Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Destroyed in a minute...

(1/5) > >>

Wh1tefang12:
 I picked what believed to be the best spot possible(for me). It was a Serene forest with a river, magma pipe, and it was heavily forested. I start to build my tunnel and i get the message so and so burned to death i assumed that he fell in the magma. Then i got the message again, I look at the magma pipe and the forest is on fire and it was like a small explosion killing all the trees, and leaving ash in its wake. Everyone died except one and he when insane. All of this was caused by a stupid imp. The best place for me and now its a pile of ash. Has this happened to anyone else, and was there anyway i could have prevented this?

Raging Mouse:
Losing is fun. That's why we laugh all the time, here on the DF forums. I believe I can safely state that some variation of your disaster has happened uncountable times to many, many DF players.

There are no sure-fire prevention methods except to remove the danger completely (I E embark to a site without magma), but that's boring and elven. Instead, embark with one or two crossbowdwarves and a bunch of bolts. Conscript them immediately and station them at the magma pipe. Imp kebab coming up! The fire men and other nastier magma dwellers might still be a problem however....

kotekzot:
imps usually keep to themselves. even if you start right on top of the pipe you should have enough time to get out of the danger zone.

Wahad:
You can always channel a fire-ditch in case of emergency. Sure, you'll lose whoever (or whatever - stupid horse) was at the magma pipe, but losses are minimal if everyone's on the right side.

DennyTom:

--- Quote from: Wahad on May 01, 2009, 07:58:38 am ---You can always channel a fire-ditch in case of emergency. Sure, you'll lose whoever (or whatever - stupid horse) was at the magma pipe, but losses are minimal if everyone's on the right side.

--- End quote ---

True. Every time when starting near open magma vent, immidiately dig small channel around your starting position and build everything underground or cap the vent with obsidian. It does not take so much time and your dwarves will be in much safer position.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version