Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War! (Huh!) (Yeah!)  (Read 2093 times)

Ohtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War! (Huh!) (Yeah!)
« on: November 12, 2009, 07:44:12 pm »

Does anyone know a good way to make war more likely between two factions? Or, better still, between multiple branches of the same entity? (i.e. One human kingdom against another)
"He who fights with monsters should take care lest he become a monster… when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you…"
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: War! (Huh!) (Yeah!)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 08:46:09 pm »

For civs of different types, give them opposing ethics.  You can get an idea of which ones tend to provoke wars by looking up a world's wars in Legends, where you can find the cause of the war.

I don't think anyone's figured out how to make civs of the same race start wars with each other.  People have managed to turn civs hostile against each other via Adv. Mode hijinks, though.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 08:06:44 am »

You could also ninja separate but identical versions of the same creature and slightly change ethics (AKA, evil humans, saintly dwarves, etc.)
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 08:11:16 am »

If they both have pantheon religion types, you give them completely opposite spheres and they will go to war over religion as well.

Check the wiki for the spheres vs other spheres. Some of obvious, like ORDER and CHAOS, DEATH vs HEALING,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 12:47:33 pm »

You could also ninja separate but identical versions of the same creature and slightly change ethics (AKA, evil humans, saintly dwarves, etc.)

Is there an advantage to doing that instead of just having multiple entities for the same creature?

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 09:01:00 am »

Making hostilities is kind of easy if your civilization steals other civilization's stuff.

Don't know about war, though. Never actually seen it. Is there a major difference in fortress mode?