Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Puzzle Fortress -- Challengers Needed  (Read 7060 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzle Fortress -- Challengers Needed
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 12:59:30 pm »

I ended up wasting two years setting up a more-or-less functional fort, which was of course totally unneeded, but whatevs. Might make reclaims easier. In the end i spent a year and a half building my expansion, intersecting and ruining the previous efforts.

I hope the file works:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7390

The ways in and out are noted by lay pewter floors, should be difficult to miss. Required: find a way in; chose the right way out. Bonus content: find out who Ukaoxo was and what his claim to fame is. Work out what the silver lever does. Loot the medical supplies. Get some spiffy clothes.

Most of the fortress proper should be accessible, if you can find a way past the brass bridge (adventure mode doesn't seem to want to let me use it?). Nothing really interesting to see there, though.

There's a human adventurer available on the file, but he's illiterate, so i don't recommend using him. He's kind of overkill for this mission (well, for pretty much any mission) anyway.

Note on reclaim: there was some pretty crazy shit going on: many of the prev. fortress dwarf women started out pregnant and gave birth over the first year. The babies were all listed as part of _my_ group, but didn't count for unlocking moods. And the mothers didn't care about them, so they all died off. I had over a dozen burials in the first year, with invaders off and a popcap of 10 or so. As soon as i arrived, a bunch of the local dwarfs swarmed my wagon, apparently to grab food and drink. I think most of them started out hungry/thirsty, but didn't get hungry again, so that was a one-time effect. And finally, both of my dogs got trained for war, although i had no dwarf with animal training active - it looks like it was done by a hunter from the old fort.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:25:53 pm by Larix »

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 11:20:22 pm »

Man, if I were even remotely familiar with Adventure mode, I'd want to take a crack at this, if only for the chance to win and build Dwarf Fortress' equivalent of the Tomb of Horrors
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 03:08:31 pm »

Ok... downloading now...

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 04:38:27 pm »

I actually downloaded and solved this fort when I saw it on DFFD before I discovered this thread. At the end, all I found was an empty chest and a staircase to the outside. Am I missing something? At any rate, I guess I could design a puzzle fortress of my own...

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 05:11:02 pm »

Downloading now.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 05:55:31 pm »

Mr Willsauce, that is pretty much it. There was supposed to be a legendary reindeer bone shield lying around, but ever with DFHack I was never able to get it to stay where I wanted it to. This game/world can certainly support MULTIPLE PUZZLES FORTRESSES. (That goes for you too, Tevish, I'd love to travel through your Tomb of Horrors).

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 06:04:48 pm »

Diary of Professor Luslem -- Chapter One: An Inauspicious Start

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They called me mad when I suggested visiting the new puzzle fortress. Impudence! I'll show them!

The scrolls and tomes all suggested that the fotress, Bridgedearth, was on the western foothills of the Decent Point. The other scholars had argued that the place must have many bridges across the earth. What point would there be in that! Nay, I said it must be that there is in fact a dearth of bridges.

I set out, dressed in my finest silk robes, clasping my copper walking stick (pointed to help gain footing in unsteady terrain). For victules, I brought skunk meat, a life-long weakness of mine.

From the hamlet of Spottedshot I travelled for a day along the eastern road, gaining succour from the night in Nestleshows. Joint-faculty expeditions had failed to proved the existence of Bogey Men, but I didn't want to take any chances.

There I met a farmer whom I tried to recruit as a baggage handler. The lass, Oxut, was a fiesty one. Said her second name was Punchmouths. I swore that day that were I to survive the puzzle fortress I would bring back a gift for this Oxut. She let me stay the night, if you know what I mean, and regaled me with tales of a great Rockstar. She said that the metallic thud of his bronze great axe cleaving through the breastplates of his foes sounded like the sliding of a tray of buns out of the oven, the mechanical call of bakers. I admired her poetic turn of phrase, and I asked her again if she'd join me and still the answer was no. One day.

The next morning I set off, heading south. I thought more about the Rockstar that the woman had mentioned. What was his name, sapir, sassy, no-- Sasir! Yes, that was the name of the great Puzzler to survive the Puzzling Crypts. Word had it, he still lived in these parts. I considered seeking him out: he would undoubtedly be able to provide a great font of puzzling knowledge to this endeavour. But then the cold creep of jealousy spread beneath my skin. And let him take the credit! Not by the hairs on my chinny-chin-chin!

But then, as I took further steps I thought about all the dangers of the night. The mountain lions and Twilight Women. Perhaps with hired muscle I might succumb to a lonely death on a distant mountain. But would he wish to travel out again?

I was contemplating this, who should I see stroll into town than Sasir himself.

"Look you!" I said, "Be a good sport and carry my bags while I figure out the next puzzle fortress, eh?"

Alas, Sasir was highly unreasonable and refused my offer, saying that he would be the one to lead and had no need for my protection in the wilderness. He didn't look too bright so maybe he mistook my offer. After failing to sway him with the offer of joint-lectureship in the upcoming talks promoting my eventual book of the journey, I headed
south.

It didn't take me long to reach the northern steppes of the Decent Point, the central mountain range of the land. The going was slow and I soon decided to walk the lowlands to the west, sheltering at night in the mountain beside a warm campfire. This circuitous route was making quick work of my skunk supplies. Luckily water was easy to come by from the many fresh rivers of the land (and I was lucky that I learned to swim as a boy back in the aqueducts of the mountain homes.

As I started travelling south through the Considerate Steppes, I began to feel uneasy. Was there somebody watching my progress? A few hours later I heard a crunch of leaves behind me: I turned to see further up the slope, a giant lion! I immediately stopped to consider my options, and seeing a ditch beside me, I dove down into it, and crawling through the mud I made my escape. I thanked the gods for blessing me with a keen analytical mind, a lesser fool would have run or fought the beast- I lived without a scratch on me.

On the third day, I arrived in Bridgedearth to find my theory was correct: there was a dearth of bridges. Indeed there was a dearth of anything! Could it be that the puzzle fortress was in fact held in the mountain halls of the Puzzling Crypts? It seemed almost too obvious but that was the only possibility remaining.

I headed east.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 06:21:06 pm »

I think I've come up with a reliable method for preserving items in a particular spot for adventurers, but I haven't tested it. What you could do is equip a dwarf with a particular weapon/shield or clothing item, then stun them on top of a cage trap. Then, they would be stuck in a cage with their items forever. You could then place the cage wherever you want and hook it up to a lever for good measure, so that an adventurer could unlock it. Once again: this needs testing, or insight form someone more knowledgeable than me.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 07:19:53 pm »

Wouldn't you have to kill the dwarf to get the item in this case?
Hmm, i think embarking on top of a lair and putting your 'treasure' in there could work...

Seems that the northern civ is a bit short on sites and events that Sasir became so notable there; the name 'Rockstar' is 100% DF legit, by the way, just needed scrolling through the word list. That he got an extra title is somewhat connected to the fact that he killed the demon lawgiver (and the people of the capital don't like him no more). But that's a different story, and the only puzzle involved is the fact that he got hit with demonic fireballs multiple times but wasn't set ablaze.

Sasir would be a poor puzzlesolver: he's very observant, but would have a hard time resisting the temptation to pull any lever he ran across. And he's illiterate to boot.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 08:21:18 pm »

Well, I managed to achieve most of the objectives...

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 09:11:48 pm »

With great regret, the faculty heard of the demise of the esteemed Professor Luslem. The research group questioned some of the local yokels, who confirmed that the intrepid explorer had entered and -not quite successfully, but alive- escaped the feared labyrinths of the Puzzling Crypt, but in a second foray got lost in a dead end and, driven mad by the infuriatingly endless walks through winding tunnels, took his own life, and not even in the way provided by the maze's architects.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 09:13:53 pm by Larix »

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 09:17:26 pm »

I've actually had a character die because I was doing... something (Not sure what it was) that involved the careful movement key. I accidentally had my char step in the wrong direction, namely off a cliff, into a river, and to my death.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

qquanta

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 05:49:59 pm »

I was exploring the maze in Puzzling Crypts when encountered a laden camel. It was just a one-humped camel, but it had blue cap on its head. And cute leather trousers. And white socks, lovingly worn on each of its sinewy legs.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:58:07 pm by qquanta »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 06:05:21 pm »

Bahaha! That's a superb find!

If no other Riddle Masters step forward in the next week, I'll go ahead with some new additions to the Puzzle Fortress.
Pages: 1 [2]