Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bones & craftsdwarf question  (Read 474 times)

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
Bones & craftsdwarf question
« on: April 30, 2009, 04:01:39 am »

I've noticed something odd in bone decorating.

Simply,
1. When there are 10 camel bones in a heap in stockpile, dwarf takes all 10 and decorates one object (even small ring) with all 10 bones.
2. Bones of one kind don't stack with others. So after butchering all the dogs i have a stockpile with heaps of 5 bones in each square. Why?
3. AND there's no difference in price between object decorated with 10 bones and object decorated with ONE bone that left from rotten camel leg (as ultramighty unbelievably agile dwarves can't control the punch power being in soldier mode i have such a bursted takes).

So there's no need to raise camels or oxen for 10 bones, dogs are enough.
Finis sanctificat media.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bones & craftsdwarf question
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 06:44:41 am »

Not for decorating but there is if you are making bolts.
I think that works similar to how cooking/brewing works - you get a multiple of however many was in the stack.

Assuming the bonestacks aaren't scattered (by explosive dismemberment) elephant bolts seem to come in stacks or around 80, whilst dog bone bolts come in stacks of 25... :)

As for 2) and 3) I think the answer is because you don't have a stack of 5 dog bones. You actually have a single "dog bone" item with a size of 5, which is why 1x5bone stack will fit in 1 tile while 1x3bone stack and 1x2bone stack needs 2 tiles to store - they're two different items.

Similarly for decorating all you've done is used your bone item for decorating, the size of it never seems to be considered.

This would also explain why you can't restack things like bolts - you never could "stack" bolts int he first place as the original 25 iron bolts were really just 1 bolt item with a size of 25. Shooting them decreased the size and made new 1size bolts but they're separate items so you can't (currently) restack them. Because they were never really stacked in the first place. :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 06:50:06 am by Kazindir »

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 06:46:34 am »

For the second question, stacking isn't implemented yet. So a stack of 10 bones will never be set with another stack of 10, even if they're the same type. This becomes a problem with bolts, which end up everywhere in stacks of 1 after a few battles.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 12:24:48 pm »

That re-stacking isnt in has technical causes because the origin of every bone is tracked down to the individual. If you look at coins you see why stacking might be tricky. A coin has according to toady creation date, material, where it is made, how much its worth, qualitymodifiers, by whom the coin is made etc. its similiar at bones (and almost anything) so you cant just say this 5 Bones and this 5 bones are a stack of 10 since a "stack" is currently a number of items that are exactly the same -> the game just thinks: Ah a number wellcrafted bolts which are all from the same dog ... .

The problems at bins was iirc that they only store items of the same type (only bolts, only stones, only blocks).
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.