Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 52

Author Topic: Left 4 Dead 1 & 2: The Sacrifice is out! All things Left 4 Dead 66% off!  (Read 62581 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Left 4 Dead: "Pills here!" Free Friday! Preload now!
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 07:22:46 pm »

This was a true masterstroke.

Nobody had heard of the game before the sale weekend (when it sold 3000%, not a typo, what it had sold previously).  And then it got everyone's attention.  But afterwards, well, everyone's all "Is this really good?  I want it but the price is back up and I don't know if it's worth that much."  Presto, free trial.

I think I'm gonna buy it after this X_X
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 07:38:53 pm »

The pistol(s) are awesome. I got around 96% of my kills with them. Steam is telling me I also have 100% accuracy, as opposed to 15% with the shotgun. The math has to be wrong, though. Four shots, three kills is not 15%. Neither is it possible to get 3% of those four shots as headshots.

I suppose I could restart and go after the Akimbo Assassin achievement.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 07:58:40 pm »

Let me guess. You play as Louis?

I play as Louis, the true character of kings.

Unfortunately, I have L4D on 360, so I can't join in unless some others who play on Xbox-Live want to hook up and play.

I swear, I never use the pills, I forget they are even there.

I like to go dual-pistol, and I usually get the most headshots. That and meleeing zombies/hunters with gasoline cans. If I find a gas can I carry it with me until I am forced to use it, and melee every enemy I see with it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 08:02:33 pm »

Louis is the best.
Shoes...

Vodalian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 08:40:42 pm »

Apparently, it will be 40% off.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 11:14:46 pm »

Yeah, it's 40% off.  Like 23 or 28 dollars I believe.

In honor of the free weekend, and my return to Left 4 Dead, I watched 28 Weeks Later for the first time.  You know, the first one had sad parts, but this one was just heartbreaking throughout.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 11:19:40 pm »

Zoe is the best character simply for the fact that she gets the "I'm calling zombie bullshit" line in the elevator.

Though Louis does have the best screams to spam.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 11:33:22 pm »

Is it necessary to have a mic for this to be played effectively? I'm almost done downloading the game now for the free game time tomorrow, but this computer (the only comp I have capable of gaming online) doesn't recognize mics.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 11:35:00 pm »

Is it necessary to have a mic for this to be played effectively? I'm almost done downloading the game now for the free game time tomorrow, but this computer (the only comp I have capable of gaming online) doesn't recognize mics.

Nope. You simply need to be able to react to others who do have mics. Teamwork is essential.

A lot of the fun, for me, is getting drunk and being silly with other players on the mics, though.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2009, 12:47:23 am »

My first online game, people were a little chatty early on, like the first two minutes, then they all clammed up for the rest of the game.  And one person went "idle" which apparently meant "bot controlled".

But this is an AWESOME game.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2009, 03:14:15 am »

Do not listen to these heathens. A mic is the most sacred tool with which to appease the almighty AI director. He shuns players with no mics.

But enough "Cult of the AI director".

As long as you can follow orders and somehow tell us you got hunters and smokers on you, you'll do fine.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2009, 04:12:09 am »

Anyone who doesn't already know a fucking Hunter just pounced a person that should be in formation at all times at anyrate has to be the biggest asshat I would ever play with.

And it doesn't take long to know that a Smoker just appeared when you hear Louis screaming to get that Rule 34 off of him.

Also, yeeeah...gonna try an' get this game for Steam, because you don't need to pay any subscription to play online. If I do get it, rest assured, I know the few rules to follow when playing the game, seeing as how I have it for the 360.

Survivors

One: DO NOT FUCK WITH THE WITCH. EVER. IF YOUR PLAYING ON EXPERT, SHE WILL FUCK YOU UP.

Two: Be attentive, watch out for your team, be there to knock off ambushing infected, and be helpful and polite, and don't annoy anyone to much. (Though I might Mic Spam a little until we get to the Final Horde. Then I'll be to busy running away from the TWO Tanks.)

Three: Stay in formation at all times. If you get broken up, regroup ASAP.

Four: No man gets left behind.

Infected

One: Suicidal attacks are also often surprise attacks. Use them well.

Two: Use confusion, mainly when a HORDE is surrounding the enemy to your advantage. Common infected are simply meat sacks and decoys. Pick off the one further from the main group.

Three: Don't fuck up with the Tank. The team will HATE you for it.

Four: Don't bum rush Bill. Francis is the one that deserves to be mauled.

All very basic, easy, and simple rules to remember.

Also, PILLS HERE!

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Left 4 Dead: "Pills here!" Free Friday! Play now!
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 04:31:48 am »

I knew it, Valve put it on discount just to mess with me. Well, then again I paid 20€ for Orange box, so I guess I'm pretty much even, paying 50€ for six awesome games. Though in these two weekends I could've got all of them for 27 €.

What's done is done and blowing zombies up is good fun.

Oh wow, there's a hefty load of new stats on L4D now and apparently a blog update about it.

EDIT: How come over 70% of players have the Outbreak-achievement? (Catch a rare stain of infection and pass it on?)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 04:44:15 am by LASD »

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2009, 05:58:05 am »

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that one is given when you play as infected in versus and hit a survivor for the first time. At least that's when I got it after it had randomly been reset a couple of updates ago. As such it shouldn't really be surprising that so many have it.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2009, 06:35:08 am »

I''ll play a bit later today, see if Velvet Assasin is the Thief semi-sequel it's hyped up to be.

<a few hours later>

And it isn't. Between the controls so clunky that they might as well be powered by a steam engine, Graphics being a mix of Gears Brown and Unreal Plastic with more bloom shaders then an umbrella store, bad peformace, worse stability, gameplay based less on sneaking and more on backtracking to your nearest bullet time drugs dispenser for every enemy you encounter, a collision system completely out of sync with the rest of the level geometry, arbitrary item collection sidequests for totaly useless upgrades and a story that can be summed up with two words: "kill germans", i think the game would have benefited from having its release date postponed to 2011.

In other news, CA managed to turn Empire: Total War into Empire: Total Disaster with their most recent patch, by fixing "several crashes" and addressing "numerous balance problems" by breaking the battle AI to the point where 1v10 victories by doing absolutely nothing become viable, adding graphical glitches in places that were fine before, making forts deathtraps for whoever defends them by way of pathing bugs, making armies prohibitively expensive, forcing the above 1v10 scenarios, adding a penalty for owning a large ammount of territories which makes the World Domination mode unplayable and changing diplomacy so that by turn 5 you are a war with everything else no matter what you do.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 08:39:02 am by Asehujiko »
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 52