Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF vanilla character scene  (Read 2668 times)

jimjulius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF vanilla character scene
« on: May 02, 2009, 07:53:14 pm »

I've been a DF player for about a year now, and I have to say that after learning to translate the characters I have found the surreal quality of the scenes depicted to be very encouraging for the imagination of the interpreter. I was messing around with the curses fonts, and ended up depicting a scene from one of my forts in a very evil temperate forest. The forest happened to be up to the gills in werewolves, which led to a very interesting embark year, and subsequent tantrums. Let me know what you think.

p.s, new to this posting images business, so bear with me if it doesn't work.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF vanilla character scene
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 09:42:10 pm »

Made me grin. This style would be well suited for a DF webcomic/epic tale of destruction and catastophe. MOAR!

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 11:20:37 pm »

MOAR!

Seconded.

i toyed with the idea of a DF webcomic a while back, never actually made anything tho...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 11:35:05 pm »

MOAR!
Thirded, we need a good writer though. At least one of the characters has to be named Urist.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 01:14:41 am »

It's great. I like the surreal look.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 03:45:56 am »

needs to be made into a webcomic
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

jimjulius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 12:18:21 pm »

Thanks for the positive comments guys. I hadn't really thought of doing it as a continuous web comic, but since it's been mentioned... mayhaps there could be more to this. At the moment I'm neck-deep in engineering exams though, and will be for the next few weeks. I'd have to sit down and have a think about how this would work on the long-term. Some interesting ideas though... If anyone has thoughts about whether this hypothetical comic should be one long story, a series of "comedy" sketches, or a mixture of the two, I'd be glad to listen to suggestions.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 11:00:19 pm »

A series of comedy sketches would be nice. With the occasional longer stories, for diversion.
Or vice-versa.  :)

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 12:14:42 am »

I vote for an epic story involving a group of dwarves struggling to survive. And not one of them shall be named Urist.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 12:16:52 am »

I vote for an epic story involving a group of dwarves struggling to survive. And not one of them shall be named Urist.
Traders: Erm, Urist, was it?
 Kogan: Nope, nobody 'ere named Urist.
 Traders: Oh. Are you sure? This is Guildedbars, right?
 Kogan: Yup. Nobody 'ere named Urist.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 02:18:00 am »

MOAR!
Thirded, we need a good writer though. At least one of the characters has to be named Urist.
Traders: Erm, Urist, was it?
 Kogan: Nope, nobody 'ere named Urist.
 Traders: Oh. Are you sure? This is Guildedbars, right?
 Kogan: Yup. Nobody 'ere named Urist.

See? We have punchlines already.  ;D I imagine a thread for strip ideas could solve any writer problem, should it arise (don't think jim ever said he wouldn't write it).
That said, an ongoing story following a fortress would be my vote. But joke-centric, obviously.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 07:05:25 am »

Holy crap, I whole heartily agree with what everyone else says but please no story about another fortress that's in {terrifying/hunted/sinister} with {elves/wolfs/skeletons/carp} in a {desert/glacier/etc}. Unless of course you somehow happen to make it interesting.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

jimjulius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 08:39:44 am »

I agree Tahin, the "Everybody in DF is called Urist" joke died a death a long time ago. I would probably have called the dwarf in the test pic something else, if I had been bothered to boot up DF and have a scroll through my units page  ::).

As for writing, yes, I think I will have a bash at it myself. I already have an idea for a plot; a seven part tale of woe and miss-adventure. With a definite beginning and end in mind, all that needs done is to determine those tricky "middle" parts.

What I think I will do is to write up some rough storyboards for the whole thing, then see how the first instalment looks when drawn up. If I decide I'm not up to the challenge, or everyone hates it, I'd be happy to pass the mantle on to someone with a bit more experience.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 05:01:21 pm »

Holy crap, I whole heartily agree with what everyone else says but please no story about another fortress that's in {terrifying/hunted/sinister} with {elves/wolfs/skeletons/carp} in a {desert/glacier/etc}. Unless of course you somehow happen to make it interesting.

This is treason.

You mentioned nothing about elephants.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 08:38:38 pm »

This is treason.

You mentioned nothing about elephants.

Unfortunatly elephants are not as dangerous as before.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"
Pages: [1] 2