Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "real" island  (Read 1442 times)

P-Luke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"real" island
« on: May 04, 2009, 02:28:05 pm »

Lately I seem to have been obsessed with creating lake, island or ocean cities (I prefer using humans rather then dwarfs, sorry for the blasphemy :p), yet I've never found a "real" island: that is, a fortress with water-only tiles on all 4 sides.
Is this even possible without artificially flooding your map from an aquafier or other water source?

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "real" island
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 02:44:10 pm »

if you found one, and had no edge for wagons and migrants, that would impact play a bit. and there are no boats. i suspect its hard-coded to not give 'true' islands for that reason, even if they are islands on a larger scale.

P-Luke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 03:04:18 pm »

Yes I expect the same. which is sad really, as I have no problems with having a fortress that can not be traded with or receive immigrants, even if that means I'll have to kill nearly all moody dwarfs.

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 03:30:45 pm »

Have you tried the world painter?

P-Luke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 03:36:50 pm »

Yes, but for some reason I can only create extreme maps: it only gives me ocean layers of 0 elevation and superpeaks of 51647 elevation.. and after trying different colors and settings for an hour I decided to "screw it" :p
But I think that will still generate more then a single tiled island, though I can't say for sure.

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 03:39:17 pm »

Yes, but for some reason I can only create extreme maps: it only gives me ocean layers of 0 elevation and superpeaks of 51647 elevation.. and after trying different colors and settings for an hour I decided to "screw it" :p
But I think that will still generate more then a single tiled island, though I can't say for sure.

I'm trying right now, but the requirements for a controllable civ are getting to be a bother.

MiamiBryce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 06:24:28 pm »

I've seen them, twice.  Sometimes they don't look like they're islands, but they are.

Before you set off make sure you have at least one female and the female is compatible with at least one other male and make sure those two have no work to do but dwarven dirty dancing.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 07:21:05 pm »

I plan on doing a story of this senario sometime in the near future.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 08:38:42 pm »

...ocean layers of 0 elevation and superpeaks of 51647 elevation...

this sounds awsome! i can imagine th' dwarfs starting at the top, and over several dozen generations, just keep digging down and down and down, all in a bid to try to get to the water to escape this hell island. every dozen or so levels, more farms are made, along with shops and beds and such. then the upper layers are slowly blocked off as the fort mass migrates down. migrants are forced to stay near the top, unable to get deep enough to have a chance to catch up.

this honestly sounds creepy as shit o_o

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 08:53:08 pm »

dwarven dirty dancing.
I very much doubt he needs to have military dwarves sparring on an inaccessible island.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 09:03:03 pm »

I remember back in 38c, I had a fort on a rather large natural island formed by two or three rivers and a lake.

Try looking for locations like that.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 03:24:39 am »

I used to have a save (since deleted, sorry) of an embark on an island.

I think it was called "Island life" maybe you can search the DFFD or something for it.

I never really played because the embark area is kind of large so it ran very slow on my computer.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

sdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 06:00:01 am »

Sorry if i misunderstood but what about the volcano islands?

From the few ive made they were water-locked all around. Would that be what you're after?

*edit* I checked out a volcano island earlier and it is water locked but you cant see that when you're actually playing =s
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 11:12:42 am by sdu »

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 11:45:06 am »

I've found numerous island in the ocean, and a few in lakes/rivers, but they are all way to big to cover all shore in a single embark, so you will still get the dwarven caravan and immigrants from a side, which isn't bad, but again it's not totally surrounded.

In case someone gets a surrounded island I want to make a path over the bottom of the ocean to the side of the map, and try to keep it open long enough for migrants/caravans to go through (if they come at all) Preferably this path should be made with pumps, moses-style but a clear glass tunnel is also acceptable.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 12:29:58 pm »

I've found numerous island in the ocean, and a few in lakes/rivers, but they are all way to big to cover all shore in a single embark, so you will still get the dwarven caravan and immigrants from a side, which isn't bad, but again it's not totally surrounded.

In case someone gets a surrounded island I want to make a path over the bottom of the ocean to the side of the map, and try to keep it open long enough for migrants/caravans to go through (if they come at all) Preferably this path should be made with pumps, moses-style but a clear glass tunnel is also acceptable.

Dude that is so awesome.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote