. You want a claim, real or fake, to have the same basic weight based on mechanics as any other claim.

So I'll have to tweak the rules on that. And probably do a bit less cross-flavor posting like that in the future.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117