Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 135109 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion
« Reply #1530 on: August 13, 2012, 11:16:52 pm »

That's exactly what I was thinking, Book.

So...Deadman Bomb. What are people's thoughts on it? Too random, yes. But what's the best way to fix it? Make the targets chosen by the user? That's more balanced, but a bit anti-thematic. Bombs aren't that precise.
How is that anti-thematic? An alien with a suicide bomb can't make it targetable? He's a psychopathic techie with lots of gear. I THINK he can manage to make his deadman bomb shoot out little darts of poison at death or something. Heck, maybe he's a sharp shot and can get off a few kills before he dies. Change it to Last Stand if you want, and make it Call of Duty. Point is, this guy could easily kill a few people if he wanted.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: August 13, 2012, 11:29:58 pm »

I suggest one of two options:

1) Blow up the last person to vote and one player of the bomb holder's choice.
2) Blow up the last two people to vote for the bomb holder.

I would've loved to have Option 1 at my disposal as a Survivor, but I think Option 2 is better. Instead of forcing only one player to face the certainty of death, it makes two players face it, which is arguably more effective at what the Deadman Bomb is supposed to do. I.E., force people to reconsider whether lynching the bomb holder is such a good idea after all.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: August 13, 2012, 11:31:30 pm »

Who would you have chosen?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: August 13, 2012, 11:44:34 pm »

If I had the choice of blowing up one person I would've picked town, since if, in the town's infinite brilliance they decided to lynch me and force me to lose, I would've done the same to them.

I probably would've held Hapah hostage since he was available to tie the vote.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: August 13, 2012, 11:46:03 pm »

I think two directed kills is too much - too powerful for a small tech slot, even if it's only at death.

I agree the second kill being random ends up being too random. How about it just being a single kill thing? Like it works at night: kills your killer, and that's it... Makes it weaker rather than stronger, but it's a last ditch thing anyway.

...perhaps make a special case exception: if there are only two other people alive, it kills both; so, still not random, and works exactly like today in the case the game ends with an Ext + 2 townies, the Ext still can win a scorched Earth victory.

Other possibilities: it hits the first and last person to vote him (still seems too powerful); or it hits the last person voting him, and one random person from three of the alien's choice (so it's less random, but still a bit, like aiming at a crowd at long range - he picks three, one of those three dies)...
Edited to add: another possibility: kills the last person to vote the alien, and the last person voting that person (target). Would still make it nonrandom while less deterministic, would match the flavour ("someone standing close to them"), and if no one is voting the target, only one dies. Balances out nicely perhaps.

PPE: Ninja'd by Jim. I still think two deaths deterministically is much too powerful, and gives it unwarranted deterrent power.

On other things, two things came to mind reading the game PMs and post-game chat:

a) I'm not sure it's clear if I have a mindshield whether I know someone attempted to block me and failed because of it. Also speaking of flavour, I was blocked by a warden but no chains (but Meph clarified over PM that this was an accident, so no big deal).

b) Toaster mentioned the replicator can't be used during the day? I think this is not optimal. Given the stated purpose of the replicator ("Allows the Alien more flexibility to respond to changing situations"), I think it should be a free action at any time. I could decide to make two small techs immediately on D1, or hold my last replicator juice to use only if it looks like I'm going to get lynched (so Toaster could have made a stun orb last day if it looked like he would survive, and a bomb otherwise). Also, can it be used to make two identical items? Say two shields, or one shield N1 and another N2? If so, what happens if I make two deadman bombs and they explode at the same time? That sounds really cool.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:52:18 pm by Bookthras »
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: August 13, 2012, 11:51:43 pm »

Maybe the DMB should be moved up a tech slot? Or add a weaker version as small tech?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: August 14, 2012, 12:30:21 am »

I think it (DMB) is just going to be very hard to balance. Too weak and no one will take it, too strong and it'll be standard kit for every Alien (or at least every Exty).

Has it ever had as big an impact as it did this game? The game was decided by two small tech slots and Lady Luck.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: August 14, 2012, 12:38:43 am »

Yeah it's probably not the biggest issue to fix.  The only reason it even became a problem was out of sheer bad luck.  The reason it hasn't happened this badly in the past is because it's so very unlikely to be this favorable to the town in the first place.

Also Paranormal 21 had two aliens both with DMBs.  The high quantity of DMBs probably didn't help matters.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: August 14, 2012, 04:24:09 am »

What I suggest:
Large DMB: medium slot, kills the last guy to vote and a person of the alien's choice;
Normal DMB: small slot, kills the last guy OR two people if they're the last ones.

Also, Meph, please make it impossible for the Exty to win a scorched earth victory (i.e. he MUST be alive to win). Otherwise dumb things can happen, and it is stupid from the flavor standpoint.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 04:39:17 am by Dariush »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: August 14, 2012, 06:24:49 am »

Also, Meph, please make it impossible for the Exty to win a scorched earth victory (i.e. he MUST be alive to win). Otherwise dumb things can happen, and it is stupid from the flavor standpoint.
So make it so there's no reason at all to take the DMB except spite?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: August 14, 2012, 06:37:10 am »

Implying there is right now.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: August 14, 2012, 07:49:41 am »

How does it make no sense? I assume that a kill-crazy alien wouldn't mind going out by killing everyone. Maybe it's some sort of Predator ritual? You don't know his life! It CAN make sense, and it avoids ties. I do the same thing for sks because they don't stand a chance otherwise.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: August 14, 2012, 07:54:51 am »

The Exterminator's goal is to kill all the Dopps and leave no other witnesses.  If everyone is dead, didn't he finish his goal?

The DMB on an Exty is used for two things- blackmail and a guaranteed win at 3p LYLO.

Also, the replicator should at least be labeled as only usable at night.  I almost screwed myself over that.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: August 14, 2012, 08:33:59 am »

Implying there is right now.
You literally said the reason in this exact quote: it allows the exterminator to win after dying when there are 2 or fewer others left.  An action which makes you win is not an action taken out of spite.

The "blackmail" factor... the amount of leverage you get doesn't actually change based on whether you have a DMB or not (assuming you haven't demonstrated another tech ability).  Either way all the town knows is that you're threatening you have one.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: August 14, 2012, 09:03:30 am »

Hm. On that note, maybe replace EMP Pulse Bomb with improved (maybe targeted) DMB? For the same reason I proposed replacing Psychic Pulser - it's just way too weak compared to alternative choices.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 117